2012 Quiksilver Pro Cancelled

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 252surfer, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Yup the thread name says it all. no east coast run for the dream tour this season. I wish I coulda went up to Long Beach, NY this year to see it and i was banking on going next year but alas it's gone. Anyway, where do you all think Quiksilver should go for their new spot on tour?

I say G-LAND OR MENTAWAIS! It's supposed to be the Dream tour for a reason....

2. A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge)

A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge) Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    They should bring it to Lake Michigan!

3. endlessummer89

endlessummer89 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2007
    It's going to be in LA.....at the Kelly Slater Wave Company's pool that hasn't been released yet

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Were they even considering doing the east coast two years in a row? Lightning generally doesnt strike in the same place twice, and considering the epic waves they got this year, the inevitable grovelfest would have been pretty hard to swallow.

Good call!

5. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    My thoughts:
    LB made Quik buy all sorts of permits, perform impact studies and jump through a ton of other hoops to put on their festival alongside the competition (the NYC area has one of the largest bureaucracies in the world). Add to that a requirement that they use union labor (at extremely excessive prices for probably questionable workmanship) Not to mention how many local government officials who more than likely had to get their palms greased in one way or the other.

Then they use an excuse for a non-event to shut down everything but the comp. Of course there was legitimate cleanup to do after the storm but it seemed they had it locked down well enough.

Quik says to LB: "Hey, can we get our permitting money back for the stuff you said we can't do?"
    LB to Quik: "Nope, but we do have some additional charges assessed to you that you must pay immediately"

Then I'm sure there was an additional ensuing outrage by the competitors who placed in the money when they found out how much additional tax they were going to have to pay on their earnings.

I'm also sure Rip Curl got reamed by SF in the $$$ department.

These companies have now realized it is generally much easier and less expensive to put on a comp in remote locations rather than deal with the headache of dealing with a major metro area's bureaucracy.

Personally, I think they should do at least a one-time event on the OBX. Then the only people that would become a headache are the envirowhack bird fluffers. It would be much cheaper for them and they would still get a great turnout and solid surf.

Final note: Reading the forums on Surfline et. al, there are a bunch of morons claiming the waves sucked for the LB comp. How can they say that with a straight face when they have run Pipe Masters and many other events in equal or smaller size surf?

6. surferdude0900

surferdude0900 Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    i hope that they do feature a surf comp on the east coast again....if not NY, what about the cape or jersey? Stupid school didnt permit me to travel...:p

7. Stayabovetheweather

Stayabovetheweather Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Didn't they used to run something in NSB or the Inlet back when it was the Bud tour? OBX would be sick too. 12 foot Frisco pier death barrels with 15mph sweep, now that is a test of surfing... Also would be good for the local economy. SF and NYC don't really need more events to boost the economy. An OBX event in early October would be great for the local businesses and would be almost certain to see sizeable surf.

8. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    With their 2011 locations of NY and San Fran, it was obvious that it was about marketing and selling to the big city populations... I could maybe see New Jersey, maybe like Manasquan, but I don't see them taking a tour stop in OBX.

9. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Hell yea that would be sick!!! Hopefully Brett Barley would be a wildcard for that. he rips. And exactly these big cities don't need that hassle at all. Hatteras Island needs all the help and publicity they can get.

10. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    My recollection is the ASP had the Garden State Pro in Jersey (might have been called something different), Tropix Pro in OCMD, Hatteras, like you said NSB had an ASP event but this all stopped by the end of the 1980s. These events were always in June or July and pretty sad seing someone like Tom Carroll or Gary Elkerton grovelling in waist high short period wind slop.

11. surferdude0900

surferdude0900 Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    we should write to the asp board members and try and convince them to have another event on the east coast...because we do have a great surf community and great culture...and waves when mother nature likes us