Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Worst Beat Down Ever

My worst beat down ever happened at Puerto Escondido in April 2007.
    Messing around on a barely over head high day near low tide.
    Went over the falls and it felt like I was body slammed onto concrete.
    Left me severely rattled.
    I've had double hold downs in far bigger waves, and went over the falls on far bigger waves, but that was my worst beat down ever.

When and where was yours?

archy?

i paddled out at lantana public one day after work in an early spring northeaster refracto swell. it was waist high and low tide. i was so amped and just wanted to surf. a nug came at me while paddling out and i thought i would just paddle thu (because fvck duck diving i'm amping). it picked me up and slammed me against the sand/rocks and pinned the board to my chest. at first i was like oh lol, how cute. then i couldn't get up and went from pissed to panic. got a bloody back and coughed up salt water.

not my worst but the most humbling

Funny how a lot of us have our worst beat downs on medium sized days.

When it's big, I surf conservatively... I think more and pay attention. When it's not that big, I just get all amped up jump on anything. That's when I pay for my mistakes.... not timing the paddle out... not taking a big enough breath... going on waves that you just say, "F it... so what if I don't make it."

When it's big, I make fewer bad choices.

I got a good beating today. Didn't pull in the barrel and wave broke on me back. Got launched into the air then held down, then took 4/5 set waves on the head. It was my second wave of the day lol. Later I pulled into a meaty close out and snapped my leash. Great day. Evening when wind died down was like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Funny how a lot of us have our worst beat downs on medium sized days.

When it's big, I surf conservatively... I think more and pay attention. When it's not that big, I just get all amped up jump on anything. That's when I pay for my mistakes.... not timing the paddle out... not taking a big enough breath... going on waves that you just say, "F it... so what if I don't make it."

When it's big, I make fewer bad choices.
    It’s so true.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrol321 View Post
    Itís so true.
    And most are more likely to sustain an injury on sandy bottoms than reef bottoms. Fear of rocks/reefs makes most be more careful.
    My biggest beat down was on a 10-12 foot day at Marias, Rincon PR, about 10 years ago--late take off, fell off got slammed into reef, smacking my head on brain coral, scratched head, shoulder and knee. Came up, by board was 2 feet away, still leashed on. I will never again say to myself, "this is my last wave for today". Every time I do, something goes wrong........

Images
    had a hold down whilst paddling oot last winter that had me shook for months. good size day once out, but nothing out of the norm on the paddle out, it just got me right on my duck dive, pushed me down and towed me a while. didn't even like holding the breath in the pool for a while after that one

other than that, nothing even close to what you all describe. just your regular getting caught on the inside and having to duck dive or give up and dive for up to 8 waves at a time until getting back out

I got shredded like some cheddar cheese on a reef this summer in Tobago. It couldn't have been more than chest high, but my POS rental's leash snapped and I ended up having to walk-swim over 50 yards of coral. Yummy!