anyone ever had a big toe fusion surgery? how did it affect surfing

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by littlerhody, Jul 11, 2017.

1. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    just curious if anyone has had this surgery. I just had it done since the joint on my big toe was ruined from years of sports, surfing , and abuse. I know some tennis players and runners have had this done. Anyone out there in cyber world had this procedure done and how did it if anything affect your surfing? Thanks! I cant find any good info online about it.

2. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Hope you heal well. I'll ask a few of my lacrosse friends (my neighbor coaches a high school team) if they know anything. I'm guessing you need to go real easy until you get some expert advice on here.

3. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    yeah man this recovery has sucked pretty bad. usually surf, kiteboard, spearfish, you name it. instead just drinking beer and doing the occasional upper body workout. just curious if anyone has been through it who is active like me thats why i posted. here. thanks for the good recovery wishes. should be another month until i can do anything fun (been two months already)

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I remember jamming my big toe real bad kicking a heavy bag, and I kept jamming it afterwords, it took 6 months to get to where I could walk normal. It hurt like hell. Believe me, I will try to find out for you.

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Too much lax on artificial playing surfaces. Too much pounding from sports. Result: bone chips & spurs, friggin painful.

Had it done, de facto not actual fusion. The cutter took out bone spurs & other mess in & around the joint in my big toe. Toe just lost flexion over a short time, which is why I call it de facto.

You get used to the lack of flexion in the toe, is about all I'd say I s'pose. For me the relief from the grinding pain was / is worth it. Been about 16 yrs & it's nvr an issue. Use your other foot to kick wayne & his ilk in the arse....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I have no idea what kind of surgery ur speaking,but I seriously injured my big toe about 7-8 yrs ago.
    my big toe got squished at work,it just got compressed where it popped the nail off and burst open so I had to get stitches where my toe nail was and a new one grew back

I cant say it ever affected my surfing,but if anything,and I mean anything touches the top of the nail il get a sharp blast of excrutiating pain even after all these years its still sensitive.

7. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Freaking guy. Ouch. I got the worst image in my head from that. This is why i wear steel toe boots at work. Although iv heard horror stories about toes getting cut off due to steel toes. Don't know if those were true or just urban legend. But either way. Ouch

8. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    dude lol it was literally the one day I did not wear steel toe boots.learned my lesson

9. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    Good to hear the loss of range of motion didn't affect you much. My range of motion will be fine but then again Bethany Hamilton rips with one arm so I'm hoping I can use the other toes or heel and compensate. Not sure on how much I would bend my big toe anyways?? Thanks for the help boys! At least I decided to do this operation while the waves aren't great

10. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    I meant to say my range of motion will be gone not fine. I phone auto correct!

11. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    Update fusion of the big toe does not affect surfing one bit. If anyone has issues with a big toe and needs a fusion it is a good decision in my opinion. No pain anymore and I do everything like before. No running but running sucks anyhow. Lower impact stuff swim and yoga

antoine likes this.