custom single fin

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by krl0919, Jul 19, 2012.

1. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    I am in the market for a custom single fin and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to who to go to. i have a pretty good idea of who i want to make it for me however I'm open to other peoples input and opinions. I'm located in Monmouth county. thanks!

2. gallerysurfboards

gallerysurfboards Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    What kind of single fin? Retro? Modern? If you want a retro single fin Tom Mahady is your guy. I'm sure he could modernize it for you too, but he pretty much learned how to shape a Lopez lightening bolt single fin directly from the guy who use to shape them for Lopez (Bill Barnfield). Barnfield was one of the original Lightening Bolt shapers and dropped a ton of knowledge on Tom. No one can beat that education here in MonCo. I'm sure Chris Chaize could do a good one for you. I've seen a few real nice Wynn single fins as well. I could do one for you too, but honestly for a board like that I would point you towards Tom.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

3. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Bill Thrailkill was the original shaper of the lightning bolts, Bill Barnfield is a north shore shaper. but i agree Tom Mahady or Brian Wynn, depends what you looking for, Brian is a sick glasser great resin work, and Tom will work with you step by step. there are a ton of shapers here, THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  4. gallerysurfboards

gallerysurfboards Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011

Um... sorry Andrew, but Bill Barnfield did in fact shape for Lightening Bolt.

http://andreinisurfboards.com/post/11657742649/i-first-met-bill-barnfield-in-1972-when-he-moved

http://surfboardline.com/bill-barnfield/

However, I was wrong about who Tom learned to shape the bolt from. The other Bill (Thrailkill) also shaped for Lightening Bolt, before Bill Barnfield. Tom learned from Thrailkill.

5. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    touche. you learn something new everyday.