Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 board quiver

2 board quiver

I have a bunch of boards (currently 6 after a sell off)...but I find that I only use the same two over and over. A groveler when it is small and weak and a Coil shortboard for anything from shoulder to OH. Since I am not 'Chasing Mavericks' ,and how often do we really see anything more than a few feet OH anyway, I just don't have a need for a step up. I took that Coil on my last trip to C.R. and it handled some big punchy stuff with ease.
    Just wondering what you guys are spending the majority of time on. I may just get rid of the rest of what is taking up space in my garage.

The majority of the time I'm on a fish, 'cause that's what works best for me in waves waist to chest, and that's what we get most of the time. Less than waist high, I'm on a log. Chest +... a shortboard.

So I guess I'd have to say I need that third board in my core quiver. Everything else... a Mini Sim, a big wave board, a few novelty boards... are for specific kinds of waves, or just fluff for when I'm bored.

Images
    I ride the same board from waist high on up. Knee high and under I almost never surf unless the water is super warm and I'm just screwing around then I go to my 5' twin fin home shaped block of foam.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    The majority of the time I'm on a fish, 'cause that's what works best for me in waves waist to chest, and that's what we get most of the time. Less than waist high, I'm on a log. Chest +... a shortboard.

So I guess I'd have to say I need that third board in my core quiver. Everything else... a Mini Sim, a big wave board, a few novelty boards... are for specific kinds of waves, or just fluff for when I'm bored.
    I'm with LBCrew, I have 5 boards in the rotation right now but really only 3 of them get any love. The LB and Fish get most of the action due to conditions, the HPSB comes out to play a handful of times per year.

I use a rhino chaser all the time.....I am that kind of a guy,i.e., "be prepared".

I find what keeps my sessions fresh is variety. The boards that I find essential are a Baked Potato for really small days. A couple different sized twin fins (a more modern one and a classic one with the deep vee tail) for the lined up medium sized days. The classic one I can ride on any wave you can longboard on so that's my "longboard". A couple good hurricane type boards anywhere from 5'8 to 5'11. I have a step up that I haven't ridden it in ages but it's paid for and in good shape so I keep it because you never know. And the board that makes my quiver and keeps my anxiety down is a good travel board. I just use it for travel, it's an oldie but a goodie JS and if it gets beat up in transit it doesn't ruin my day. It's a good all around board and unless it's gigantic that board always does the trick. Oh yeah....and a Beater.
    If I had to pair down to 2 though it would be the modern twin fin and my favorite hurricane/winter type shortboard.

There's gotta be almost 20 wave riding devices in my garage. Most belong to my boys. Longborts, shortborts, fishes, boogity boards, skim boards, hand planes, etc. 3 of them are mine. A longboard a rarely, if ever use, a 6'6 fish I ride 90 percent of the time around here (waist/chest or smaller waves), and a 6'8 short board/hybrid that Brian Heritage made for me like 15 years ago which I ride when we get the meaty Nor Easter/Hurricane stuff.
    I'm gonna be 55 years old. I know what I like to ride and when. My experimenting days are over and I'm VERY OK with that.

9' singlefin LB for when it's small and clean, it's gathering dust, but I always take it with me on trips upcoast in case it's too small to use the fish.

6'6" homemade epoxy rocket fish - I ride that in windchoppe up to chest high it's my go to in typical mush, slop, chop.

6'6" NA roundnose, round tail future set up - I like it in waist to OH, but needs to be clean, too much volume to duck dive choppe. Goes real fast. I guess it doesn't get good enough often enough to ride it alot, but it's magic.

6'6" Orion swallowtail - old yeller for and old feller - it's good in chest to HH plus gnar, and clean way OH quality surf. Probably weighs a couple pounds more than when I got it brand new, but it's about an inch or two shorter from nose dingage. I wish I could ride it more, maybe in a month or two when football and hurricane season roll into town.

Then I have a mini fish, a mini LB, and a 6'8" Orian pintail for when it gets too big for me, I'll sell it for $150, it's in god shape, but who am I kidding, I'm not surfing DOH plus barrells anytime soon. Maybe in my next incarnation.

I don't want to narrow down to two, but if I did, it would be the Orion swallowtail "old yeller" for good days and gnar, and the LB for small and medium clean days. There would be a range of waves, waist to chest and choppy, where the LB would be clunky, and the old yeller would be overgunned, I would still catch waves, but regret not having the rocket fish. I am a spoiled bastard.

Variety's the spice of life, I'm pretty sure this is what I've ridden in the last week:
    7/10 I rode a 7'2 single fin egg in the morning and a body board in the evening
    7/11 I rode a 6'6 quad
    7/12 I rode a different 6'6 as a thruster
    7/13 I rode a 6'4 3 fin bonzer
    7/14 I rode a 6'2 thruster
    7/15 in the morning I rode a 5'9 fish and in the evening I rode a 9'6 single
    7/16 I rode the 9'6 in the AM

Surf looked less than inspiring this morning, maybe this evening's glass off

I've had a 5'6" Kingdom SOAR for a few months now and find myself riding it in knee to almost head high. I thought it would be a board to just ride in weak stuff but its suited me well in bigger faster lines. Anything bigger than head which is rare in my area i have my 5'11" sharpeye quad thruster. Also if its less than thigh or barely rideable and i just want to surf sometimes i'll take one of the old longboards laying around to have some fun