bicycle nerds get in here

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Aug 10, 2016.

1. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i want a bike.

i want this bike. redline pl26
    [​IMG]

there are no hills, mtns etc in coastal nc so I don't need gears.

is this a good bike?

2. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I used to BMX all the time. Have had several redline bikes. Double x and super x. Good brand, good quality. Bike looks fun. Makes me reminisce.

3. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    nice bike...but you sure you want to take the risk? Bikes are a great source of cardio, muscular exercise and sharpen reflexes...but they're also pretty dangerous. Depending on what you hit, a simple crash could keep you from surfing for weeks, months or even years. Didn't you already wreck your knee(s) once?

4. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    I prefer gears no matter where I am. I lived in ILM and found them useful and now I live back in Bethany/OV and prefer them still. Both flat beach towns with lots of wind. Wind is your enemy and best friend when biking. Wind is also why I prefer the gears. Many road bikes have a gear that's similar to what a fixed gear ratio would be so you can just keep it in that gear if you like. To me, the more options the better.

I have a 1986 Cannondale 12 speed (so hipster) and a 2005 Tomasso 24 speed (thing is crazy nice). All my friends were into fixed gears and now they don't ride anymore, but I do! Just my 2 cents...or tree fiddy, whatever

5. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Get one of these

http://thepartybike.com

The lady told me about this. I laughed and thought she was lying. Apparently there real and a bunch of places have tire on these things. That's my kind of bike

6. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    What are you looking to do with this bike? Looks like you're wanting a cruiser type, no? Hard to go wrong with a Boss Cruiser. Solid and reliable, these are very popular down here. My wife got the female version last summer and loves it. Also get some gears. Five or seven speeds will do. We have no hills here either but there are still plenty of times you need a different gear ratio.

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey meTard - I have an older Boss beach cruiser. Sell it to you for 40 bucks. It's a girls bike tho. Rides real nice, I took it all apart... Cleaned and greased the whole thing...

Wait are you really looking for a bike?

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    It has a basket and everything... You'll just have to add streamers

9. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm biased, because Redline was my bike of choice when I raced BMX way back when, but that bike looks awesome to me. Being a single speed cruiser makes it a bit one dimensional though. That isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on what you want out of it.

10. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    yeah, there's risk with everything. Some risks are necessary, like planes, trains and automobiles...without them most of us wouldn't be able to get to the beach. Surfing is a necessary risk...because that's what we love. Motorcycles, bicycles and skateboards are unnecessary risks that can stop you from surfing for a very long time. Your choice.

11. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Gears are gay. I live at the beach. Ooh the wind oh no. Morecrap to break. MP rode a pushbike and surfed pretty good.

12. Braap

Braap Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    I have that bike. Well worth it. Seats not the most comfortable the first few rides though. Legit use this at the beach so I don't need to pay to park. I'll park down the road and get my boarts out and pedal into my hidden access. Easy peaasy. Always lock that mother up though. It's very light and shiny and people will steal it

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  13. Erik1

Erik1 New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Hi there, I also want bike for my brother. Thank you for the suggestion.

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Oh brother....just don't forget to add the little ringy-dingy bell on the handlebar.......

15. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    separated my shoulder and fractured my wrist riding downhill. was only out for about 2 months. Sh!t heals.

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Herro thread, Prease.

17. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I went to walmart about 6 years ago and bought one of these.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Delmar-Cruiser-26-Men-s-Bike-Dark-Blue/34931889
    hundred bucks..

shes a little rusty now, but thats ok, i just put about 80 bucks into it to get her back in tip top shape. Fitted her with some new grips, chain, tires, greased the bottom bracket, and a few other odds and ends and shes running great again.

I get the whole wanting a racing frame/bmx style bike, i used to ride trails all the time. But really... I can bunny hop that cruiser right up a curb and get some decent air off of peoples driveways.

Also i tried to tap a beer with my back tire one time and blew the b1tch right out.

Would love to take her off a dirt jump just to see what would happen.

18. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I guess im screwed, because aside from surfing, those are my favorite activities.

I seperated my shoulder and fractured a couple ribs XC riding in Oct, but I was really pushing my limits. Just cruising around I dont think bicycling is all that bad. Probably the safest of the three activities you mention I think. Its so fun, I think reward outweighs the risk. I was back to surfing again in December anyway. My paddling was weak so I used it as motivation to get into shape...dropped 30lbs and hit CR in May in best shape I had been in for years.

So I guess everyone should get a bicycle and crash and you'll come out ahead!

19. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    As for the risk, it depends on where you live IMO.

I live in a city and there's too much traffic full of people checking their phones, texting, etc... for me to trust my fellow man on a daily basis on a bike. Love mt. biking where the biggest risk is myself. If you live in the sticks, the risks seem much lower..

20. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    El Tardito,

What do you want to use it for? Just cruising around? Reliving the BMX days? Trail riding? (There's actually trails around Wilmy, one of my primary surf buds down in Wilmy races...).