Biggest East Coast Wave

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by davincimoon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Its not that NJ is breaking like Pipe or something constantly... it has its moments. And for what you're saying about NJ being exposed in the last decade, it has been. About once a year(that I've read), whether it be in Surfer... Surfing whatever... there is an article about NJ winters. Barreling 5-8' waves constantly during the winter when theres a swell. NJ goes off during the winter with a good swell...

The other thing, we're not saying these massive 30' waves are ridable. Most of the time its just a wave that no one wants to even think about riding. Like the one over the Inlet Jetty, No way in hell thats ridable, but its still there and the break can hold it. Its so rare for a wave that big to be ridable, that it'll rarely ever happen. But many times I've seen 10-20' waves that are ridable...

Edit: Oh, and rgnsup, thats my photo from MSW you jacked of the pipe and tower :)

2. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Tres Palmas is Atlantic, but NOT east coast. Technically, we call it the Caribbean. There are even bigger wave spots in PR along the north coast and in or around San Juan

3. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    The science can be a little more complicated and has to do with other factors such as local wind conditions, swell periodicity, swell size, bottom contours (e.g., undersea channels/canyons) and water depths in the transition to the sandbar/reef.

4. drivensurf

drivensurf Active Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Dude.. honestly, "only a local would understand"... what that you are a kook? nobody in their right mind would call that wave 30ft.

5. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    second one is nice.

let's see some big as **** pics, not mediocre big.

6. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008

You're missing the point that you're only seeing about half the wave in that picture. Again. Only a local would understand.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  7. drivensurf

drivensurf Active Member

Sep 26, 2008
    What jersey surfer hasn't surfed or seen manasquan? I surfed it in '93 when it was 75 ft and hollow. I got spit out of a tube straight into Leggits bar and ordered a martini.

8. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Hhaha... I didn't claim it :p ..and I know where that is ;)

Did I win yet for presenting the biggest wave in this thread that is proven to be rideable?!?! :D:D:D:D:D

9. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    STFU Pepper! ...I'm not even gonna waste my breath on you.

Haha....BTW - you got owned by tbing

10. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    best thread in this forum.

11. Shakagrom

Shakagrom Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
  12. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    One. That wave is not rideable, why theres a freaking pipe in the way, and secondly, that day it was breaking way to fast to be out there and survive it.

Aguaholic... epic right? haha :p

[​IMG]
    This ones bigger rgn. I win.

13. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
  14. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I don't understand...did you not see these....

15. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    ... But I took that one :p You didn't take those? Or did you?

16. xgen70

xgen70 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Not to keep this thing going, but the picture in qestion that got this thread up to 10 pages, ..I noticed that that inlet water level is as high as it could be with out spilling over the sides, so my qeuston is:

If water seeks is lowest point, always....how could the base of the wave in question, which is next to the jetty and jetty is next to the inlet,...how could the water level/base of the wave be so much lower then the water level of the lnlet? Would not the inlet water rush into the lowest point which would be right on the other side of the inlet jetty?

Even if that wave is far removed from being next to the jetty as others have said, it still coould not account for the water level being so much different then the water level surrounding it, could it.

Once again, if you follow this line of reasoning the idea of this wave being even 20 foot plus is called into question.

And as far as anything that has been posted since that even comes close to 30 plus feet, or 20 plus feet for that matter, would be the ASH storm story, which has some sort of relaible facts to back up the wave sizes. I still do not think many have a good idea of what a wave over 20 feet even looks like. I have been to only one place that came close to 20 feet and that was a first hand site of a second reef pipeline bomb in 03. now that wave was only in the 12 to 15 foot range, as the announcer said over the speakers, but it did break off of the second reef that is for sure. The picture from NJ only looks about half that size to be honest, but who knows maybe it is 25 feet.......

17. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Moderator

May 23, 2006
    Lol I am in the picture at that end of the pier and I have HD footage of Jesse dropping in on that wave above. I have seen the Outer Banks bigger and better conditions than those pictures when I lived there.

18. drivensurf

drivensurf Active Member

Sep 26, 2008
    First.. i dont know what Pepper means; maybe if I lived in Manasquan i would understand that.? secondly , you are clearly that guy (or girl) who always says its way bigger than it is. We all know people like you, and, like lifeguards and rent-a-cops, you make the world kookier, one report at a time.

19. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Life guards make the world "kookier"?

I'm so happy that you can fend for yourself, so when you actually need help one time, don't worry about it, cause if they come to help you, you'll prolly call them a kook and that you're fine and tell them to get out of your way.

20. drivensurf

drivensurf Active Member

Sep 26, 2008
    no, im just playin around. we need them.