Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. He has lost a step. He should retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Is he part of your homoerotic dreams...?
    Statements like this one really showcase your arrested development Barry...

I am a huge Slater fan, but I simply cannot get inside his mentality.

I have an Excel spreadsheet, and I've worked out exactly how much money I have to have before I can say F-you to the world and never work again, and do whatever I want for the rest of my life.

With all his money and talent, why he would still put up with tour BS when he could buy a beautiful pad on the North Shore, or even some remote outer island in the South Pacific, with warm, clear blue water and endless waves and hotties...I can only say that I'd buy my piece of paradise and spend the rest of my life surfing perfect waves, spearfishing when it's flat, and drinking beer in the evenings.

I just don't understand the idea of working after you have "enough." Even if "working" means being a professional surfer.

Ego. That's why. But he deserves it. Florida boy- Kechle protoge - Pipe Master World Champ 20 times - enough said. He redefined the sport, gave us one of the great rivalries of all time v. AI, inspired a generation of talent, then another generation of talent - keep on hating - go listen to Taylor Swift

I just heard he applied for a license to build a wavepool in Jupiter -none of you haters are allowed during summer - go to Typhoon Lagoon. You are not allowed even in the nearby fabled saltwater breaks unless you shave your heads in allegiance and say Hail Kelly five times before you paddle out.

Now go shuffle off *****es.

If he's having fun and still competitive why not continue? When it's no longer fun, walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    I just don't understand the idea of working after you have "enough." Even if "working" means being a professional surfer.
    I used to ask this question all the time when I was younger. When you get older, you'll understand a little better.

Most people deteriorate quickly (or even die!) once they completely quit working. Maybe something to do with thinking and motor skills going dormant. So I've found that having a balance between "work" and "living the dream" keeps most people active and sane.

And the comfort of knowing that you can say "eff you" to employment at any time is a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    I am a huge Slater fan, but I simply cannot get inside his mentality.

I have an Excel spreadsheet, and I've worked out exactly how much money I have to have before I can say F-you to the world and never work again, and do whatever I want for the rest of my life.

With all his money and talent, why he would still put up with tour BS when he could buy a beautiful pad on the North Shore, or even some remote outer island in the South Pacific, with warm, clear blue water and endless waves and hotties...I can only say that I'd buy my piece of paradise and spend the rest of my life surfing perfect waves, spearfishing when it's flat, and drinking beer in the evenings.

Retiring sounds pretty appetizing when you're in his position, or at least working some kind of a reduced schedule, where he doesn't compete on the entire tour. I'm not really sure where he resides, probably has a few houses. I went to school with a guy who competed professionally surfing, but then he ''Retired''. He wasn't very competitive though, and not all that great as far as the professionals go. He's really good when compared to me, but he can't measure up against some of the best. I think he also lost passion for competing, and just likes to stay home (The Big Island in Hawaii) and surf every day. He runs a surf shop and occasionally takes trips over to Maui and almost a month in Rincon every year. I can't even remember if he actually lives in Maui or the Big Island. I don't actually talk to him anymore and have never really surfed with him, as he's been out west and Hawaii since high school ended (1989) but my buddies still in Jersey keep in touch with him and take the trips to Rincon with him annually.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    If he's having fun and still competitive why not continue? When it's no longer fun, walk away.
    That's how I feel. A semi-retirement sounds pretty sweet if I were in his position, but competing is pretty nice too. He's still arguably the best, so I don't think he's just a guy collecting $$$$ and just doesn't wanna let it go. Like certain other washed up athletes or guys who hung on too long.

@ Barry Cuda "Yaawwwwwnnnnnn!!!
    Who gives a fvck ....."

Show some respect. Nobody likes jackas*es like you in the line up.
    Last edited by sattebury; Mar 17, 2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Is he part of your homoerotic dreams...?
    Barry Cuda? Listen just because you were diddled by your uncle or babysitter when you were little and haven't worked that out, doesn't mean you have to spread your diseased thoughts on here. We get that you're damaged goods and we're pulling for you, but contain your thoughts to your therapy sessions for now. Give it time. you'll heal.

Quote Originally Posted by sattebury View Post
    Barry Cuda? Listen just because you were diddled by your uncle or babysitter when you were little and haven't worked that out, doesn't mean you have to spread your diseased thoughts on here. We get that you're damaged goods and we're pulling for you, but contain your thoughts to your therapy sessions for now. Give it time. you'll heal.
    Another Slater homo.......and no intro post to boot.