Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Carolina's Barrier Islands
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Bump View Post
    I'd rather not drown while conscious, that sounds unpleasant. In general, if I die surfing, there's a chance my body wouldn't be recovered, which could cause some insurance headaches. Luckily I usually surf with at least one other dude.
    I got pretty dang close to drowning once about 10 years ago. TBH, as your losing strength and about to go under, it's actually kind of peaceful. Luckily I did have a buddy out there with me and he saved my life that day.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    sea
    Posts
    4,500
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    I got pretty dang close to drowning once about 10 years ago. TBH, as your losing strength and about to go under, it's actually kind of peaceful. Luckily I did have a buddy out there with me and he saved my life that day.
    I have never been close to actual drowning,plenty of sketchy times,but never had to be rescued...but I was choked out by a cop when I was 15 and that was the closest I think I came to passing out.it was crazy because I was trying to scream,and nothing would come out,not even a squeak.i been choked out by friends and stuff just horsing around,but never been choked how that cop got me.i cant say it was a pleasant feeling,after about 40 seconds I started to doze off,right on the limit and the cop finally took his knee off my neck.

    drowning/suffocation is my greatest fear,as long as I'm conscious and not being held under a 30 ft wave I will always have the will to fight.being on a boat in the middle of the ocean is the scariest thing in my eyes because u cant see land and have no clue what direction to start swimming.as long as I can see land I'm making a move for it.

  3. #23
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/66...-banks_149498/

    While most of the time I would agree that "died doing what he loved" sounds kinda dumb, a 66 year old going out in Outer Banks hurricane surf aint bad. Beats dying from a heart attack while eating nachos and watching the NFL.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    8,491
    Quote Originally Posted by fungus View Post
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/66...-banks_149498/

    While most of the time I would agree that "died doing what he loved" sounds kinda dumb, a 66 year old going out in Outer Banks hurricane surf aint bad. Beats dying from a heart attack while eating nachos and watching the NFL.
    Watching an NFL game? You should be killed.
    But the nachos thing?? Depends....what kind of nachos??

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Watching an NFL game? You should be killed.
    But the nachos thing?? Depends....what kind of nachos??
    Throw everything on nachos but onions. Never onions.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    sea
    Posts
    4,500
    I'm sure quite a few people died this weekend swimming in the ocean

  7. #27
    You know, i had a really sketchy moment a few years back. Iv had a few sketchy moments in the water and iv always been really calm and ok with whatever happens.

    But this one time. I thought i was passing out for sure. In reality i probably wasn't that close to drowning, but in my mind it was all over. After being choked out in judo multiple times, i did know i was damn close to passing out. It was a big day and it was a situation where i didn't get a breath in after already taking 3 or 4 set waves on the head and being completely rag dolled. I was gassed. Got like a quarter breath in with some water and got worked twice as hard as any of the previous waves. Any way, there was a moment where i knew there was nothing i could do. All i can do is stay calm and hope for the best. I was very at peace. Its odd to say but i was almost ok with it. Because i was surfing.

    At the end of the day it probably felt allot worse then it was. But the point is that in my mind i was close, and i was ok with it. I completely understand the phrase "at least he/she died doing what they loved"

  8. #28
    I almost died once but then put the glass of milk back in the fridge.

    Wait, wrong thread.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    8,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavestrom View Post
    I almost died once but then put the glass of milk back in the fridge.

    Wait, wrong thread.
    Wow, even cows are trying to kill you.......??? <grin>

  10. #30
    Won at us surfing championships in 1974