close ad [x]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Mountain Biking Advice

Has anyone tried mountain biking? I'm looking to get into the sport and would appreciate any advice. It looks pretty fun cruising around some off road trails. I road bike 30-50 miles on the regular so the athletic aspect should not be a problem.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Paging Pumpmaster...

I think he actually uses a mountain bike for its intended porpoise.

I just use mine to play kid slalom on the seawall.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    Paging Pumpmaster...

I think he actually uses a mountain bike for its intended porpoise.

I just use mine to play kid slalom on the seawall.

I only ride downhill at bike parks now . WhiteClay creek up near Newark is super fun.

4. Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I only ride downhill at bike parks now . WhiteClay creek up near Newark is super fun.
    HA!

Dude, I keep waitin for your aviator to say "Hey Dumbass!"

So for biking i guess it depends on what you like. I'd say get a solid full suspension bike. They can be bought on pinkbike used and will save you a ton of money. theirs tons of great riding fairly close to Deleware.

Step one
    Don't say off road
    Step two
    You're not cruising you're feckin pinnin it
    Step three
    Join Pinkbike
    Step four
    Don't buy a bike from Max Gurvitz on Pinkbike cuz he'll send it to you with a j bend spoke in a straight pull hub and the cost of replacing the wheel set will be around 800 USD
    Step five
    Little ring biatch

Advice on mountain biking: Do not fall.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Advice on mountain biking: Do not fall.
    and if you do fall, break your collarbone. I hear it feels fantastic.

This is all good advice. Thank you. I'm pretty close to white clay so I'll definitely check it out.

Do they make a soft foam bike for beginners ahaha? Happy Friday everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    White Clay is phenomenal. My favorite trail system on the east coast. Though my preferences lean toward fast and flowy with long climbs and descents... those looking for super technical riding would be quickly bored there.

I have barely ridden in the past year, due to a combination of bull**** life excuses and frequent good waves here, but have gone through periods where I was pretty much obsessed with it (when I lived in Colorado, and to a lesser extent when I lived in MD). While I've never loved it quite as much as surfing or skiing, there are a whole lot more days per year that have optimal MTB conditions than optimal conditions for the other two. Especially here on the east coast. Also, it's by far the best of three for keeping you in shape IMO (that statement absolutely does not apply if you are surfing bigger waves, spots with long paddle-outs, or skiing/snowboarding powder in the backcountry, but again... we're on the east coast so you're probably not doing those things all that many times per year). Since I started writing this I completely forgot what the specific questions were so I'll follow up with another post in a minute if applicable.

Bottom line: mountain biking is awesome and I highly, highly recommend getting into it. A lot of the same vibe of surfing or skiing/snowboarding, but a much better workout and where you live there's probably 200-300 days per year where the conditions are good for it, depending on the year, and your tolerance for riding when it's cold but dry (good ski gear + winter hiking boots can make this relatively comfortable).