Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Road Trip

Best Road Trip

I was going through some pictures today of a trip I took a few years back: hauling from SF down to LA. I know it's not the most unique trip on Earth, but for a week it was just me, my board and the big blue Pacific. I think there's benefits to be had spending considerable time alone, it really helps you reset. Throw in the ocean and it's the best detox money can't buy. I remember pulling off the highway at one point near the Point Sur Lighthouse with no cell service, no cars around and nothing but me and the crickets and the pounding ocean. I snapped a pic - I wish I could get a HQ version up here.

I may have ventured off California 1 for a maximum of 5 miles the whole trip, and was able to stop at so many great town/surf spots along the way. Surfing Sandspit, chest/head high, with one other dude in Santa Barbara may have been the highlight of the trip.

Since car advise is covered, what's been the best road trip you've taken, surf or otherwise with said auto? Curious to hear how many have made this same trip before.

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

FullSizeRender 7.jpg

Years back, I just got home to DE after a 3 month stay in San Diego. My cousin and I drove to FL to my old stomping grounds. On the way down, stopped by a college to see some chicks, then to Daytona, then to Cocoa to surf for a few hours. Then hopped back in the whip and drove over to good ol' Pinellas County. fished, drank, saw some old friends, met some new female friends, visited some family up in Tarpon. Then drove back home. It was fun being able to stop where ever the F we wanted whenever the F we wanted. Only surfed on the way down. On the way back we stopped back by my friends college and partied for a night. Good times

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Years back, I just got home to DE after a 3 month stay in San Diego. My cousin and I drove to FL to my old stomping grounds. On the way down, stopped by a college to see some chicks, then to Daytona, then to Cocoa to surf for a few hours. Then hopped back in the whip and drove over to good ol' Pinellas County. fished, drank, saw some old friends, met some new female friends, visited some family up in Tarpon. Then drove back home. It was fun being able to stop where ever the F we wanted whenever the F we wanted. Only surfed on the way down. On the way back we stopped back by my friends college and partied for a night. Good times
    That's a fun trip Z! I've hauled from Key West to NYC (twice!) and loved taking my time up 95. Stopped in Palm Beach, St. Augustine, Savannah, Chucktown and some others. I love that southern way of life but man idk if I can handle that slow pace everyday.

Obviously stopped at Pedro's too.

Images
    Nice pix foamie. & sounds like a great trip. Makes me think, maybe one day...

In the mid 80's I drove a VW bus from Jacksonville Florida to Fairbanks Alaska. Just me and my two dogs. No heat, defrost, cell phone, GPS. Just pointed northwest and kept going. Camped out most of the way. I got lost a couple of times and made a few tactical errors and ended up driving 6,000 miles. At that time 1500 miles of the ALCAN Highway was unpaved. To top it off, once I got up there the van blew up and I had to hitchhike 365 miles through the interior. Other than seeing my children get born it was the most amazing adventure of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by foamieswithmyhomies View Post
    That's a fun trip Z! I've hauled from Key West to NYC (twice!) and loved taking my time up 95. Stopped in Palm Beach, St. Augustine, Savannah, Chucktown and some others. I love that southern way of life but man idk if I can handle that slow pace everyday.

Obviously stopped at Pedro's too.
    I had done so many trips with the fam when I was little and we didn't stop except to use the bathroom. So it was nice to be able to stop where ever. It wasn't by myself, but my cousin is pretty laid back and was down for all of it. HA HA Pedro's, that dump, but you have to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    In the mid 80's I drove a VW bus from Jacksonville Florida to Fairbanks Alaska. Just me and my two dogs. No heat, defrost, cell phone, GPS. Just pointed northwest and kept going. Camped out most of the way. I got lost a couple of times and made a few tactical errors and ended up driving 6,000 miles. At that time 1500 miles of the ALCAN Highway was unpaved. To top it off, once I got up there the van blew up and I had to hitchhike 365 miles through the interior. Other than seeing my children get born it was the most amazing adventure of my life.
    Damn Pdub, that's a rugged trip! Sounds like it def was a rewarding trip!

Did the SF to SD trip one time... that was the best. Surfed a ton of spots, some I don't even know the names of. Others, including Rincon, Malibu, San O, Trestles... were less exciting, but still rewarding in other waves. The best experience I had on that trip was a super glassy day at some nameless rock reef just south of San Simeon. Just me and a bunch of seals. It wasn't that big... just crazy beautiful and not another surfer in sight. Made me feel like what it must have felt like back in the '60 when dudes when on a "surfin' safari" up and down the coast.

8. When my last grandparent died, I ditched work and drove from SE NC to Rhode Island. I don't remember the storm that was spinning out in the Atlantic, but there was a storm and surf all the way up the coast. I spent 5 days in Rhode Island, surfing Point Judith, Matunuk and that crazy long left in the cove that I can't remember. I just remember my cousin said it only broke once or twice a year. It wasn't quite big enough for Ruggles to work, but there were guys out there giving it a try. On the way back down I went down the Outer Banks and caught Nags Head pier a few feet over head and perfect. I check the Hatteras Lighthouse too, but it wasn't right. Took the ferry back to the mainland and drove home. I did it all by myself and it was perfect.

There is the opportunity, if we get a slow spinning hurricane, to duplicate that trip, and even take it on up to the Canadian maritimes. I think that would be the perfect trip. Outerbanks - Rhode Island (f* jersey) - New Hampshire - Nova Scotia. You could also start in Florida, I guess, but there is a big distance between North Florida and the Outerbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCutback View Post
    There is the opportunity, if we get a slow spinning hurricane, to duplicate that trip, and even take it on up to the Canadian maritimes. I think that would be the perfect trip. Outerbanks - Rhode Island (f* jersey) - New Hampshire - Nova Scotia. You could also start in Florida, I guess, but there is a big distance between North Florida and the Outerbanks.
    Great book about two Limeys who do just that:

https://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Dean-.../dp/184024741X

Check it out, fun late summer read.

I went to Camden, NJ and crushed it.