Building the 6'6" Gang Buster. Roy Stuarts Parallel Profile construction method.

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Cuck Taylor, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    [video=youtube;GPo2RMHgSKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPo2RMHgSKQ[/video]

good job spicoli. real original pan handle name too bub.

2. Lee

Lee Member

Sep 20, 2011
    your doing a fine job on the board! I have built two wood boards myself.The biggest rush will be your first wave.The ones i have are Grain homegrowns.this boards constuction is beefy.There will be no chop.my 8' weighs about 19.5 lbs.and the guys right,don't tumble with it.if you do,I find it better to keep it tight.

3. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    grain boards are sweet, hands down when it come to buying a kit grain is the best. they sent u pre milled strips , glass and resin and everything right ? the grain shop is literally a mile from my furniture shop. I love what they do.
    thanks for your compliment. I will continue to post pictures of this build process. I cant wait for some swell! good thing its been so flat here because I have been so focused on my build which I am really enjoying.

4. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Yahhhhhhh braddddddahhhhhh!!!!!

Best scene evahhhhhh!!!!

Jus ax PB&J!!! Where'd ya get that jacket?!?!?

He got it from "the network"!!!!!

5. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Spicoli I'm starting to like you more after that comment. What a great movie

6. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
  7. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg

Still hand foiling the wing tunnel. I think I'll put Kevlar on it and then go with the graphite resin finish for the hot coat. I want this thing to be strong. Roy how much do your stainless steel vents weigh ? I just got a 1.5" stainless steel vent from a local marine dealer but the thing weighs a ton ...

8. Steve83

Steve83 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Looking good Charles. FaomEZ has a nice little black plastic vent with o-ring I've used a few times.

9. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    We've got some waves this week...when ya heading out?

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  11. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    I'll be out at long sands on Saturday and Sunday. The gang buster ain't finished yet so I'll probably be on my 10 ft cedar Malibu or perhaps my surftech long board..

12. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    It looks like your trailing edge needs more foiling. Looking good though.

Anyway regarding vents, the big stainless vents are typically a pound in weight. we cut off the long filler tube and this halves the weight. I use them for longboards, for shortboards I have some of these:

http://driftwoodsurfboards.co.uk/shop/stainless-steel-vents/

[​IMG]

13. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Roy I cut already did exactly what you said and cut off the stem on the stainless steel fitting. Much lighter, I'm gonna go with it. Careful hand foiling is taking some time but it's actually enjoyable for me, an excuse to sit on the deck and have a few beers.. Quite nice actually I'm really enjoying the process. I've held the annular wing into a high velocity shop fan and I can feel a nice force of lift on it. It's starting to look like a wing for sure. image.jpg image.jpg

14. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Bro long sands was going off like gang busters today. I got the 10' parallel profile Malibu out and it rode pretty well kinda weird but it went ! Where u surfin at in Maine anyways ?

15. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Progress. Just need to attach the tunnel fin and it's ready for surf. This thing has a ton of volume so it's weight shouldn't be a problem on the water. With all the resin and hardware it weighs 23 lbs... A bit heavy but it should drive nicely

16. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I think it looks really nice! let us know how it surfs. take some vids if you can.

17. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Just saw this now...looks like you posted last Wednesday. I was out that evening and it was by far the best conditions since Memorial Day weekend. Super clean, chest-ish high. Had a great night. I'm up in Kennebunkport so I'm always at Gooch's Beach. If there are waves, I'm in the water though usually after work. If you're up this way, give me a shout...otherwise I'll wait until the project board is launched and pay a visit to York. The board looks unreal.

18. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    That's a pretty looking beast, like a bumblebee. By the way have you seen the new shark repellent wetsuits with the zebra stripes? The gang buster might have a similar effect.

19. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Hey, was your use of, " That's a pretty looking beast, like a bumblebee," a racial slur? I warn you, if you are recorded using racial slurs, you will be mandated to counseling. Counseling........

20. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012

I doubt Roy keeps up with American football news in NZ.