Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: traction pads

traction pads

In your biased opinion, are they really necessary?

I've been riding my 6-0 groveler a lot this spring, and at that size, I know most borts have traction pads. I've never had a problem with grip or anything like that, but I do feel a little like a black sheep going nude in the tail. I guess I learned without anything back there and just haven't felt the need...

Not that being different from the "mommy bought me this CI" masses is a bad thing, but if I'm actually missing out on any performance I'd slap one on in a segundo.

Stomp pads...?

Quote Originally Posted by foamieswithmyhomies View Post
    In your biased opinion, are they really necessary?

I've been riding my 6-0 groveler a lot this spring, and at that size, I know most borts have traction pads. I've never had a problem with grip or anything like that, but I do feel a little like a black sheep going nude in the tail. I guess I learned without anything back there and just haven't felt the need...

Not that being different from the "mommy bought me this CI" masses is a bad thing, but if I'm actually missing out on any performance I'd slap one on in a segundo.
    They aren't necessary per say, but on SB's it helps. I have ridden a SB without one and with one, and I will choose to have one for now on.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    They aren't necessary per say, but on SB's it helps. I have ridden a SB without one and with one, and I will choose to have one for now on.
    I am the opposite. I like it mo' betta without one.
    Then again, my feet soles have frog-like suction cups that cancel any need for pads, which are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    I am the opposite. I like it mo' betta without one.
    Then again, my feet soles have frog-like suction cups that cancel any need for pads, which are gay.
    Whatever works for you, ribbit...

I think if you are actually driving your back foot into turns you want it. Nothing worse than your back foot sliding off the back and getting a nasty groin pull.

I like having the back stop back there and a raised arch as reference points and to give extra grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    I think if you are actually driving your back foot into turns you want it. Nothing worse than your back foot sliding off the back and getting a nasty groin pull.
    You do know that you are supposed to wax your board, right??
    brrrrpppp!!!!

I have 9 boards in the quiver and only 1 has a traction pad. The one that does is a step up (6'5) and the reason I put one on there was to help with foot placement as I'm not use to riding a board that length. Most seem to have them but they've never done much for me.

Interesting, I really didn't think there was much of a need as long as you've got a decent coat of wax. I've had the slipping problem a few times before, but that's only been when the water has been super cold and I didn't put enough wax on. Then it can be a bar of soap.

Maybe I'll just wax the top and bottom of my bort from now on to ensure maximum speed and/or traction. I hear that's what Laird does