close ad [x]

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    What a great topic and tread! Keep it up fellers. I wish I could contribute something but I am a mediocre surfer at best with limited experience and abilities. I've learned a lot though. Thanks for keeping it on topic.

Just wait until all you mid fifty aged hit the mid 60s. Big drop off in energy for me despite no alcohol, no drugs, eat lots of veggies etc, take vitamins, etc. There is no stopping, but maybe one can slow down, the aging process. But, on a better note, I have been surfing now for 55 years. I have a few more years to go on my 7 ft boards, then longboards. But SUPs?? Fvck you......twat yachts, nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Just wait until all you mid fifty aged hit the mid 60s. Big drop off in energy for me despite no alcohol, no drugs, eat lots of veggies etc, take vitamins, etc. There is no stopping, but maybe one can slow down, the aging process. But, on a better note, I have been surfing now for 55 years. I have a few more years to go on my 7 ft boards, then longboards. But SUPs?? Fvck you......twat yachts, nothing more.....
    That's true no doubt but I do like seeing how many old dudes there are surfing and having a great time most days I'm out. Gives me hope for 20 more years of this.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Talk to your shaper about how he's going to get the desired length. Is he taking it off the nose, tail, or both? I like to take it off the tail, then re-rocker the tail. This will naturally shift the wide point/thick point of the blank behind center. But your shaper may have other ideas. Still... this is something to talk about, and something you can learn from.
    Thanks - good stuff. Why do you prefer your wide/thick point behind center on a board made for good waves. And how far behind center do you like it - 2 or 3"?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    I gotta give you credit. It takes commitment. And totally agree with you on the SUP, might as well just get that jet powered board and go totally full on douche canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    I gotta give you credit. It takes commitment. And totally agree with you on the SUP, might as well just get that jet powered board and go totally full on douche canoe.
    There's a dude that surfs down here by me that has a WaveJet board. Claims he only uses it for the paddle out. Yeah right. Funny how he sometimes is able to mysteriously accelerate at will to make it past a section. Nice enough guy but man that shiit is ghey.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhallalla View Post
    There's a dude that surfs down here by me that has a WaveJet board. Claims he only uses it for the paddle out. Yeah right. Funny how he sometimes is able to mysteriously accelerate at will to make it past a section. Nice enough guy but man that shiit is ghey.
    and ridikulously heavy too. at least it was when they gave out a demo years ago

Quote Originally Posted by UnfurleD View Post
    and ridikulously heavy too. at least it was when they gave out a demo years ago
    I've never actually picked up his board but that's what I've read. It has a gigantic battery pack thing that goes in the bottom and of course the jet system itself. I could see if you had some physical issues to where you can't paddle or something but I think this guy just has a bunch of money and wanted to spend it. I still think it's lame.

I tend to disagree with the "anti-volume" comments on this thread. I'm 6'1, 205 dripping wet and surf boards from 34 liters to 37 liters.

I think surf simply does a pretty good job of discussing volume in this article http://surfsimply.com/surf-coaching/...weight-ratios/.

For me, looking at volume has really changed how I buy my boards. I find the sweet spot volumes for me fit pretty much in line with the chart in that article and I make decisions on rocker, rails, tail, etc depending on the conditions that the board will be used in.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Why do you prefer your wide/thick point behind center on a board made for good waves. And how far behind center do you like it - 2 or 3"?
    He may be after something different... which is why he needs to talk to his shaper... but my personal preference is to get the wide point between my feet more. If this is a board for "good waves," I'd still be looking for performance. If it was for "big waves," I'd be looking more for a board that has down the line speed and projection, in which case I'd want the wide point at center, as opposed to behind it. Putting the wide point behind center also lets you put more curve in the outline from the wide point back, and if he's looking for a round tail, it all flows together nicely.

For boards for small and medium sized waves, I like my wide point at or ahead of center, depending on whether it's a groveler type shortboard (at center), or an alt shape or fish (ahead of center).