CB-- 1/2 mile of beach and 3 great sandbars all to myself all day

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by babybabygrand, Dec 2, 2013.

1. babybabygrand

babybabygrand Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    That's why I'm thankful for Sunday football and ACC basketball. My spot in CB was pretty much going off (much more swell in water than was predicted--no wind) just before dark last night with ZERO people in the lineup to share some great waves with.

Does anyone else notice a decrease in "fair weather surfers/kooks" at their breaks when a "big game " is on?

no complaints here mind you. That was my kinda Sunday.

Wish I had pics to share.

2. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Good on you BBG! I left CB Sunday morning in the rain. It looked like it could clear up, but I was tired from fighting wind and current, Wednesday through Saturday. Got some fun rides Friday Only one other surfer out. Wednesday was a humbling experience...

3. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
    ha! that is an understatement my friend...Wednesday...whewee! I got my a$$ nailed on the first wave of the day. The bruises are just now starting to clear up.

4. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
  5. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Wednesday turned into some all-time CB. My sinuses must have drained a gallon in the hours after my 3.5 hour session. And yeah, it was breaking in less than waist deep water at low tide where I was--the barrels were wider than they were tall for about an hour.

6. Jai-Guru

Jai-Guru Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Not unusual to get empty peaks at CB this time of year. If it wasn't cloudy and dank I imagine there would have been few more out...

7. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
    Yessir I saw those gaping barrels :) . But I didn't dare paddle out in low tide. I tried to catch the incoming around noon, I think it was, and it was still waay to shallow/steep for my post-flu ridden body/lungs/muscles to cope with. Real steep drops require ALL of your senses and faculties to be on point. Especially on a 9'2"!

8. CBSCREWBY

Feb 21, 2012
    I took some decent pics in the AM. A surfer who is much better and much wiser than me told me to wait until the tide filled in before I attempted surfing. There were some great surfers out. I was glad I got into the line up and didn't get in anybody's way. The second time I ate it big I decided to ride the foam in and got rolled up the beach like a dead fish. I got a, "Way to be out there chargin'," from one of the best CB surfers, so I got that going for me. lol. I'm such a kook...

9. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    BBG you say you had 3 sandbars for yourself.....why am I picturing a dog with like 50 tennis balls, he can still only play with one at a time :) (3 if he is talented)

10. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
    ha...yea I was kinda in salty dog heaven :). it was one of those setups where in all actuality it was prob just one big sandbar that had been chopped up by the last swell...3 perfect lil rips marked where the boundaries of the intact bars were still working. I'd position myself right in the middle of that and paddle right or left to take advantage of the "edge of the rip effect" i see 'round here alot. some rides got me from the left sandbar all the way over to the right sandbar. I'd paddle back out and then just try and catch a left back across to the other bar...the set up was super fun. I was totally Bar Hoppin!

11. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
    tried WB and scored again today!... definitely smaller waves but had some punch. @hanna so you were out sunday? It was eerie how few people were out. In what honey hole were you hiding?

12. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I also was pumped on yesterday. I went out around 3 and was surprised by how good it was. I needed it after being stuck at work all day on Wednesday watching the cams. No barrels yesterday but it was super ripable and definitely a fun session. One of these days we will have to have a Swellinfo paddle out down here haha

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Good for you dude, my best and favorite sessions have happened when I was all alone, nobody in my way, just me and the waves and real estate for miles, if it's overcast even better, dark gloomy and cold sign me up, it just makes for a eerie vibe and I dig that, especially when the waves are good

14. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

I'm down, but I fear it will be like herding cats getting more than 4 of us in the same spot at any time. I'm interested to see who I've shared the lineup with in the past without knowing they too are SI junkies.

Rob, I'm almost certain I have at some point seen you, dl, hanna and possibly bbg in the water. You can't miss me, according to Chuck I look like Paula Deen.....

15. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Yeah that's true, plus I don't want to be those dudes that show up 10 deep to a spot and all paddle out at once. I bet we have shared the lineup at some point, I will be on the lookout for Paula Deen on a Pier Pony haha.

16. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    We should all form a gang that rolls deep kicking people off the peaks and waxing their car windows. Razor blade fins, barbwire leashes and ninja star fin keys would all be standard issue. Really tough stuff.

I'm going to start asking people in the lineup about butter until I find Erock.

17. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
    Look like Paula Deen? lol to the max. Now if you were to be able to COOK like Paula Deen This SI meetup could happen with the quickness of melting butter in a frying pan! mmm mmm mmmh ;)

18. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Wednesday was awesome. South facing beaches were pretty fun but my boys had pictures of grinding right bowls with them deep inside sweeping up the beach on CB. That swell angle must have made for some really makeable dry barrels at the lower tide early. Seemed to have a little cross up SE swell mixed in to the south? Slight hump on the lines which made it even better. Great conditions for sure but I wished I had a hat!

19. babybabygrand

Nov 1, 2012
    hell looks like I'll be out in a few there's still some swell in the water it seems but the tide is crazy high...All this Paula deen talk has me craving some food...I'm just making some french toast and bacon. I mean man is there better pre-surf grub than that? anyone else hitting it?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  20. CBSCREWBY

Feb 21, 2012
    Bumping this thread because Surfchex has a great CB camera now. I'm watching several surfers ride sweet little peelers between the pier and the groin. Maybe you guys already know about this camera, but I didn't; thought it was the same as camera as Hotwax. Nope.
    Anyhoo, you can all watch me surf between Christmas and New Year's. I'll be the guy in the black wetsuit.