A wooden fish

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Cuck Taylor, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I'm really pumped to see how this thing will go, the guy who it's for is a very good surfer so as a shaper I am all into doing it best I can for a true short boarder style rider. As of now this fish will be going to Costa Rica for Two weeks. It might be the first time a parallel profile fish has hit those waters. There is really in my opinion little visible evidence of how a Parallel profile short board fish of this type will really ride. A few fellows on swaylocks from AU built a very similar board but the ride report and overall talk of it was pretty quiet except they said it rode well.

I don't see why the board won't be exceptional as far as short board expectations go.

2. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Its not gonna really snap out a turn as well as a standard thruster shortboard. But all other aspects will be very similar. If hes a shredder there shouldnt be much he cant do on it vs on his hp shortboard.

And ride reports are all based on the individual. Have u ever really tried to describe your best sessions on a "magic board"? You cant cause everything happens so fluidly its to hard to describe. At least for me. I may be able to say yeah it went fast and cranked some solid turns, got a lil head dipper, or something to that effect. But a real description, naw thats to much thinkin.

3. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg image.jpg

Now it's kinda like a foam blank

4. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    how thick is the wood you constructed the "blank" with? after the planing the rocker and rails will the board be structurally sound? (too thin? gaps in between deck and rail? etc.) its interesting to me. Im assuming you thought way ahead being a woodworker, just wondering

5. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    The total thickness is 2 3/8

I've left wood inside the board on the rails to be shaped off in order to be able to sculpt the
    Rail shape in. Rocker and concave are already pre moulded into the blank.

6. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Why do you say that? That shape has been around for decades. Am I missing something?

When Grain surfboards did an east coast trip a few years ago, I rode one of the hollow wooden boards that was about that exact shape in a 5'10". The morning they were in Maryland, there were some really fun waist high clean a-frames coming in. First and only time on a wooden board. fun sesh!

7. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    I said that because the construction method in my board Is very different from a grain fish frame construction method. That's all. It's interesting to compare them for that exact reason too.

8. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh right...I got it. I don't know anything about wooden boards.
    I love the shape, tho.

9. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Looks good, Charles! Enjoying this thread and look forward to seeing the finished product.

10. White Sea Ape

White Sea Ape Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Woo00ooo ! I've been following this thread, the fish looks so sick. How much? I might ask you to build me one after I see the finished product! Maybe I'll get one for Xmas for my son How long to build ?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  11. leetymike808

Nov 16, 2013
  12. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg image.jpg

Still shaping but it's looking like a pretty nice board so far. It's super light weight too , 8 lbs with still lots of wood to come off on the rails

13. leetymike808

Nov 16, 2013
    looks really cool. Im stoked out on it and i dont even get to ride it.

Did you draw out that blueprint? Cause holy hell that looks complicated.

14. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg image.jpg

Ready to seal it up. Maybe ready for next weeks swell image.jpg

15. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Yeah so the entire build is basically constructed around the plan shape so you can create a blank that has enough wood in certain areas so you can shape it down to the finished board. The blue print looks like allot but all ya need to start it is a plan shape

16. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Looks awesome, didnt take ya too long either, good work.

17. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi Charles, regarding your question on Swaypox have a look at 'Seeka's' pintail which he made from one of our kits, he's using a varying rail shape rather than constant as I do, with great success

http://www.roystuart.biz/2011/02/seekas-new-10-pintail.html

[​IMG]

Thickness distribution wise there's really no issue at all, if I were you I'd just go for it. The Swaylocks people will just run the idea down as it is a matter of religious faith to them that thickness profile must be tapered. The proof in the pudding as far as I'm concerned is that the PP works better.

18. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Roy thanks for the great reply. Swaypox is cool but yes I think many of the folks there might not be of help. Pretty much I only want to use wood and I'm not willing to use the Tom Blake (now commonly identified as the grain method) so that leaves me the chambered, paul jenson rail laminating or the Roy stuart method. I think I choose the Roy style, it's allot of fun. I started up the swaylocks thread because I wanted some Criticism leading into my next self thought board. A boat builder who I work with from time to time who's not technically a naval architect but builds allot of things that float thinks the parallel profile is brilliant, I'm just basically trying to pry at people who know about surfboard design before I start using wood for my retro parallel profile channel rail.. Like I said on swaylocks, it's a path of unknowns that I might wander down.

It's like a disease once I became obsessed with building my own surfing experience, I need more !! Oh and the fish is coming along well. A bunch of the short board fanatics where I live have reservations to use the 5'6" I'm crafting, so far it's a hit and maybe I'll have work to finance my own projects for once haha.

19. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg

This fish has a tapered rail towards the tail. Goes from 50/50 into 70/30 down rail. With a quad set up it will surely turn off the fins rather the rail so I figured soft and smooth would do

20. srfmdi418

srfmdi418 Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Looks great! I split my time between York and Bangor and build wood boards myself. I've only built 3 so still very new to it, but a very addicting hobby. I use the bead and cove method though.