Colder than normal?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by zach619, Jan 12, 2010.

1. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I am from OC MD area originally, but i didn't ever surf to much in the winter growing up there. I know that the water can dip all the way down to about 36-37, basically as cold as salt water will allow, but I thought that happened in about mid february. I live on the west coast now, but I check all the mid atlantic reports daily. It says that everywhere from Hatteras to Jsery shore is 37-41 degrees right now in the water.

Am I crazy, or is it just colder there than normal, much faster than normal. Like I said, I didnt ever surf much in the winter since wetsuits werent nearly as advanced as they are these days, but 37 sounds fu**ing cold. I know you guys had a blizzard and arctic air blasts, but that is crazy. I thought last year the coldest I saw north OBX was like 42.... 37 down in NC! I know south of hatteras is about 10 degrees warmer, but even wilmington is already 47 it said.

Global warming my arse!

2. austinj215

austinj215 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I know Ventnor is a bit more north but the water temp is reading at 34 degrees.... Which is ridiculous! I wish there was a bit more of that global warming

3. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Trapped greenhouse gases affect the whole planet with greater-than-normal fluctuations-hot and cold. Just because it's colder here doesn't mean this is not happening - that's localized. Remember, it's summer in the southern hemisphere. Melbourne, Australia was at 110F today, and their meteorologists said the past 10 years have been the hottest it's ever been.

4. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
  5. bbnj

bbnj Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Salt water freezes below 32 degrees. So it can allow much colder temperatures.

6. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Yeah 28 degrees is the freeze point for the ocean. But, in more salter waters the freeze point drops even more.

7. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Yea,I heard something like this too.....

8. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Global Warming, lol, OZ, lol. Global Warming is a joke. MOST scientists have now stated that the earth's temps are cooling in the past 20 years. I'm hoping for global warming. Bring some of the Australia temps my way.

Don't buy into this global warming fad. Any warming is caused by the sun and solar radiation. Carbon dioxide doesn't cause temp differences. It may cause other issues, but it's definitely not causing warming. Only the sun can do that. You know the big bright ball in the sky which gives us heat. I hope your not for the carbon cap system which will tax us all into poverty. See you exhale CO2, they may even tax your breathing, lol. Good thing most people on this site can hold their breath for a while.

9. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    Even better information, lol. Omg, temps are different than usual. Temps change everyday. Of course they won't be the same. This has happened since the earth was formed and before any heavy industry. Temps (including extreme ice ages) have happened before we were ever around. Us humans are so arrogant and believe we have an affect on temp, lol. I feel sorry for the people of Haiti, but I'm sure that they don't feel bad for the planet. The planet can shake us off any time it wants or hit us with some major disaster all of which is not caused by us. It's caused by magnetic reversal of the poles, land shifts, fault lines, plate tectonics, etc.

If you surf, you realize that the ocean is amazing and it's raw pure energy. We have no control over the waves which hit are beaches. The same with temperatures. The planet was here before us and it will be here after we are gone.

10. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Right, proponents of "Global Warming" (you could consider this a misnomer, maybe should be global climate change) will still argue that global warming causes the colder than usual temps as well.
    Global warming can cause the colder than usual winters because the earth is trying to regulate itself and balance things out. So, you could look at it as sort of over correcting.

11. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    Please state the facts and back up your comments with science.

12. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Exactly, that's why the correct term is climate change and not global warming.

13. instantkarma

instantkarma Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Please stop

This site is called swell info so i would suggest sticking to things that you know and understand, the facts. The water is cold here and it is hot in the southern hemi. Just because FOX news says global warming is false does not make you a expert on the subject. Recongnize that you are a victim of propaganda and leave science to people with mutiple letters after their name.

14. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm simply stating why those who believe in global warming ague that it does not just cause the warming part. Why they believe the colder than usual temp and effects are still a part of global warming.
    I'm not trying to argue for or against anything here.

By the way, maybe you should heed your own advise. What, because you (barrels4liam) come on to a surf forum and type a few sentences, we are supposed to take those a facts and proven science?

15. CSB

CSB Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Not picking sides, since I don't really know much about this... BUT a professor I had at Old Dominion U. believed the earth is beginning to enter a cooling phase and that global warming is a natural phenomenon...

16. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    I actually don't watch FOX or any other major news media. Everyone is brainwashed by the major networks. Just believe your Fuhrer and everything govt/media tells you. They never lie! You see all the media stations as well as politicians are on the same team. FOX = CNN, Republican = Democract. People actually believe they are different. They all love war, lining their pockets, taking away liberty/freedom in the name of security, and taking your money. All of have commited crimes and should be prosecuted. We would all be in jail for the same crimes especially killing over 2 million soldiers and innocent civilians.

I'm for the environment and keeping our oceans clean. I work in Marine Biology and I'm probably more qualified then you. I've met and talked with several scientists. The overwhelming number of scientists state that climate change is a hoax. It's just another reason for government to tax. Any guess who's benefiting, Al Gore and Wall Street who will be running cap and trade. If climate change is caused by CO2, lol, companies will still be allowed to pollute as long as they pay. So big corporations can fork out the dough and still pollute, while the average joe will pay for running his AC unit. Wake up and read a book. Please present the science to back up your claim. I've been studing graphs and looking at algorithms regarding temps. All of the scientists I've talked with understand that this is a hoax. The temp is actually cooling which is a problem, it's just not caused by CO2. Follow the money and you will see the light. Ask yourself why oil companies are for cap/trade. Also, ask why the head of the weather channel know it is a hoax and the head of green peace has resigned from his position because of this joke. Wake up and think for yourself.

17. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    By the way, I don't really remember the water temp being warm here in January ever, lol.

18. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Whatever you want to call it, HUMAN IMPACT from such things as burning fossil fuels and other forms of improper waste management lead to accelerated, and unnatural fluctuations in temperatures. This means it can get warmer than normal in the summer and winter, and can get colder than normal in the summer and winter. It doesn't mean the whole Earth gets warmer and hotter.

If you think this is just a political scheme then you're just as big of a fool (read as 'tool') as the FOX News watchers who listen to that garbage. I've been studying all of this on my own for the last several years while most of you are just finishing up high school. I believe I have a much more educated opinion than let's say.. NOOBS that come on here and try to spread their weak parental-guided opinion on this forum.

Go pick some trash off your beach - remember it could disappear in your lifetime, so enjoy it while you can.

19. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    That reminds me my 10 year reunion is this year. :(

20. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    It sounds like you are the one being PAID OFF to spread that filth you just spilled.