Anybody in Virginia Beach surf on Tues morning this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by clintopher, May 10, 2019.

1. clintopher

clintopher Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    i noticed the water had a slightly funky smell and a thin foam on top when I went out Tuesday morning. I feel like dog doodads today. Wondering if the two were related. Anyone else sick?

2. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Sounds like another Classic morning in VB.

Pump that sewage & runoff a few hundred yards offshore, hope for the ocean to take it but the city doesn’t give a damn how many surfers get ill.

Hope it’s not staph, MRSA or worse.

3. SCOB3YVILLE

SCOB3YVILLE Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    We get raw Mexican sewage out here.like millions of gallons of untreated dumps daily.
    You guys Should be good if you don’t have any open wounds. Or weak immunities.

La_Piedra likes this.
  4. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yeah that treatment plant from the TJ River that Mexico was supposed to pay half for (lol) has done wonders, hasn't it.

So many winter days of driving to Boca Rio and smelling like an unflushed toilet at the Palm Ave exit

5. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    No, I haven't been out lately.
    Perhaps the aftermath of the "Something in the Water" concert weekend at the Oceanfront.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Got sick there before, surfing while the discharge pipe (north of the jetties, between the inlet and the pier) was flowing, I wasn't the only surfer, and at the time I didn't know any better. Ended up with the worst case of strep, the infection reached my nasal area, was nasty as hell

7. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  8. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    I stopped surfing VB a few yrs ago for exactly this reason. Just what the OP & McLovin noted.

Got sick, felt like 20 miles of bad road, after surfing VB. This was when they were dredging & piping the sand back onto the beach. I figure that process stirred up all manner of nastiness into the water.

Noticed the dredger boat on the VB cams the past few days.

I’ve been sick before though at VB from just surfing those waters even when no dredging is going on. Place is foul.
    The city govt s/b held accountable.

9. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Need to build up your immunity system is all! ;)
    But during the last beach replenishment project they had in the Sandbridge/Damn Neck area one summer several years ago, I too came down with a bug.
    Hampton Roads is sort of like the a-hole of the Chesapeake Bay, James River, and Elizabeth Rivers watershed systems.

DawnPatrol321 and Yankkee like this.
  10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have mentioned this before- and it does work 9 times out of 10- use of the netti pot.

I used to get sick all the time in Jersey... until I started using it. When ever I surf after heavy rain (or any rain) or if the water doesn’t seem clean, I will use the netti. The squeeze bottle one works best. Usually after 2 or 3 days after heavy rain the water will clear up... it stays dirty for a while...

I have surfed close by this visually dirty outflow pipe for the last 5 yrs and haven’t gotten sick once since using this method.

Yankkee likes this.
  11. clintopher

clintopher Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    That's a great idea. I already have one. How soon after you surf do you use the netti?

12. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Yes they're related. I realized a number of years back that if I surfed in that funky smelling scum, that I was guaranteed to have some sort of sinus issue the next day. I just turn around, paddle back in minimizing my contact with it as much as possible and find another spot and surf there. Haven't had problems since.

Yankkee likes this.
  13. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    never good to surf during the first 24 hours of a rain event, but we do it anyway. There probably are a lot of volatile organic carbons stirred up during the dredge as well. I didn't make it out last Tuesday or Wednesday (the good day of coarse) but I surfed it Thursday morning, pretty clean but did feel greasy when I rinsed off.

14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    You're also steeping in fish funk.

La_Piedra likes this.
  15. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010

The sooner the better. Usually within 15 min to an hour after getting out of the water. I use it fairly often since most swells are right after a rain event. It really does help
    I also use it if I have a bad wipe out and get put thru the spin cycle underwater since that pretty much guarantees a sea water nose flush, for me anyways. Like the kind where an hour after you surf and you bend over- all this salt water comes running out of your nose like a fauset. If that’s happening- you know you got a good possibility for an infection

sisurfdogg and Yankkee like this.
  16. Yankkee

Nov 8, 2017
    Paging Dr Belmar :cool:

Betty and nopantsLance like this.
  17. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    One must take the proper precautions is all...
    [​IMG]

18. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Thankful for the PHD that i received from my studies at the university of swellinfo

Betty and Yankkee like this.
  19. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Propere PPE

Betty and nopantsLance like this.
  20. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    And another distinguished, medically-trained USI alumni:
    [​IMG]