Countdown to Edouard

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by zach619, Sep 17, 2014.

1. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I know, it's not going to be an "all time" swell or anything, but after a week+ of flatness, the clock can't tick fast enough. The tide should align down here right from about 1-4pm. Got the 9'3 log and the 5'8 Disco in the truck. Ready and waiting. I really hope 2.2 @ 16 will produce something even mildly shortboardable. Hard to tell from the cams, but even at low tide, things are filling in and starting to work......

Counting down........ 3 hours. Tick Tock.

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Gonna be a long day in the office today. Not gonna get the size we got last time, but I'll be happy with some punchy 3 ft nugs. And then some purple ones after.

3. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    lotta guys in the water on not very big waves on the 7th St surf cam. Feel less bad about missing this one. Weekend looks like it has a least a lil sumpin

4. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, our forecast down here just died for the weekend. We had a little phantom swell behind this one a couple days ago, popping up in the chest high range on Sat/Sun with a little wind on it. Now, its back down to flatline status.

5. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Looks more like your average onshore, crappy windswell day here right now. Sucks, because we actually have a some places that won't close out on long period swell.

6. SI_Admin

SI_Admin Guest

I'm not surprised its slow to show this morning, as it looks like an overcall of the GFS wind model, which is kind of typical with this type of hurricane. The swell is showing on the buoys, so look for it gradually build in through the day, and most places are going to peak on Thursday morning.

7. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    What was that bump behind it that showed up over the weekend in the SE and then disappeared? Did it look like it was going to stall out at sea for a while or was there a local wind swell even behind that went away? It didn't look clean, but it was showing chest high on Sat/Sun.... ??

8. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Wind starting to look suspect up North of us. Hopefully it stays clean the next couple hours.

9. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    4ft sets ocnj. even glassed off for an hour or two..good stuff.

10. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    yup, there was fun to be had. already had 2 sessions, prob. gonna be grabbed a third here once the tide tops out & starts back down. tomorrow morning is looking golden. i love being able to make my own schedule!

11. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    So it seems my guess was correct moco looks pretty flat on all the cams. So would you cosign heading south of moco for tommorow?

12. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    It's already begun here in FL, i'm of course stuck working today, but some lucky SOB's are having fun as we speak, these are from about 12 - 1pm today I think. Nothing huge but from what i'm hearing / seeing it's about waist - chest with the occasional "bomb", lots of closeouts at certain spots, while others have really long make-able lines

http://www.gulfster.com/Daily/2014PictureGallery/091714ec/index.html

13. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    waist high in wb and the high tide is killing it

maybe later on

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  15. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    what do you think?

16. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    I think the inlet might work in the morning but it's pretty flat there and theres probably already 20 people in the water! Personally I'd say LBI will be working at some spots and crowds are usually never an issue there this time of year. But that's just my 0.02!

17. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Nice...

Don't know why that dude was hatin on FLA in that other thread.

Looks pretty nice to me.

:)

18. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    This sums it up for my sesh earlier today. Find the right spot and it was real good. Wave heights varied wildly. Also, there were these weird diagonal mound waves (hard to describe) that would pump in occasionally (almost like a big boat was cruising by, yet no boat) followed by some bombs. I figured this was some Eddie Eddy phenom. There was also some backwash at one point, which can happen with at certain tide levels with long period swell.

Very fun & looking forward to another helping in the morning...

19. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, it is filling in for sure. Chest high+ on all the sets.

I will agree now, 15 seconds is a bit much. Some dicey situations on those inside sections. But not too bad. Super fun, lots of power. Not all that big. Water is still like 87. Thunder started rolling in 20 minutes ago, so I am back on the grind. Kind of.

Guys to the north: Don't expect much and you will have fun. High tide is the call, cause the 15 seconds is racy. And if its racy down here, its gonna be thumping up there.

20. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Yes. Very strange indeed. We had quite a few current shifts and the set angle were alternating and moving a lot of water around in a strange way. We were all drifting north for like 30 minutes, then all the sudden, I look down and pretty much the rest of the lineup drifted down like 50 yards towards the Folly. They didn't even realize it, and by the rivermouth/folly some sets were wrapping in sideways almost. Like dead North.