coastal living: rural vs. urban: whats better and why? , and where i 've been lately

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII, Jun 8, 2015.

1. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Been a hectic few weeks for Unc. I know you've all probably been asking yourselves where I've been; nobody to tell rooks to take their own lives, no one to interject over sexualized comments in threads where they don't belong, etc. I wanna first start by saying that I've neglected you guys and I'm sorry. Its been chay-os but its no excuse. And now I need the advice and wisdom of the forum.

I sold my house in Vermont in mid May a lot quicker than expected. Was busy packing my life up prior. I am looking to relocate to coastal NH/Maine, but I didn't see anything that did it for me at the time before I moved and didn't want to rush it. I stumbled into a dirt cheap rental with a former coworker on a pimp ski condo a bit more north, closer to Burlington but farther from the beach. Burlington is a great place to be single, summer is flat anyway.

Couldn't move in until the first week of June. Had a week on the road for work and I've been vagabond homeless crasher for a few weeks. Just moved in this week. Just got internet last night. Im back.

The master plan is to move to coastal NH/Maine by the end of the summer. Did some scouting in mid coast Maine and fell in love with small rural coastal towns that reek of low tide. Then drove back to "town" or at least the closest amenities (women and booze, groceries and gym) and remembered exactly what I hate about living in Vermont --- no amenities. Drove to NH and got stuck in traffic, more heads in the water, and remembered what I hate about civilization--- people. So I am still on the fence as to where to go.

Which raises the question, if you live on or around the coast, what type of area do you live in? Is it rural? Urban? Touristy? Pros and cons of each?

I am about to make a major life decision, and I know---I've come to the right place.

Im gonna throw some options on the table, and maybe someone can get a poll going. I'm mid 30s and actively single, but I have an inner Luddite woodsman soul that I can't shake. I have the following options available to me:

A.) One of many condos within walking distance of nice(r) part of Old Orchard Beach, which is kinda trashy otherwise. Pros: Amenities abound, surfing is 1/4 mile away (can't drive, have to walk in summer). Cons: Culture on scale from 1 to 10 is a 1.8.

B.) One of many multi family houses in Biddeford, which is one of Maine's ghettos. Pros: Daytime alcoholics with minimal teeth for neighbors, amenities nearby, rental income, and I could probably buy two of em. Cons: Coming to terms with the fact that I am white trash and belong in the ghetto after all, trashy tenants, trashy neighbors, and the ghetto, once the juvenile frat boy irony of moving to the ghetto wears off.

C.) There are a handful of small cedar shake houses in the mid coast area that I can swing adjacent to some excellent surfing. Not naming spots. North of Portland, and we will leave it at that. Nothing serene, but nothing urban by any means. Amenities are decent but nothing to rave about. Pros: Meets the duality of my non-surfing needs and sought after amenities, but not wonderfully. Cons: Somewhat out of orbit.

D.) A condo in NH, two towns in from the beach. I can swing a nice condo in that area. Pros: Pimp condo will get me laid. Cons: summer traffic and crowds, more southern New England vibe than Northern, more yuppyish.

E.) San Diego. Pros: Consistency, I get wicked winter depression, and because its San Diego. Cons: The water wars of 2017 are on the horizon.

F.) Spend a year living in the south pacific in some cheap country. Pros: Spending a year living in the south pacific in some cheap country. Cons:............................ Can anyone think of any cons? What are the cheapest places to live in the south pacific for a season?

Thanks for the wisdom...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I live 8 miles south of ocean city maryland. Delmarva is awesome because once you move out of the OCMD area, even by 10 miles its full on country. It's hot though and nowhere near the charm of a coastal maine town or even the Maine countryside. I would opt for more country than city, but then again I am old, don't party and am in bed early every night.

3. chainey

chainey Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    F many options?...go kill yourself.

Seriously...if f is an option,I'd go with f.
    Tomorrow is promised to no-one.

4. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    idfk what you should do

keep us posted 'cause your life seems more interesting than most.

el tardito

5. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    According to what you've written, my initial take is that "C" might best provide the balance you want. It also appears your inner Ludite would be conflicted in the more urban options.

