Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Most restaraunts in San Diego are over priced, the foods subpar, the service sucks and we are in the middle of a hepatitis epidemic. There are some gems though. Irvine would be a hell of a commute. I live in Oside and go up there for work sometimes, if you don't hit traffic it only takes 45 minutes, same as downtown San Diego. On a Friday afternoon you are looking at a 2-3 hour commute one wsy, whether it's from La Jolla or Anaheim or El Cajon. Freeways become parking lots. Cost of living is very high. The average home price is over $500000. Gun laws sucks. Gas is over $3 a gallon and only going up. Taxes suck. 2/3rds of all live births in the county are to non-resident aliens. Schools are crowded and we have state and local pension liabilities that are about to explode. If you work in government be prepared to have between 7-15% taken from your paycheck for pension obligation. The water is dirty. The waves are crowded. People are stand-offish and it takes a long time to form a social circle. The weather's nice though. As long as you dont live more than 3 or 4 miles from the coast.

My wife and I have a lot of family out here. I work 8 minutes from home and live less than 2 miles from the beach. I'm know just about everybody i surf with. LMy house's mortgage is less than the average single bedroom apartment ren't. My kid goes to a good school and I make enough that my wife doesn't have to work.

If you can swing it, it's great out here; but mlost people are living pay check to pay check and carry 3x more debt than the national average.

Aloha

Quote Originally Posted by Not zaGaffer View Post
    Most restaraunts in San Diego are over priced, the foods subpar, the service sucks and we are in the middle of a hepatitis epidemic. There are some gems though. Irvine would be a hell of a commute. I live in Oside and go up there for work sometimes, if you don't hit traffic it only takes 45 minutes, same as downtown San Diego. On a Friday afternoon you are looking at a 2-3 hour commute one wsy, whether it's from La Jolla or Anaheim or El Cajon. Freeways become parking lots. Cost of living is very high. The average home price is over $500000. Gun laws sucks. Gas is over $3 a gallon and only going up. Taxes suck. 2/3rds of all live births in the county are to non-resident aliens. Schools are crowded and we have state and local pension liabilities that are about to explode. If you work in government be prepared to have between 7-15% taken from your paycheck for pension obligation. The water is dirty. The waves are crowded. People are stand-offish and it takes a long time to form a social circle. The weather's nice though. As long as you dont live more than 3 or 4 miles from the coast.

My wife and I have a lot of family out here. I work 8 minutes from home and live less than 2 miles from the beach. I'm know just about everybody i surf with. LMy house's mortgage is less than the average single bedroom apartment ren't. My kid goes to a good school and I make enough that my wife doesn't have to work.

If you can swing it, it's great out here; but mlost people are living pay check to pay check and carry 3x more debt than the national average.

Aloha
    So you are saying I can buy an overpriced home, overpriced car, run up credit card bills....then default on all of it, transfer pay-off to tax payers, live like a king for a while, then split and move back to Mejico BEFORE I am caught?? Wow...that sounds like the American Dream!! And all thanks to Jerry Brown, Mr. MoonBeam!!!!
    Only in America!!!!

Love California, the land.

Mex food is great, but it stops there really.

The people are (in general) so full of themselves I'm not sure how they get by each day.

Get ready to hear "born and raised" a lot when you visit. They love that term out there.

I was "born and raised" and lived over half my life there.

Just got back from spending a week there to surf and visit friends and family.

I'm so totally over SoCal. It's the greatest place in the world, and it's the worst place in the world.

But since the OP is only 20, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

Commute to Irvine? Lmao. Just the drive from SDSU to anywhere west, north or south is a primer in Road Rage 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Mund View Post
    Head north and go straight to Mavricks.
    yeah let me ship my jet ski out there while I'm at it

Quote Originally Posted by La_Piedra View Post

Commute to Irvine? Lmao. Just the drive from SDSU to anywhere west, north or south is a primer in Road Rage 101.
    Yeah, I kinda realize how ludicrous the idea sounds. I guess I was just wondering if there's anywhere in the north san diego - orange county stretch where if my wife was commuting to Irvine and I was commuting to one of the SD naval bases we could balance it out to each only drive an hour each way on a typical day. Sounds like no. Which means we'd both need to find new jobs to make it happen, not just me. Though she only goes in 2-3 days a week so she could potentially handle that for a few months during the transition period.

Idk if we're going to make it happen anytime soon or not. But it's a thought. Cost of living is not a huge deterrent... we're by no means super rich but each earn decent incomes and we live a pretty simple life. No TV, rarely eat out, would just as soon take a road trip to go camping as fly to an all inclusive resort. And I've always held the view that I'd rather take fewer/simpler vacations and pay more to live in place where other people take their vacations. I suspect the "born and raised" mentality is pretty similar to the "Native" mentality in Colorado. Or to a lesser extent VT. Or even here in the summer, for that matter. Whatever.

Funny sidenote, my parents are both from California, my mom from Santa Barbara and my dad from Santa Cruz. But they left in 1971, never to return except for brief visits. They've been in Jersey for 40 years now. And they still, especially my Mom, talk about southern California as absolutely paradise, and complain about how Jersey sucks in comparison. And by a lot of metrics, they're right. Waves, weather, mexican food (my favorite type of food), craft beer, weed laws, hiking/mountain biking, skiing within a day's drive... no one in their right mind could argue for NJ as beating CA for any of those things, without putting major caveats on it. Like jersey waves are better cause they're less crowded. Or jersey weather is better cause we don't have earthquakes or wildfires.
    I mean, yeah... but no.

But they aren't talking about any of that. The primary reasons they think jersey sucks compared to California are: traffic, taxes, cost of living, and generally too many people. LOLOLOL. Every time this comes up, I'm like... have you even been to Southern California in the last 30 years???

Quote Originally Posted by Not zaGaffer View Post

Aloha
    Appreciate the input. Was hoping to hear from zaGaffer, but I guess you'll do. Haha. Some of these things concern me, some don't really bother me. At least on paper. Many, like traffic and taxes, are the same things that suck here when compared to most parts of the country... I know CA has it even worse, but it's really all relative. Thing about high cost areas, there's usually a reason they're so expensive. I mean, I could live like a ****ing king in Mississippi, but I'd rather live paycheck to paycheck here (I don't... but if that was the best I could do here I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to endure it). A few years in semi-rural MD, which was even THAT bad compared to 80% of the country by land area, was enough to convince me no amount of affluence or career success is worth living somewhere that I'm miserable. So I'm often like, why not follow the logic to the opposite end of the spectrum?

When you reference pension obligation for Government employees, is that just state and local or all types of Government (I'm Federal)? Or is it just part of the state's tax structure for everyone employed there?

Images
    I just flew back from San Diego last night from a weeks vacation. I lived in SD in the early 90's while in the Navy. I have been a half dozen times since then but the last time was about 5 years ago. Traffic definitely sucks, just have to plan on it by really early surf sessions. Got pretty fun waves this trip...swell started filling in Friday morning, peaked Saturday & still OH sets through Monday.

Images

Those pictures are prime evidence why people tough out the expenses, crowds, and BS to live there. I love California, north and south, warts and all.