Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Boards

Images

Best Boards

I haven't gotten a board for a couple years. I've been riding the same one every time I surf. The Channel Islands gravy. Its 6'1'' and really easy to pop up in anything. Its Getting lots of sun damage and I had to replace a crack in the nose from dirty jerz. Plus a million pressure dings obviously. I weigh about 125 and am looking for a new board that goes in just about anything, but has a bit more rocker and maybe like 5'10'' or so. Any help appreciated!!!!

My flyer goes in literally anything. Especially crappy beach breaks in New Jersey. It might be a little less rocker than you'd want, but the waves around here can be pretty steep and it never pearls. Mine is 5'10" @ 27 liters. Hope this helps.

Go to surf shops and look BUT DONT BUY

Get an idea in your mind of what you want and the right board will come your way.

Stretch buzzsaw perfect ec board

Too bad they won't let you test ride it before committing the big bucks.

Yeah you could also just go test a few. Or get a custom shape.

Check out some Haydens

Images
    Go to your local shaper, my only comment to these kind of posts.

Images
    If I was rich I would have a dream quiver of haydens, ci's, ajw's, and a potatonator. Unfortunately I am not. Second the local shaper idea. Mine makes me models of the ones I dream of for $300 less than a shop board. And i love them. Find a shape you think you would love (gravy has a good amount of volume right? Maybe a weirdo ripper or shred sled next for you?) and talk to a local shaper.

if you really want to move to a board that is better fitted for your size, you will go through a frustrating adjustment period. Your Gravy is just under 34 liters, per the CI website. You are 125 pounds. You should be riding boards at least 10 liters smaller.

I'm 5'10 180 pounds and in my thirties and all my boards, grovelers through step ups, are between 28 and 32 liters. I'd think a kid your age and at your weight should be riding smaller boards than an older guy that has 50 pounds on you.

I'd recommend playing around with the board selector function on the CI website, just so you can get an idea of what size/volume of board to ride. Take that information to your local shop and get their feedback, and go from there.

Since you will hopefully be making a pretty drastic jump in board volume, i would recommend a board that is a little forgiving. the flyer is a great model for that, and the remix has a little extra width in the tail and nose, but is still very performance oriented. of course other brands and/or a local shaper can offer many different boards that will help.

Good luck. So far you've probably felt pretty good, your riding a shortboard, getting better. Now comes the realization that you've been massively helped by a huge board. size that thing down, and once you get used to it, you'll see your surfing improve drastically. You'll realize the other board helped you in some areas, but held you back in so many other areas.

Keep the current board for the winter, you'll appreciate the volume then...