agro squan lifeguard

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by boogitym, Jun 3, 2014.

1. boogitym

boogitym Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I haven't posted in a while, but today i feel a need. Sunday waves were super fun and I'd thought I would go back to same sandbar monday. No kids. No lifeguards. Barrels from 6 to 9am booya. Then it happened. I saw him coming.<br /><br />I had thrown my wetsuit over the empty lifeguard stand to dry and sat there to take some pictures. Red shorts. Blue MBP shirt, but oddly has some $10k canon lens on a pretty nice looking camera. verbatim:<br /><br />\" What are doing?! Get down right now! Come on the beach is closed! Is this your stuff because I'm taking the stand down right now. People think you are a lifeguard and are calling us in( I guess he meant beach patrol ).\"<br /><br />Mind you we are only people on beach. <br /><br />i said \" calm down man I'd be glad to get down, but i'm 35 and don't like being talked down to. I'm not sure who you are, but I see you are upset so I get my stuff and move. No problem.\"<br /><br />He responded intensely\" I'm not upset, you need to move you are not suppose to be out here\"<br /><br />I said \" really man i said I'm moving and I'm getting my stuff... Squan has a history of intense locals/lifeguards/beach badge collectors and If you changed your approach to<br /><br /> \"hey buddy my name is blah blah miller the lifeguard and i sure would appreciate you coming down, sorry to inconvenience you have a good day the waves look good\" then all is cool and we don't have this weird mid morning confrontation\"<br /><br />He then say \"Hey buddy your just pissed you probably paid $3 parkway fees just to get down here....where you from buddy?\"<br /><br />I said \"it don't fukkin matter i live 10 minutes from here and I'm a fukkin steward of the beach, I pick up trash, help all the lil kids surf, I'm here all year. I don't need to hear **** from some off duty lifeguard. Sign says lifeguard off duty. I'll prob be the one to save someone today. I recommend you change your approach and maybe in the future you will get a different response.\"<br /><br /><br />Then the ****er tells me if I saw someone drowning I should call 911 not try to help them. Right. He then sits down 10 yards from me and starts taking a bunch of surf shots. I love Manasquan and grew up getting messed with there all my life.....police, lifeguards, badge collectors, the old beard guy on beach patrol bike, the cop in the jeep. I'm 35 and i does not stop. I paid my season badge fee. I don't skate on the boardwalk from 10 to 6. I don't bother anyone. I usually role solo. I don't need this ish. NO ONE DOES.. <br /><br />Don't take it...lifeguard Miller you are an entitled person and I feel bad for Manasquan to have you representing them and their town. Your approach was aggressive and threatening. I was actually surprised when you started cursing. I should have just written a letter to the Mayor of lifeguard captain....but i bet it's an old boys club. <br /><br /><br />What you guys make off this...

2. boogitym

boogitym Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I haven't posted in a while, but today i feel a need. Sunday waves were super fun and I'd thought I would go back to same sandbar monday. No kids. No lifeguards. Barrels from 6 to 9am booya. Then it happened. I saw him coming.

I had thrown my wetsuit over the empty lifeguard stand to dry and sat there to take some pictures. Red shorts. Blue MBP shirt, but oddly has some $10k canon lens on a pretty nice looking camera. verbatim:

" What are doing?! Get down right now! Come on the beach is closed! Is this your stuff because I'm taking the stand down right now. People think you are a lifeguard and are calling us in( I guess he meant beach patrol )."

Mind you we are only people on beach.

i said " calm down man I'd be glad to get down, but i'm 35 and don't like being talked down to. I'm not sure who you are, but I see you are upset so I get my stuff and move. No problem."

He responded intensely" I'm not upset, you need to move you are not suppose to be out here"

I said " really man i said I'm moving and I'm getting my stuff... Squan has a history of intense locals/lifeguards/beach badge collectors and If you changed your approach to

"hey buddy my name is blah blah miller the lifeguard and i sure would appreciate you coming down, sorry to inconvenience you have a good day the waves look good" then all is cool and we don't have this weird mid morning confrontation"

He then say "Hey buddy your just pissed you probably paid $3 parkway fees just to get down here....where you from buddy?"

I said "it don't fukkin matter i live 10 minutes from here and I'm a fukkin steward of the beach, I pick up trash, help all the lil kids surf, I'm here all year. I don't need to hear **** from some off duty lifeguard. Sign says lifeguard off duty. I'll prob be the one to save someone today. I recommend you change your approach and maybe in the future you will get a different response."

Then the ****er tells me if I saw someone drowning I should call 911 not try to help them. Right. He then sits down 10 yards from me and starts taking a bunch of surf shots. I love Manasquan and grew up getting messed with there all my life.....police, lifeguards, badge collectors, the old beard guy on beach patrol bike, the cop in the jeep. I'm 35 and i does not stop. I paid my season badge fee. I don't skate on the boardwalk from 10 to 6. I don't bother anyone. I usually role solo. I don't need this ish. NO ONE DOES..

