Body Surfing Big Waves

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Jun 27, 2018.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Mark Cunningham body surfing Pipe.

2. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Who needs a boart when you can get tubes on your belly!

3. heaps of Meh

heaps of Meh Active Member

Jul 6, 2012
  4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Just watched this movie. You’d probably dig it. Get a fat spliff, burn it down and kick back and enjoy. It’s just over 40 minutes. Worth the time...

La_Piedra likes this.
  5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I think I’ll gonna pick me up a pair of fins. Any suggestions on a decent brand?

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.
  6. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Hard to go wrong with Churchill Makapuus. Get some socks to reduce chafing. Some tethers are advised as well because they don't float. I made my own. Dafin fins are popular with lifeguards because they are kinda short and apparently you can run across the sand while wearing them. I've never tried that. I have both but prefer my Churchills and even use them when snorkeling.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  7. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Churchills made nowadays are horrible

Their super uncomfortable and by the time the foot bed has softened your toe starts popping out the hole and the propulsion is horrible.

Go with ERS4, Viper or POD's

I've been using the ERS4's and feel they are the best fin I have had in two decades

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks man, I’ll check those out!

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

For body surfing in Florida, or the Caribbean, I found a full footed fin works best--no straps and a decent heel. You have these critters know as sea urchins. I have been using Cressi fins (Italian), and I only use one fin, a single slap on the face of the wave should always get you going. For boogie boarding, listen to jawn.

10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012

https://www.slydehandboards.com/pages/choosing-bodysurfing-fins

im gonna take a new set out to Hawaii this winter, as I will be staying about 5 minutes from sandy beach. This site seems to be decent with a review on each set up...

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  11. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Oh Barry no

I body surf New Jerseyian Wedge and Belmar when it's pumping 23's you ax Jesus
    You need two fins for propulsion and drag to get deep inside da wet chubezzzz

Never had a problem with urchins

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Okey dokey, I defer to you!!
    The urchin thing is for reefs in PR/DR etc.
    Anyway, I still have a Cressi fin I have been using since 1970 or so. Works well, and it floats when needed!! When I was 8 years old, I used to body surf near San Juan, at the Condado Beach Hotel (surely been renamed since then)--they had a large stone jetty. We used to take off at its side and go screaming down the beach bodysurfing. It was like a mini-Newport Beach--hollow and fast. As an 8 year old, 5-6 foot drops were awesome and intimidating. My eldest brother (9 yrs older) used to take me out with him. He got me started on all this surfing foolishness. Good times!!

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Mostly for body surfing here in FL but if I travel they’ll come with me.

14. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    You remember the old El San Juan hotel?
    Probably been renamed a hundred times too.

15. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014

I use them for bodysurfing, boogin' and free diving

Done sand reconned every break in Rincon on days when it was flat

Swam through every section of reef from the marina up to the point at the light house

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Right on, that’s what I wouldn’t mind doing as well.

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yup, do I ever. That hotel was in Isla Verde, near the airport. About 1/4 mile east was Pine Grove, where I learned to surf on longboards at age 10. My old stomping grounds.
    When I was a late teen (16-18) El San Juan had a nice disco we used to go to to pick up american chicks, or take my hottie girlfriend there. Them were great days for me.
    As for renaming it, Im not sure it has been renamed, but it may have different owners. That name, "El San Juan" was way too distinct to surrender, I think. I could be wrong.
    Thanks, man, for bringing that up

Edit--just googled it--it still has the same name.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2018