Barbados travel advice

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by TubeDoc, Sep 13, 2022.

1. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Anyone been on a surf trip to Barbados and willing to share advice? I’m headed to Bathsheba for a few days this winter. Soup bowls sounds awesome but if it’s too heavy we may be looking for something mellower. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Yea, i was there right before covid, so early March 2020 i wanna say. We stayed at different places around the island, but Soup Bowls always had too much wind. It's def out the way (30-45 min from "city"), in the country side. The best waves were had at rocky South Point (southeast) and sandy, clear water Brandon's beach (southwest), both shortboardable. Freights (southeast) was more of the longboard variety, tho i hear it can get big. We got lucky with a north wind, able to surf Maycocks (northwest). Duppies wasn't working that well, but also a northern wind needed spot - looked like an interesting cove tho. We got our boards at Dread or Dead, like $20/day rentals - good selection. It takes about 30 min from southeast to southwest, add 30 min from south to north. Let me know if you need to know more, some of the spots were pretty tough to find if you didn't do a good bit of research. Surprisingly trip is still pretty fresh in the memory bank

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Was just there over spring break. Very consistent windswells on the East Coast, but almost always onshore due to the trades. However, it will occasionally glass off unexpectedly, so stay tuned into local conditions and be ready to hit it on a moment's notice. Out of all the breaks on the East side, Soup Bowl seems to be ridable no matter what the conditions are... the wave still breaks fairly cleanly, even though it's windy and big and chunky.

Brrandon's works well in almost all conditions, too. That's on the south coast, closer to town. I highly recommend you go there as a first check... 9 times out of 10 it will be a ridable left, no matter what.

If you get a north swell, hit Maycocks. It will be clean and offshore, but it needs a north swell, not the typical windswell you get every day on the east coast. It's a little tricky to find, but if there's waves, you'll see where guys park and the trail they use to get to the beach.

simod5 likes this.
  4. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks to both for the info! we will be staying close to Soup Bowls so glad to hear that it is consistent, and will be able to keep an eye on the wind / conditions, but also super helpful to hear about the other spots worth checking. much appreciated.