Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Style and Flow

I would say I have pretty good flow...I read waves pretty well and put myself in proper position to optimize the waves potential. Do, the required maneuvers to "milk" a wave. Cuttback to reform, stall, drop to barrel etc. I think that just comes with experience.

Now, Stylee....that is all in the eye of the beholder. I don't think I necessarily have the greatest style. In fact, it is something I have been aware of and worked on for the last 30+ years. It may be true for all but I find that in good clean waves my style is optimal (from my perspective...lol). Also, I find that as I get older, in small weak surf my style can get pretty erratic b/c I am trying to hard (to CyC's point about making it look easy....that is not me in smaller surf...even with proper board).

If I could pick one style attribute that I love and hate
    I pig dog backside barrel ride pretty well with style I think and I hate that sometimes I have too narrow of a stance going frontside...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Yes... it's the old, "form/function" thing. Good style is usually highly functional, as well as aesthetically pleasing.

I was talking to this guy who's an old dog, now shooting a lot of photos, mostly of his son, who's a very talented surfer. The dad is a nice guy, and does his best to sort of "coach" some of the local kids. So during this one conversation he says to me, "hands up over your head... good picture. Hands up over your head palms up, GREAT picture." I just laughed a little inside... because THAT's what's wrong with "style" these days. It's just too posed... too contrived.
    Right on. I like the ole look relaxed while setting up and then exploding through turns with power. I don't think too much about where my arms and hands are, so they probably are all over the place, except when i'm leaning low into a turn with my hand on the wave face.

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    I would say I have pretty good flow...I read waves pretty well and put myself in proper position to optimize the waves potential. Do, the required maneuvers to "milk" a wave. Cuttback to reform, stall, drop to barrel etc. I think that just comes with experience.

Now, Stylee....that is all in the eye of the beholder. I don't think I necessarily have the greatest style. In fact, it is something I have been aware of and worked on for the last 30+ years. It may be true for all but I find that in good clean waves my style is optimal (from my perspective...lol). Also, I find that as I get older, in small weak surf my style can get pretty erratic b/c I am trying to hard (to CyC's point about making it look easy....that is not me in smaller surf...even with proper board).

If I could pick one style attribute that I love and hate
    I pig dog backside barrel ride pretty well with style I think and I hate that sometimes I have too narrow of a stance going frontside...
    Right on JD about the "trying to hard" part. I watch people who are trying to hard and I shake my head. Then I go out on a short board and I feel like I'm trying to do too much. I kinda lose my awareness and I end up looking like a one-legged man trying to win an ass kicking contest.

Now don't get me wrong about trying to hard. There is a difference between pushing myself and trying to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ChavezyChavez View Post
    Now don't get me wrong about trying to hard. There is a difference between pushing myself and trying to hard.
    I agree, I still like to push myself to "perform at my best" but sometimes I try way to hard on smaller surf and end up kook'n it up.

I think that happens to me when I don't have good wave vision while riding. Sometimes I lose track of where i'm at on the wave and lose the power source, while other times I hold snug to the pocket and utilize the power source at it's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I think that happens to me when I don't have good wave vision while riding. Sometimes I lose track of where i'm at on the wave and lose the power source, while other times I hold snug to the pocket and utilize the power source at it's peak.
    Does this mean you are drinking cheap beer again??

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Does this mean you are drinking cheap beer again??
    HAHA Nope! I mean, does Yuengling Oktoberfest count as cheap? Cause that's what's in my mini fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    HAHA Nope! I mean, does Yuengling Oktoberfest count as cheap? Cause that's what's in my mini fridge.
    Sounds good to meeeee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Sounds good to meeeee!!!
    And it's almost that time...