Atlantic storms discussion

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by PapaD, Aug 10, 2016.

1. PapaD

PapaD Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I'm just wondering if anyone here knows why there haven't really been any storms developing so far this summer. There were a few that developed deep in the Caribbean only to go west over Central America, but usually we see at least some more activity by now right? Whether or not they develop into full storms, it just seems like the area off of west Africa has been silent. Maybe I just need waves...very likely I just need waves, just looking for some knowledge on the subject

2. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    There's unusually cold water and cold air off Africa right now. There's nothing developing there at all really.
    But the western Atlantic and Gulf are boiling.
    Look to the SE coast development or storms in the Gulf that cut across FLA, the kind that flair up off Georgia/SC and ride the coast for any hope of hurricane swells this fall, which, when they are that close to shore, are really just strong windswells.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

As I mentioned in previous threads--the hurricane season has been cancelled due to a lack of interest.
    No storms for you!!
    Now go away!!!

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Somebody forgot to put a token in the machine, sorry

5. Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    The root cause? Who knows, but predictive correlation shows that when the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) is in phase 6 or 7, Atlantic basin hurricane formation is vastly reduced. Should the MJO move to phase 1 or 2, then things will cook.

The MJO phase, while not a root cause, is indicative of certain global circulatory pattern tendencies. With the MJO in phase 6 or 7, the predominant circulation brings dry air and dust from the Sahara into the mid levels of the Cape Verde area and suppresses development. Given the right conditions, this ribbon of air can travel a long distance, practically across the entire Atlantic and suppressing storms normally generated by the ITCZ.

For model ensemble predictions of the MJO, visit http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml. We're currently in phase 6 as shown by most ensemble suites, slated to last at least through Aug 23.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    In other words, the ocean hates you, go kill yourself

7. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    well for starters its summer time.in order for there to be waves,u need a storm.we are in the "dry" season lol.hurricanes are hit and misses,nothing like a good ol noreaster.been a while since I actually surfed "good" waves..i just been swimming everyday,nothing better for training than swimming,not that I'm training lol I just like swimmin:)

8. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Sounds like this new feller, codfish, knows everything.

I'd start there

9. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thanks Obama

10. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Who cares, when's winter?

11. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    News today said a lot of sand blowing off Africa is keeping down storm formation.
    The Year of Andrew didn't see its first hurricane until beginning or mid August. Already we have seen five tropical storms. Give it time.

12. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    2 words.
    you ready?

[​IMG]

...and aliens.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  13. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    ^^ Wrong. It's only warm because it's summer. It got cold last winter. And it snowed. Science disproved.

14. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    note to self....summer is warmme....winter...Coolldd... got it.

great then by method of elimination - it's aliens.

#thanksAliens!

15. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The ocean said #eatmyfuk.

One feller said, the water's cold...
    [video=youtube;GUfMgc-b9zw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfMgc-b9zw[/video]

16. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Still very early, uncommon to see a cape Verde storm in early mid august.

17. be.ach.soon

be.ach.soon Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Thank you NOAA! After a slow summer a little bit of hope for fall.

18. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
  19. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    so given a choice between charging the storm surge or securing your casa what do you do ? you only get one choice!