Cops Love Surfing

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rDJ, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    And yes I currently live in Iowa, thanks for blowing my cover bro!

Oh dang...Iowa? You were bobbin when you shoulda been weavin and weavin when ya should been bobbin!

2. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I DO hate on summer cops for some very specific reasons. Namely the two times that I've gotten my ass beat for no good reason. It goes way beyond surfing to me. Sure, they have a family to feed, but that by no means excuses the type of behavior they dish out on a regular basis. My guess is that the shouting crowd was merely seizing the opportunity to vent frustrations similar to my own. It's also just part of the fun. I mean, the guys obviously know what they're doing. Let 'em go! I do not and will not ever buy the idea that "well some people might get hurt, so everyone should play it safe." It's a personal decision, and govt. of any kind has no business regulating surfing, at least not in this context. So I suppose it boils down to disagreement with the mayor/city council/head-honcho lifeguard/whomever, but the whole organization bears responsibility for its decisions. Maybe it makes one feel better to say "hey, I'm just doing it to feed my family". That answer flies 99% of the time, but not always.

3. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ultimately you DO represent the law. It becomes a matter of personal integrity. I've dealt with the same head-f#$%s as a military guy. There's a LOT that I don't agree with, things that make me feel morally suspect for being a member. I can turn my head and say "I'm just doing my job", but that answer is bogus. Like it or not, I DO shoulder that burden. For a while this realization lead me to some serious depression issues, and I finally decided it's probably best to take of the uniform soon. I'd say that clearing the water is probably not a good reason to quit the force, but we can't just shrug off the consequences of what we do just to feel better. In this case, you probably would say it's best to suck it up and keep going. That's probably the best answer, in my opinion at least. So I guess I'm saying...I respect the heck out of what you do, but that would never keep me from sprinting across the street to the lineup like the guys in the video.

4. Behind The Sun

Behind The Sun Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    These kids just had to push buttons that day. Trying to fight authority. I was further south that Friday, and the lifeguards had no problem letting people in, they all hung out and kept an eye on everyone, because they get it....we want to surf.

Sunday morning, when this video was taken....there was still a hurricane going on........rain, heavy choppy surf, and strong wind gusts. Give the police a break.......there was debris everywhere, the boardwalk was torn up, sand on the street.....the storm had JUST past.
    Same thing happens when we get hit with a bad nor'easter.

Oh, and by early afternoon they gave an all clear for everyone to go on the beach and in the water.....when it was actually cleaning up and bombing.

5. surfergirlNC

surfergirlNC Member

Jul 25, 2010
    This is unreal . Those cops are assholes. I would not come out of the ocean until they left. Why did they come out? Welcome to New jersey. Did they really need 20 cops?

6. wave slider

wave slider Member

Aug 21, 2011
    clean wet and chesty

7. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I thought i was the only one on here who thought that way. Alex Jones speaks the truth.

the cops can't do that it's illegal for them to do what they did, and the camera guy better watch himself they are trying to jail some guy in illinois for 75 years just for filming the police.

8. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    njsurfer42...that's a legit question

Agreed! In the few times I have needed a cop... assault, robbery, testify in court... none to be found. The more than few times I have NOT needed a cop ...speeding, car accident, not putting money in a parking meter, too much to drink, not wearing a leash, surfing in a restricted area, surfing during restricted hours... they are all over it. So I guess they do their job most of the time ...just not the one I want them to do.

9. DelP

DelP Active Member

Sep 5, 2011
    First of all, the boardwalk is borough owned "public" property so the police are allowed to prevent people from going on it whenever the want. Secondly, the beach in that specific area is also borough owned allowing the police to prevent people from going on it whenever they want. The only area that is actually open to the public is the ocean and up to the high tide mark. Now unless they paddled from Avon it would be impossible for any surfer not to break the law trying to get to the surf. Finally, Gov. Christie declared a State of Emergency in NJ. This gave the police ability to enforce restrictions not usually granted to them, ie: preventing anyone from entering the ocean. It seems like Belmar was the only town enforcing this and we will probably never know their reason for doing so, but like it or not they were in fact allowed to do exactly what they did. Note to self - Don't Go Hunting Surf in Belmar Following A Hurricane and/or a State of Emergency.
    From Wikipedia:
    A state of emergency is a governmental declaration that may suspend some normal functions of the executive, legislative and judicial powers, alert citizens to change their normal behaviours, or order government agencies to implement emergency preparedness plans. It can also be used as a rationale for suspending rights and freedoms, even if guaranteed under the constitution. Such declarations usually come during a time of natural or man made disaster, during periods of civil unrest, or following a declaration of war or situation of international or internal armed conflict. Justitium is its equivalent in Roman law.

In some countries, the state of emergency and its effects on human rights and freedoms and governmental procedure are regulated by the constitution and/or a law that limits the powers that may be invoked. Rights and freedoms may be suspended during an emergency, for instance, freedom of movement, but not non-derogable rights.[1] In many countries it is illegal to modify the emergency law or the constitution during the emergency.

10. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    "whenever they want"

REALLY? Get a grip!...i dont care which side of this argument you come out on. Cops, judges, elected officials and others in positions of authority do not have the power to do things "whenever they want". That would be a huge abuse of power.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  11. SUPREME

SUPREME Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Well right on for them running into the water, but also right on for the cops doing their jobs. We as surfers are doing our job, and cops are doing theirs. I'd rather a cop be overprotective then underprotective, and id rather be a charger then a summer hobbyist surfer.. and unfortunatly, sometimes these things just get edgy in the mix.

Theres no right or wrong here, its just everyones doing their jobs. Surfers & cops both. Get over it.

12. sccrmic09

sccrmic09 Active Member

Apr 10, 2009
    this clown just cited wikipedia. ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20PlHx_JjEo

13. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
  14. DelP

DelP Active Member

Sep 5, 2011
    This clown cited wikipedia to back up the statements I had made so idiots like yourself (clearly) couldn't say I was talking out my a**. Whatta spanker!

15. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    i thought it was funny people actually believed i lived in iowa.

16. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    hijacking a thread