Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by LeftForMe, Apr 27, 2014.

1. LeftForMe

LeftForMe New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Hey. Just started back up on surfing again after a few years and stumbled across this site. How accurate are the forecasts? I live about 1 hour from the beach and need to kind of plan ahead (yeah, i know how dumb that sounds). I am also aware that the heights and conditions are also going to vary greatly by beach and break. Just wondering how accurate?

Thanks!

2. paperplate

paperplate Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    If you know where what swell and wind direction work the bouys wont fail you.

3. LeftForMe

LeftForMe New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Are they good at predicting? For eaxample, they are predicting Friday to be good... usually accurate?

4. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    No one surfs here, we just come for the witty banter.

5. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Predicting surf is like predicting weather. They go together like pb&j. The further out the forecast, the less the confidence.

6. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Not true. Buoy's in RI sit nearly 100 miles offshore. It can be 5 feet at 8 seconds out there and flat at the beach as the swell degrades(Yes I know the difference between significant wave height and swell height and direction) If you've been doing this for anytime at all you know how unreliable buoys are here in RI. I've seen 10 feet at 10 seconds give nearly double overhead and other times it's chest high. I've seen 4 foot at 8 seconds be knee high or flat and another time it's chest high. Same break/same swell direction.

Buoys will fail you.
    Now if there was a buoy 1 mile off Narragansett coast that would be a very different story.

7. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    buoys wont fail you if you know how to you use them, but if you are a clueless goon, then they will fail you

8. leetymike808

leetymike808 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    This is true. Theres a reason the buoy reports are there. Most that hunt for sharks should pay attention and know how to read them.

Of course it does take more knowledge than just what the buoys are reading. You have to consider the swell direction, the bottom contours of the beach you are hoping to surf, and so forth.

9. paperplate

Nov 22, 2013
    Bouys won't lie. It is alot more than just the sig wave height and and swell height... oh and Mr left I think Friday will be bad you should not even consider it :)

10. leetymike808

Nov 16, 2013
    I guess i should have said it takes the knowledge to put together the readings from the buoy....

11. paperplate

Nov 22, 2013
    And tide along with many other variables

12. peteliq

peteliq Member

Sep 30, 2013
    buoy in NH said 5 at 11 Friday, surf was flat. can anyone explain that?

13. leetymike808

Nov 16, 2013
    theres more than one buoy for most coastlines, you gotta find the right ones.

14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I look at multiple surf forecast and reporting sites. Sometimes they can vary quite a bit from each other and seem to be reporting different areas altogether. You'll find that a site may be better (more accurate) for certain areas and spots but not others - depending on the data source. Some are based on buoy readings, although the buoy may be located 60 or more miles offshore and in or near the Gulf Stream. Some areas have multiple buoys and one may prove more accurate for a specific location than another.
    I also listen to NOAA marine weather radio reports/forecasts. A web cam of a specific spot can be helpful, although local conditions can vary and change rather quickly regardless of what the the web cam is currently showing and various report/forecast sites are saying - particularly if a weather front is arriving. Also, your accumulated knowledge of a particular spot/break is very important.
    But I must qualify all this by saying I've only been surfing for 18 months, so I'm no expert.

15. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    What's the RIGHT ONE for RI? Kind of funny how you have no clue what you're talking about as usual.
    Basic understanding of the ocean would clue you into the fact that what's going on WAY off the RI coast is not necessarily what is hitting the ri coast. Swells degrade. Some more than others even with same period and direction. But of course you guys also think you can generate a size able swell in 10 miles so I'm not even sure why I'm back here arguing again. I need to stop looking at this forum when I come to look at the forecast.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  16. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    i'll try. there are 360 deg on a compass and theoretically waves can move all 360 directions. that said a significant portion of a buoys' reading will be of waves MOVING AWAY from you. were you reading a report with
    swell headed to portugal??

17. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    The irony here is unfathomable.

Beat it, Shunt.

18. Hayduke Lives

Hayduke Lives Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2014
    it could be beneficial for forum go-ers to listen to, learn and apply what baddy said here... rather than getting school girl like and starting an argument over Rhode Islands bouy...

19. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    too bad that's his M.O...don't read, listen, or learn. just make everything about himself & then throw a tantrum & turn it into a **** show.
    it's like trying to have a rational discussion w/ my 2.5 year old god son at nap time.

20. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    What's the right buoy for RI that sits a few miles off ri's coast? Please enlighten me NEWJERSEYsurfer42! I'm ready and willing to learn. The only other one in open ocean sits near marthas vineyard. That and block island buoy for rhody. You'll also see a big difference a lot of the time between martha's vineyard buoy and BI. You can see the swell degrading just from that point to station 44097. Why don't you stick to NJ and keep your yap shut because you got no clue dog.

A buoy that sits nearly 100 miles offshore(approximate...point is WAY offshore) is not the same thing as something that sits a mile offshore. 3 feet at 8 seconds due south wind swell(waist high) at block island buoy station 44097 could easily degrade to flatness by the time it hits the beach about 100 miles away. Or it could hold it together and be thigh to waist high. Really flipping a coin. I know this from years of personal experience. The block island buoy is sitting WAY off the coast PAST block island in the middle of the ocean. Waves lose size as they travel. I understand swell direction/ significant wave height vs swell height vs wind wave and how to read a buoy. You can NOT rely on a buoy in RI for great accuracy since the buoy is so far offshore. They will fail you.

Learn a little son, you know so little, yet are so arrogant and nasty. It's a little sad.

LIKE ARGUING WITH MONKEYS!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014