Caribbean, Costa Rica...

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by davincimoon, Feb 2, 2011.

1. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    I land in Costa on Thursday and looks like the Caribbean is going to be firing throughout the weekend and there's a contest in Puerto Viejo this weekend so I am changing my half cocked thought out plans and making my way there to check it, check it out. Truth is I've always surfed the pacific side and only been out to the Caribbean side once and it was flat so I don't know jack...Any real life break info from experienced would be muy bueno. Also places to stay, breaks, preferably lefts, anything so I'm not as completely clueless as I'm going to be...Although I am stoked am stoked and that is most important. Pura Vida my friends!

2. jml7140

jml7140 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I stayed there a while back - its a comletely different vibe from the Pacific coast. On our first night we went to an open air restaraunt by the beach that was surrounded by tall shrubs. Within a few minutes of being seated this rasta hiding in the bushes offers us some multa. Same thing when I was in the bathroom - guy just opened the door and offered to sell me some. Did you ever read the book in Search of Captain Zero? If not you should before you go down there or take it with you. Anyways, you have to surf Salsa Brava its a really fun wave especially when its head high. You can go left but its shorter and shallower - most people surf it as a right. I've heard there are other waves up the beach that are mellower beach breaks that break left and right. We only surfed Salsa because it was so much fun. Accomodations were easy when we were there. You can find something in puerto viejo and pretty cheap - we didn't make reservations although we were there in April. Thursday - Sunday looks really good on the Caribbean coast. Have fun!