A Legend Has Departed

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Pursuitofhappiness, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Pursuitofhappiness

Pursuitofhappiness Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Dorian "Doc" Paskowitz passed away this morning. This man was the original nomadic surfer. His words and wisdom, both from his book, Surfing and Health, and our conversations at PB, Campland and Tourmaline always go with me both in the water and out. Mahalo to the entire Paskowitz clan. Paddle out, and catch one for him. In his words, "There is a wisdom in the wave."

"It's easier to die when you have lived, than it is to die when you haven't. So I say to all the young people, go and make memories, beautiful memories. When the time comes for you to go, you will not go alone." Doc Paskowitz 1921-2014

2. Ryan McCall

Ryan McCall Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2014
    woahhhh was he resurrected since last week when he died the first time? Dude truly is godlike.

3. NJ glide

NJ glide Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    RIP Doc. Your legend will not be forgotten. Thanks for letting the world in on your adventures, Surf on.....

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    In June 2010 Variety reported that Sean Penn would produce and star in a movie about Paskowitz.

5. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    At least his kids don't have to worry about being beaten anymore

6. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    rip doc.
    wore the 'unique' hat well.

7. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    He never ceases to amaze us mere mortals.

8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    yea I thought he died like 2 weeks ago.

from the slater page

I was lucky enough to spend time with him a few days ago and get a couple of big hugs and this final photo. He was passionate about diet and exercise but his biggest wish was to see peace in Gaza between Israel and Palestine and always believed that those who could surf together, could live together peacefully.

He told me that if they would 'pave the streets of Palestine in gold' there would be peace between the people. He personally walked donated surfboards over the Israeli border to give to his Palestinian surfing brethren as a sign of respect and acknowledgment. Maybe one day his true dream will be realized.

I'll miss this crazy, old man who helped raise my little brother and teach me about the ways of the world. Condolences and love to his wife and 9 children.
    that's the kind of isreali/jew that makes this world a better place

9. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    ever since sean went full retard in I am sam,I don't think any movies worth watching are coming his way

10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Slater should stick to surfing & moufing dumbass opinions about sunscreen.

11. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    reports of his previous expiration were greatly exaggerated.

(apologies to mr. twain for the paraphrase)

12. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    he IS over-fluffed; isn't he?

because he parses his words so well.....i think he's thinking politics.