0.0 feet?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by beachbreak, Oct 15, 2010.

1. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    at zero seconds.
    for days.
    in mid-october.
    is this unprecedented or what?
    the ocean has stopped moving.

2. whitewater

whitewater Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    the quieter the calm, the bigger the storm

3. nj1993

nj1993 Active Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Blame it on the wind bro..I'm not a forecaster but if it switched we would have swell

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    the offshore flow over the last couple days here has been kind of impressive (& depressive, now that the ocean looks like a lake)!

5. njsurfer32

njsurfer32 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    shouldn't their be some kind off swell with all this wind? On www.surfersveiw.com the cam looks like its on a lake not the ocean.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    The current offshore flow is very strong, indicating a deep low pressure system. However, this particular storm came off the coast too far north for us to receiving any onshore flow. Only northern New England received swell on this one.

The fact that the storm is so strong in October is a good thing... We just need a better path. This is more of a winter time pattern at the moment... where we often see flatness for a while followed by a strong swell.

7. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
  8. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    please bring on the strong swell

9. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    This is actually very typical for this time of year. I've seen this action year in and year out, especially in October. One way to put it, the ocean is resting and getting ready for the winter. also what Swell said about the current atmospheric conditions. Its painful looking at it. At least Its giving me time to fix all my boards.

10. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Another thought while its flat. when its flat I go out and paddle a few miles. build up the paddling arms and back. It beats jonesing. When every one else returns to the water you'll be able to paddle around almost everyone. Be a total waterman. The first time I did this some years back when I lived just two blocks from the ocean in Virginia Beach during the school, winter season. Come Spring when all the warmer water surfers returned I was paddling all around them catching every wave I wanted. Some would even joke at me there are no waves out there but they found out when the waves did come why I did it. They couldnt keep up.