Best wishes in your quest.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. White Sea Ape

White Sea Ape Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Don't go to the biddeford ghetto. However that part of Maine has good surfing.

7. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

Oct 19, 2014
    I forgot to add

G) In a Waffle House bathroom

H) Inside the fat fold of an obese Waffle House waitress in Magon, GA.

8. chainey

chainey Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Actually,Georgia is quite nice.

9. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    suite post u2b
    do you know Zach 619?

my thoughts: urban areas= more vaginas

that is all

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    MIS is absolutely right, my buddy rampages on tinder to the point of boredom, and he is neither wealthy nor particularly charming.

Anyway, go the South Pacific or ... South America. Explore the world while enjoying an endless supply of foreign women and quality surf, before you knock someone up or your d*ck goes limp.

11. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    my buddy had an amazing time in bali, many chicks looking to ball in bali
    tinder is a smart search app, so wherever you go....you will score
    can you grow a beard a pretend to be into yoga?
    going to bali will leapfrog your surfing above 99% of the forum
    water wars? how about real wars with china? whatever, our empire is dying. enjoy the morally casual women while you can

so Id set up option B, put a competent toothless drunk* in charge and then go to bali and live off rental income...set up same scene there and then>>#winning**

* may or may not exist
    ** if this works, I want to go to bali ( u owe me and I am a baller a$$ wingman*** )

*** married men with mortgages and kids secrete fukitol, a little known hormone that can either send men into deep depression or make them like king kong on meth

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

U2B,
    What you have described your situation to be prompts me to post a suggestion. If you want to go elsewhere for a while, preferably to a surfing destination, I suggest you not go too far--Bali, Chile, etc, etc, all sound very romanticized, but when reality checks in, you are very far. Very very far. I suggest you travel to the tropics....but locally. Try PR for a winter season--good surf, great foods, weather seems always good, never cold, never too hot, etc. You can rent a studio for a year or so, and SEE IF YOU LIKE IT. If you do, then pick up and go far, Bali etc. I would love to see Bali, Mentawais, etc, but living there may be another and different experience entirely, sometimes great, but not always.
    So, I guess I am saying baby steps. Sudden change can be bewildering. Vermont is NO location to make one wordily (I mean, Bernie Sanders....really??). Neither is NH or Maine. Nice places but mentality is extremely local, small townish.
    Anyway, that is my best advice. Were I single, I would travel, but widening my scope slowly. The last thing you want to do is to "kill yourself"!! Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  13. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

Oct 19, 2014
    So far Im getting a lot of good positive feedback. Nobody has steered me to yuppie condo-ville yet.

I've ventured far before... Ive spent a few months living out of a backpack on benches and parks and in hostels overseas, and I've lived out of a capped pick up for a spring/summer. Ive got vagabond gypsy blood. If I go tropical, far is what I want---$7 a day and a language barrier and native kids looking at my tattoos like Im an alien (almost full coverage) far.

MIS... Why you haven't written self help books is astounding. And yes, my empire is dying, you're right.

14. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    If you go to the coast to escape people just know that they will come to you in the next 10 years or so.

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'd go with C. It's important (to me) to have good surf near where you either live or work. You can always get out of town for everything else, when you feel like it. Then you have home base to disappear to, when you need to.

16. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    C or F. Actually I'd do F and then come back and do C if that's possible. You seem to have no problems with flexibility and cold water so why not move to Nova Scotia? Or the Outer Banks? A perfect mixture of girls, woods and waves.

17. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Of all the options, what best suites your wave preference?

18. santiago58

santiago58 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
  19. salzsurf

salzsurf Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    U2B, don't sleep on Option B. That town will be on the rise in the next ten years with a strong influx of "uppity white people". There's a lot of money being thrown into renovating the mills. Yuppies love that crap. Throw in the proximity to the beach and you have yourself some soaring property values.

Portsmouth used to be a scummy, blue-collar fishing village not so long ago...

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yup, and now it is a scummy, uppity white-collar people fishing village. Full of people like....like.....well, like me.