Don't take it...lifeguard Miller you are an entitled person and I feel bad for Manasquan to have you representing them and their town. Your approach was aggressive and threatening. I was actually surprised when you started cursing. I should have just written a letter to the Mayor of lifeguard captain....but i bet it's an old boys club.

What you guys make off this...

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    were you in the stand?

also, paragraphs are your friend

4. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    looks like you fixed the paragraph part

5. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Sounds like he was right until he went down jerk alley.

Lifeguards especially in a crowded place like Manasquan do their best to be courteous and kind always (most) but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Anywho, sounds like a misunderstanding to me, just two people on different pages...sorry that happened to you.

6. patgeds22

patgeds22 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    as an outsider who experienced jersey for the last 5 years i think its just a one of the ****ty aspects of jersey. everywhere has there downsides and jersey's beaches/beach culture esp in the summer is one for them. at least your economy is better than rhode islands but yea to the original point, the people just dont mesh together well

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Keep your pimp hand strong. Slap his ass next time. Used to bang my girlfriend in the OC towers back in the day. Hopefully those ass clowns wipe down the towers before they sit in em. Otherwise they might be poopin out babies a few months later.

8. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    more than half of the lifeguards are from ____(bumfvck county) PA and think they have a place at the table. they need to go sit at the ironing board like all the rest of the kiddies. good damn kooks

9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    feel lucky. one town north and you would have been threatened with eternal damnation.

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Welcome summer and the influx of summer pros... My favorite time of year

Really it's hard when we spend so much time at the beach all year/ winter then out of no where a million ppl show up and act like they own the place. I always try to keep in mind that most of them are on vacation and will be gone in a week. And to try to just let it go... Let them have a good time on vacation cause I know if it was me- I would want to relax on vacation

I'm not saying I agree with this guy... I kinda understand his point- but really?? What's up with the attitude?

One thing that would burn me up years ago: riding my bike thru Belmar on ocean ave Sunday night after everyone is gone... You would not believe the amount of TRASH that ppl leave behind- riding over the head on parking spaces-there would be bag after bag of trash- like everyone decided to clean out their car before they left the beach. And leave it on the street where is will get washed into the ocean... All the while there are nice big garbage cans yards away from any parking spot in Belmar... Some ppl just have no class or respect...

Ok rant over... Sorry guys

#keepbelmarclean

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  11. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    sometimes when a lifeguard actually really matures they turn into a surfer.

12. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    A statement I can agree with...more than once had run-ins with the type of mentality mentioned above. Bummer that such is the stereo-type of this type of public servant...

13. patgeds22

patgeds22 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    +1 coming from a cape cod lifeguard, where everyone gets along bc theres enough space

14. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    That sucks man… Douchey lifeguards are the worst. The one part you shared about possibly saving someone and the guy saying call 911 and don’t try to help; that is one of the most wack things I’ve ever heard. All of us that spend time in the water year round probably know the conditions inside and out, much more than a lot of the lifeguards can say. If I see someone struggling in the water and gasping for air you better believe I’m going in and trying to help them instead of calling 911 while watching them drown. Yell to a bystander to call 911 on your way into the water. I’ve had to help tourists get into the beach who got stuck in rip’s and got sucked too far for them to be able to handle with their swimming abilities. Happened one time in sea isle at a crowded beach and the lifeguards never even noticed…

As far as last weekend goes though, I lucked out with the lifeguards. I got to the beach a little later than I had hoped to and the guards were just coming on duty but there wasn’t a soul in the water so I chatted with them for a few and asked if it was cool if I surfed that spot and they said go for it. Some guards are pretty chill, sucks the A-hole ones give em all a bad rep.

15. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    man, those rules they imply on you guys down in jersey and NY are crazy. Pay to go to the beach??? whats up with that? Here in Ma/NH our guards are way cool. My best buds and surf friends are guards at Salisbury beach. They leave the stands up all the time and people are welcome to sit on them or do whatever when the guards are off duty. Our guards are genuinely nice people, and typically it is the beachgoers doing the a-holing. Like last year, some drunk lady popped one of our male guards in the face for trying to get them to stop swearing in front of children... Classic..
    Be nice and get treated nice. It works wonders

16. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    I was a lifeguard in Monmouth county for 10 years. Its pretty amazing the authority trips some of these guys are on when about half (and im not exaggerating) of them can barely pass a swim test. If you swapped out some of those wannabees with experienced local surfers, the beach would be safer (and waaaaayyyy cooler). The beach managers have their heads up their own asses. They should make it a rule that if you are in charge of an entire beach, you'd better respect the surfers (who are the true experts of the ocean) and youd better be able to swim (really well).

17. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I hate this too! Stupid jerks down here leave empty 12 pack boxes and cans, my kids were building a sand castle using bottle caps and other junk. I told them to stop and I haven't been back to that beach since. I don't understand why you would leave trash on the beach 30' from an empty trash can.

18. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    maybe one of the reasons lg's have attitude is they understand this. kinda like an infantry grunt looking
    at the officers club knowing he won't be let in.

19. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I lived up north and surfed moco and squan growing up, big difference in lifeguard attitude once you pass LBI. Many of the guards are surfers down here and understand.

20. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i love when people start threads and never come back to them