Career / Life Advise Tread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Aug 9, 2018.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Discreetly contact your competition and see if they need some free lance sales help.

Meanwhile try to pick up a side gig at night (or during the day) on the phone for a couple hours a day, selling something totally different that you may want to get into full time down the road. Don't give up money to make money, make more money! But this will give you a plan B if the ax does fall. Build up your LinkedIn profile asap.

I've always had a side gig. Or two. One is now in launch mode so I have sacrificed lots of time and waves for the future. Working extra hours, that is a choice you may want to make if you have the energy and family situation to allow that. The waves will be there, and your surf skills are still on the gradual upswing for the foreseeable future. So you are in a good position to miss a few waves now for a shot at fame and glory later.

Most importantly. visualize what you want, then take the steps. You know this, that's how you got to the sweet spot where you now have a nice place near waves and a steady job and a loving wife. Good luck mi amigo!

2. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Probably a signed no compete contract; if not, the head hauncho is dense.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    You are correct. Most of my issue is with who is in charge and making the big decisions right now. That would include my direct supervisor or associate manager which as I stated before use to be one of MY direct reports so it's a bit of an awkward dynamic.

Then there's the Director, the Napoleon complex guy who really makes the decisions for our department. Then there is his boss the VP who is the guy who told him that they aren't thrilled with my situation and all about numbers and doesn't give a shit about people or their opinions.

Then there is the CEO who has a rosy view of the business from the top but doesn't have the slightest clue what really goes on there on a day-to-day as he stays at the top dealing with his department heads and gets fed only the info they want him to hear.

When they do solicit feedback at the all hands meetings, anybody who disagrees with management and the direction they are taking us is shot down and made to feel wrong, as they continue to sell their agenda and defend their positions despite outspoken concerns from people who have been with the company a long time.

They don't like the OG's of the company disagreeing with their plans for the future. The people who built the company and made it possible for them to have an opportunity at the company, are not as valued as you would think. They see it as a company that did OK but now THEY are going to take it to the next level, show us how it's done type of thing.

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yes, I signed one of those almost 15 years ago under a different CEO and management team.

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I could make it work if I had the investors. I wouldn't need to be there 24/7 to be effective. I'd still surf regularly and handle my business. They are owned by an investment firm now, it would take a large amount of money to buy them out.

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks bud, I have seriously considered contacting a competitor lol, they are passing us by and wouldn't mind being on the winning team again. That said, I have no idea if it would come back to bite me since I did sign a non-compete almost 15 years ago under a different regime. I will take your advice into consideration as well, good tips.

7. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    I would bite you really hard and easily with that. Fact.

8. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    There is a big difference in being "effective" and being and remaining the leading company.

9. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Most non-competes aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Plus they have to put up a surety bond equal to the amount of wages/commissions you will forfeit while the judge gives you a cease and desist.

Start an LLC, (it's cheap) then you are untouchable, and new company can pay you under that. You pay way less taxes, and now you owe me a beer. LOL

10. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    This is a no brainer and I'm surprised no one said it yet. Get a job in the medicinal marijuana field. Then when they legalize you will be set!

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  11. Merx

Merx Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2018
    We completely disagree.

Even a verbal contract is enforceable, although more difficult.

Additionally, an LLC is not untouchable. Any veil can be pierced, if all i's and t's are not dotted/crossed.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    MrBigglesworth likes this.
  12. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Either way, it sounds like you have her behind you and that's all that matters! Do whatcha gotta do man!

MrBigglesworth and DawnPatrol321 like this.
  13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks bro, it certainly helps to have her support.

Zeroevol likes this.
  14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Got any connects!? Talk about a labor of love!

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    This is true, my definition of being effective is being #1.

16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I bet you would! If anybody would get pinched for it, it would be me lol

17. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    No I don't have any but I know there is a lot of activity going on in Florida like there was in California when they first got medicinal. I would have burned a fatty with you after Squid Lips but I had my kid with me.

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I'll buy you beer just for being you bro!

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Right on, I have been curious about that, might be worth looking into. Next time you make the trip I got you covered! :D

20. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    It was bound to happen.

They used to get me to sign one each month at one job. 14 years is a longtime to try to enforce a non compete with all the industry changes.

One place sued me, I ended up owning it a couple years later. True story.

SCOB3YVILLE likes this.