pls help. why are mattresses so expensive?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Apr 25, 2018.

1. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    low technology
    basic manufacturing
    cheap raw materials

i need answers

2. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't got answers. But i can get you a discount if your in need of a mattress. I think. Don't quote me.

When i got my mattress i got a big discount because of my ladies job. Media trade or something like that. To be honest i don't really understand what she does, so don't ask. But she basically gets gift cards for random places through whatever it is her company does. So i got like a grand or something off in free gift cards.

cepriano and SCOB3YVILLE like this.

3. Iggy

Iggy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
  4. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Spent a little time on line searching about mattresses and man, it is one tangled web of BS.
    I came away with things like- they are named different models in different markets even though it's the same. Details are always vague. The mfr's (lol) don't want you comparing prices. And the performance reviews are something to laugh at. Valleys forming in the middle after a year, sometimes even 6 months.
    We ended up buying a 4" thick foam pad and it's been pretty good. About $150 IRC.

5. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Bought a king mattress online and delivered that came in a box vacuumed sealed...took to the room and opened it up and bam....mattress. So easy.

sigmund and soulrider like this.
  6. billdrit

billdrit Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2017
    was wondering that recently as well and came across this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik.../eli5_what_the_hell_makes_mattresses_so_damn/

7. KOOKamungya

KOOKamungya Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    there's a lot of mark-up

In my life I've spent maybe, $1500 on mattresses

While I've spent well over $10,000 on cable TV

your pier likes this.
  8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    It's all about the warranty. Negotiate a good one.

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have had cheap mattresses and I now have a more expensive one, nothing crazy but like $1,600 and it’s a huge upgrade in comfort from what I had before when I spent like $700-800. It’s worth it in my opinion. I don’t mind spending money as long as it improves the quality of my life, and I believe a quality mattress can do that. Get a hybrid that has springs and gel memory foam, best of both worlds.

LongIslandBro and SCOB3YVILLE like this.
  10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Have you used the warranty? Any examples or info?

One thing I learned, the prices are negotiable....

11. Sharkbait Ooo Haha!

Sharkbait Ooo Haha! Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Funny, I just threw down and got one of those Purple beds for a grand this evening. I'm pretty stoked. https://purple.com/

12. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Agree, the prices can be outrageous. Maybe it's partially because folks generally don't buy a new mattress very often. How long do you keep yours?
    Still, waking up each morning sore after a poor night's sleep takes its toll...especially as one gets older. Even a bad pillow can cause neck problems.

13. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Me
    me too! My bed is great. It was like $700 fo a memory foam one. Heavy as shiz while in the box.

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    A local Serta dealer gave us a 10 year repair or replace warranty for any reason.

15. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    have you tried adding to a sandwich? sh*t's expensive, that's why

Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      22.6 KB
      Views:
    soulrider likes this.
  16. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Bought a purple bed last summer, after a bunch of very frustrating internet research of all the different bed-in-a-box companies. Basically concluded that online mattress companies are the used car salesmen of the internet. Actually maybe closer to the times square roleks salesmen of the internet. Shady as fuck SEO/marketing practices. Fake positive reviews for their own products, fake negative reviews for their competitors... Allegedly, though some/most of the accusations of fake reviews are probably artificially planted by the other companies. Dozens of supposedly impartial review/comparison sites actually sponsored by the companies. It's like the fucking wild west out there. Funny, cause part of the theoretical appeal of buying a mattress online is to avoid the pushy salespeople in the stores. But, as far as I could tell they did legitimately honor the 100 day free trial, and I was intrigued, so I went for it.

Wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or not for a couple months, but by the end of 100 days was absolutely in love with it, and still am. Like, enough that it makes me want to spend fewer nights away from home if I'm going on a road trip or something because it's so much better than a hotel bed.

Whole reason I got a new mattress was as one of the million random solutions I tried to get rid of the lower back issues I've been dealing with for a couple years. Was hoping the pain was caused by my old bed and new mattress would fix it overnight. That didn't happen unfortunately, but I've noticed that on my old mattress, or basically any other mattress at a hotel or someone's house, I can only sleep for 6-7 hours or else I wake up with back pain. On my purple bed, I can lay in bed all day with no problems (this was recently confirmed due to a stomach bug that started while I was away and continued once I got home).

DosXX likes this.
  17. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Are you one of the purple bed positive review bots?

Just kidding, but based on this I may buy one haha

NJsurfer30 likes this.
  18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Btw, I bought mine from Mattress 1, they were easy to deal with.

19. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Hahaha right? Honestly, I almost wouldn't put it past some of these companies to create an account and accompanying fictional persona on a surf predicting forumme and maintain it over the course of a year and a half for the sole purpose of eventually posting a review of their mattresses.