close ad [x]

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77
  1. #21
    Do people really get divorced because their wife says they're not allowed to surf? Good god, glad I've never been married haha!

    I knew a guy that I used to ride dirtbikes with, whose wife told him she didn't want him riding anymore. He started riding again about a year or two later though and I'm pretty sure he was still with his wife and they didn't split. Guess she changed her mind or he stood up for himself there.

    After breaking my ankle on my own bike a few years later and seeing other people get ****ed by hurting themselves, I started to sympathize a bit with wives who don't want their husbands riding. I had to be out of work for 4 or 5 months and had to collect disability, which it took like a month or something to get. I was actually in the market for a house about 3-6 months before this happened, which the mortgage/taxes/insurance alone would have cost about as much as disability insurance check. My friend wound up getting hurt on his bike and had to file for bankruptcy after he fell behind.

    I haven't encountered as many surfing injuries though. I think it's pretty safe, unless you're a novice. On the bike, all it takes it one wipe out and you could be on the shelf for months

  2. #22
    Bassmon the best thing I did was find a jeweler that allowed me to design the ring from scratch. Total one off and she will never see another like it.

    I got lucky in that mine understands that I need boards and wetsuites for different occasions just like she does shoes. But Craigslist boards don't count, I've always had that one.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by BassMon2 View Post
    She's actually a really really really good cook. And diverse in her cooking too boot.
    Dude, she cooked a boot?

    My wife would divorce me if I ever stopped taking her to the beach.

    Reality Check, buoys: How many of you has a wife that immediately goes out and guys some expensive Coach bag or piece of jewelry after finding out about your latest surfing purchase?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    2,579
    When my wife saw that I was less stressed, less angry, and more happy, she did not have a problem with me surfing. But there has to be a balance.

  5. #25
    Just bear in mind one crucial piece of advice:

    A ring doesn't plug a hole.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,744
    JUST A BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY!!

    A couple were in a busy shopping center just before Christmas. The wife suddenly noticed that her husband was missing and as they had a lot to do, she called him on the mobile.

    The wife said " Where are you, you know we have lots to do."

    He said "You remember the jewelers we went into about 10 years ago, and you fell in love with that diamond necklace? I could not afford it at the time and I said that one day I would get it for you?"

    Little tears started to flow down her cheek and she got all
    choked up…



    "Yes, I do remember that shop." she replied.



    "Well I am in the surf shop next door to that."

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Carolina's Barrier Islands
    Posts
    1,237
    I tell every girl up front: "I'm like a surgeon, always on call. If I get the call I'm going, no matter what". That said I have still ended several relationships over surfing. Thank science I have never married.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    If you can't get a wetsuite without hassle after busting your ass for that paycheck then you have bigger problems my friend. Deal with it early or you'll be sorry.
    This x 1000. I started drifting down this path shortly after I got married, not necessarily with regard to wetsuites or even buying stuff, but just trying to avoid an argument/fight/tension even when my position was perfectly reasonable... think I came to my senses before too far gone though. Bottom line is if one's wife would literally file for divorce over a wetsuite purchase, it's either the last straw in a long line of more serious issues (99% chance) or she is certifiably mentally ill and you're probably better off hopping off that train now (1% chance). Unless you are an unemployed stoner and she earns 100% of the household income... no, strike that, that would fall into the 99% under the heading of "more serious issues."

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Asking? The day I had to ask would have been the day I didn't get married. Now with that said, when my son was really little I have said "mind if I go for a surf as I was walking out the door." This was a s a courtesy more than anything, never got a no and don't know what would have happened if I did.
    I've been trying walk this line for the past 9 months or so since my daughter was born, but haven't had many issues so far. I usually try to give my wife a courtesy heads up as to when I'm planning to surf (especially dawn patrol, because that affects which of us gets up with the baby), and occasionally will say something like "do you mind if I go surfing?" or "I'm planning to surf this afternoon around 4, does that conflict with any of your plans?" but that's as far as it goes. Very careful not to ever phrase it as "can I go surfing this afternoon?" She ain't my boss and she ain't my mother and I'll be damned if she gets to tell me what I can or can't do.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post
    my wife is pretty cool...been together since we were yungins in high school. Been together for about 35 years.

    I got give her credit, I go through mad phases...surfing hard, skiiing hard in the winter, tho she occasionally joined me skiing, then I got into mountain biking, then golf, then surf fishing, then back to surfing and skateboarding and we are not talking about other hobbies, home theater were I spent countless days and nights working on it and playing with it. Built surfrods non stop for a couple years...darn dining room table was rod building area. When I surfed fish, I would head out around 9pm when she goes to bed, and fish till 2-3am. Fished, surfed, skied, biked, golf alot...Iam talking doing this stuff 3 days a week, tho at times sh e would get pissed for good reason, for the most part, has been very cool about my phases. Now I just started a reef tank and been working non stop on it for the last couple months...I think she thinks Iam nuts...I dont half ass anything, I dive right into it no matter what it is...AND WITH ALL THIS, SHE HAS BEEN COOL. Consider me lucky
    Lucky to a degree, but I think there's more to it than that... I'm assuming this has been a defining part of who you are as long as she's known you. While on any given day she might prefer that you skip whatever your current obsession of the moment is to hang out with her instead, this is a dangerous path to go down in the long wrong... making that same choice too many times in a row very quickly turns you into a different and much more boring person than the one she was initially attracted to (not to mention, when the hobbies in question are largely physical, it probably turns you into a fatter and uglier one as well). A lot of people (both male and female) don't realize this, especially in the moment when a dude's wife is pissed that he's going surfing for the 5th morning in a row and she would prefer he get the baby up and then make coffee and hang out in front of the fire drinking it with her (this might be semi-autobiographical), but I'm 100% convinced it's a thing. I would say you're lucky, in that the level of sh!t she gave you about indulging your hobbies/obsessions never reached the point that you gave them up or one or both of you wanted to divorce, but I would argue in the bigger scheme of things you've been together for that long largely BECAUSE of everything you listed, not in spite of it. Then again, I've only been married for a few years, so wtf do I know. Other than I can pretty much surf or buy wetsuites whenever I want, and in the bigger scheme of things my wife doesn't seem any more bothered by this than back when I used to be afraid to even ask her if I could go surfing because I was afraid she might say no.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rehoboth
    Posts
    319
    I remember one morning woke up leaned over whisper in my wife's hear can't decide to make wild Love or go surfing and she replied don't forget your wet suit ...................