Al Merrick K-Step Rounded Pin 6'9" $275 NE Florida

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by etimm, Nov 3, 2015.

1. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Sold

Sold.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Sold

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

3. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    this board gets used in Florida once every 5 years

4. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    I can't really argue with you there. In the 4 years I've lived in Florida I've probably surfed it 3 times. There are a few spots I can think of where you could get more use out of it...but it's not really my scene.

It'd be an ideal board to throw into your bag for a trip to Costa or PR.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I had one years ago and I did take it to PR.
    Wasn't needed there either. I sold mine as well.
    That is an Indo board, perhaps Pipeline. Steep waves, late take off, shallow reefs.

6. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

Sep 17, 2013
    guess you never surfed chatarra barry?

This board seems perfect for DOH tubular days, rare in FL, more common in Caribbean, maybe OBX

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I actually did surf Chatarra. But it had yet to be "discovered" when I was there.
    But, it also has the name Aviones (east of Punta Maldonado, in the Pinones area). There is more than one peak there.
    But a board like the Kstep up really is not required for there. We used longboards there when I was a kid . PR is mellow compared to other destinations.
    I have not surfed there since I was 18 years old. Extremely over-rated break; I would not take the time to return there. It can get really nice, but it is rare.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  8. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    geeeezus barry you are so down on pr. did they make fun of you there on the schoolyard

o barry

9. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

Sep 17, 2013
    so you havent surfed there since you were a minor? I bet you mis-remembered some things old timer. :rolleyes:

and yes, folks can surf a longboard on any wave, but if I want to take off late and hold a steep drop and get tubed, that board seems like the bees knees

etimm, you owe me 1$ for every post where I extol the virtues of this fine shape

10. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Here's the convo with the surf shop salesmen who sold that board. Salesmen in bold

"hi im learning to surf."

"cool, here's a 8' round-nose funboard"

"I want a pointyer board"

"ok, here's a 7'6 pointy nose fun shape"

"look guy, i want all the girls to see how cool i am while i carry my board from my car to the water"

"got ya, here's Kelly Slater''s pipeline board, its very cool and super pointy."

"SOLD!"

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Of course, we all mis remember stuff.
    But as for me....that is ok. You see, truth be told, I will be surfing another 2-3 years; I am already getting really bored with it. After surfing for 54 years, that is normal. But I have lots of other hobbies and activities that I enjoy doing.
    I am taking one more surf trip, not PR, but CR. With my bride. If there is surf, nice; if not , who cares?? After that, there are other places I want to go to before my number is up.

12. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    All good points. $1 for each positive comment...if it sells above asking price.

I learned on a funshape when I was 24 and went through a few different boards before adding this Merrick to the mix. When I bought this board my other shortboard was a 5'11" quadfin fish. At the time, the fish felt way too fast and unstable when the waves were bigger than OH. It also didn't have enough nose rocker for certain breaks (or so I thought). I picked this board up with the intention of using it a few times a year when the waves would be too big or steep for my fish. There was a time when this was definitely the better board for me on certain days.

My (newish) home break is super mushy. Even during the peak of Joaquine it was better suited to a fish or longboard. It's been a long time since I felt like the waves were too big and wished i had something other than my fish.

13. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I've owned a couple of Tuflites. The first one was a 6'8" CI Flyer in light blue that I bought on impulse soon after Clark died. Couldn't even duck dive it due to the incredible buoyancy...I would've needed to weigh about 250 lbs for that thing to float me correctly. Sold it on consignment for a decent price (at the height of Surftech's popularity).

The second one was a red 6'0" Rusty Piranha which I admit I loved. The shape was absolutely perfect for waist-chest high mush and those Rusty down-rails were the most incredible rails I've ever ridden. One thing I didn't like was it had Future boxes which made the fins sink too deep into the board, leaving huge gaps. FCS boxes are better on Tuflites because fins sit on top of the glass.

Despite Tuflite's many flaws (stiff, chattery, doesn't hold wax, etc), I proudly rode the hell out of that Piranha for several years. One of the pros was the closed cell EPS didn't suck in water, so I wouldn't fix the few dings I did get until it was convenient. One of the best things I did was sand the gloss off the entire board so wax would stick better and hopefully speed it up a bit. The stiffness was what ultimately motivated me to sell it.

14. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I also had a k-step tuflite, I think it was 6'3.

I loved the way the shape looked- but it was really a one wave type of board- steep, hollow and powerful. I didn't really like how it caught waves either tho.

I actually like tuflite- but this one I sold as well- since I hardly ever surfer it.... And when I took it out in the wrong condition it was a dog...

If someone's looking for a big wave board- this is it! Specially the 6'9

15. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Bump. Also willing to consider trades.

16. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Why were the lineups CLOGGED with 6'8" light blue Tuflite (everyboard called them Surftechs the by the way) CI Flyers for about two years ca. 2004-2005? Serious question, and I don't mean by beginners, I mean by guys who had been surfing for 10-20+ years. Suddenly three years later these seemingly indestructible boards all vanished.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  17. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

Haha - I still got one! Light blue and I love it!

I really only ride it in the winter, like I mentioned- it's kinda like a lazy board, it's easy to surf with the extra wetsuit and my wave count triples, almost like riding a longboard.

But to answer your question- I have no clue why they where such a hit in the 2000s. Maybe it was due to the Clark foam prices. Maybe cause it was new technology. Maybe cause everyone was lazy back then. Maybe it was one of the first surftech models available? Idk - I only remember the m13 or ratboy or something being popular too.

Ahh... The mid 2000s ... Those where the days lol doesn't seem so long ago- but it's been 10 years!

18. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    I think it's more of a shift in the industry. I like the fact that this board is Tuflite and if I'm travelling I don't have to worry about having an extra board if I break or ding one.

Back around 2005 one of my local shop owners would pound Tuflite boards with his fist to show how indestructible they were. They were more expensive & people definitely bought into the trend and ponied up the extra cash for their new Tuflite board.

I'm not in the business, but I feel like surf shops or the manufacturers aren't really pushing them as much anymore. Judging by the advertisements on my local shops website, they're constantly pushing the newest CI board of the month...all of them glass. Considering how many new short-boards are in the $600+ price range and can get worn out/used up pretty quickly by someone who surfs a lot...it doesn't surprise me. Why push tuflite when you can sell someone a new glass board every summer. There's definitely a subset of surfers that follow the latest/greatest models and don't need/expect their boards to last for long.

There's also the fact that lots of people would rather buy a glass board from a local shaper than a knock-out board from China (myself included). I haven't bought a surfboard for myself in close to 10 years.

19. etimm

etimm Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Price drop to $250