Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Longboard advice

I am about 6' and 180 lbs, and looking to get a longboard with a more classic shape that lends itself to trimming and nose-riding (not that I can do that now, but that is the goal....). BUT - here's the catch - I want something shorter than 8'6" so that it fits more easily in my car.

Is this possible for my size? Anyone have experience with such a shape?

Thanks in advance.

Wavestorme

I can fit my 9ft LB inside my wife's Corolla, go with a 9ft, which is where true LB's start.

Not sure if the wavestorm suggestion was serious, but I want something higher performance, particularly for the winter when I have 10 extra lbs of rubber weight on and I want to up the wave count.

I may end up with something in the 9' range, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone has experience with something shorter but with extra volume in the right places. Do i just need to shrink and lose weight?

also, for clarification, im sure i will still end up shortboarding in anything over waist high, so this is meant as a way to get in the water more when New England is only serving up waist high cold mush but im still starving....

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDoc View Post
    Not sure if the wavestorm suggestion was serious, but I want something higher performance, particularly for the winter when I have 10 extra lbs of rubber weight on and I want to up the wave count.

I may end up with something in the 9' range, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone has experience with something shorter but with extra volume in the right places. Do i just need to shrink and lose weight?
    My first "LB" was an 8'1" McTavish (which I still have), came as a 2+1, switched it to a single fin, that led me to getting a real LB. It's a great board and has decent maneuverability but you'll wish it was a tad longer to get that glide.

An 8'6 with the right shape can start to suggest what a longboard feels like. But like DP said... you don't really get a true longboard, with all the benefits, until you get to 9'0+. If stuffing your board into your car is the limiting factor, give up on the idea. Get lockable racks.

also, for clarification, im sure i will still end up shortboarding in anything over waist high, so this is meant as a way to get in the water more when New England is only serving up waist high cold mush but im still starving....
    http://jblairsurf.com/surfboards/longboards

I was "board" at work so I did a little research. Joe Blair is the shaper. Seems legit and relatively inexpensive. Anybody have any real life experience with these boarts?

I am your size. I had a Robt August made for me 8'8" and is perfect for small day and large days if I decide to use a LB. Model is "What I Ride".
    Fits inside my Subaru Outback easily or on roof of car.
    Three fins 2+ 1 works well.

Wavestorm IS serious wave surf riding gear:

Get another car. 1974 Coupe de Ville is a good starting point