Death of ruggles/corruption in RI

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by littlerhody, Apr 2, 2013.

1. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    so RI got its hands in on the hurricane sandy relief money and proposes an 8 million dollar repair off the cliffwalk. No one doubts the importance of the cliffwalk to newport's economy however the proposed solution seems absurd to me. Maybe some of you can tell me otherwise. Instead of doing all the work on land they propose to cerate 2 jettys out in the lineup (ruining ruggles the break as we know it). There were no other bids considered here for land based work which would be way cheaper. I just walked the cliffwalk last week and the damage is nothing like NJ or NY experienced. Yes we need to pour more conrete and make repairs but 8 million dollars. give me a break. Plus the landowner on the corner of ruggles is in cahoots with the developer (classic RI corruption). He will not let anyone work off his property even for a shirt amount of time so the jetty solution is proposed now. I invite any contractor to walk the cliffwalk with me and tell me it will cost 8 million to do these repairs. It is laughable except is is truly sad to also lose such a beatiful wave as a result. RI kept all this very quiet and apprently this has been pased and is ready to begin operation. defintely moving it this thing goes through. everyone in RI knows eachother and the corrupotion here is all too obvious. I already emailed all the news stations to dig into it on their end. what does everyone think of this?

2. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    "so RI got its hands in on the hurricane sandy relief money and proposes an 8 million dollar repair off the cliffwalk. No one doubts the importance of the cliffwalk to newport's economy however the proposed solution seems absurd to me. Maybe some of you can tell me otherwise. Instead of doing all the work on land they propose to cerate 2 jettys out in the lineup (ruining ruggles the break as we know it). There were no other bids considered here for land based work which would be way cheaper. I just walked the cliffwalk last week and the damage is nothing like NJ or NY experienced. Yes we need to pour more conrete and make repairs but 8 million dollars. give me a break. Plus the landowner on the corner of ruggles is in cahoots with the developer (classic RI corruption). He will not let anyone work off his property even for a shirt amount of time so the jetty solution is proposed now. I invite any contractor to walk the cliffwalk with me and tell me it will cost 8 million to do these repairs. It is laughable except is is truly sad to also lose such a beatiful wave as a result. RI kept all this very quiet and apprently this has been pased and is ready to begin operation. defintely moving it this thing goes through. everyone in RI knows eachother and the corrupotion here is all too obvious. I already emailed all the news stations to dig into it on their end. what does everyone think of this?"

sucks ruggles is getting plowed. But anyone from new england knows that all construction and contracting work is corrupt and run between the mob, or private interests and the state. Hell theres still a section of 95 by my house in Bridgeport that they have been paving over bodies for, for the past 5 years. Don't bank on them completing this any time soon, the way the contractors up north work you can still surf it for the next 10 years before they start construction

3. RIer

RIer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    If this is truly meant to ruin the wave, this is sad and pathetic. I have never surfed Ruggles because I am a pretty crappy surfer and I have too much respect for the people who surf it well. It has been one of my personal goals to surf it one day though. I would not be surprised at all if local wealthy landowners were behind this to eliminate the presence of surfers from their estates. We all know how RI works. I would imagine that angry surfers would not even register as a concern for the people behind this. Maybe the best that can be hoped for is that jetties would create new breaks.

4. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    jettys will screw everything up. backwash and just breaking up a clean swell in general. Its not a beach break. if they stuck that out at narragansett I would be pumped but more importantly the project stinks of corruption. these repairs can happen easily via land. no other quotes considered. Channel 12 looking into it. i hope they find something juicy.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This is rididulous. Popped up in my fb newsfeed over the weekend, couldn't believe it when I saw it. What else can we do aside from signing the petition? Not asking rhetorically, serious question, b/c the opposition doesn't seem too organized.

6. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    an equivalent thing happened to skateboarding with the death of the brooklyn banks in nyc a few years back. The city needed to repair the bridge so they stored their construction equipment in the banks for 10 years. it effectively ruined the skatespot, but the skaters complained and got 2 brand new multimillion dollar skateparks (chelsea piers and maloof in flushing) Hell if a buncha grimy skaters can take on the fascist police state of NYC then maybe a buncha scraggly surfers can make some noise at their local town hall meetings in R.I. I guess it depends to what extent your willing to go to if you want to preserve your wave.

7. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Ugh. Most of the work I did a couple of years ago were construction projects up in the Northeast, and it was always a pain. Had to go through hoops and lots of red tape to get anything done efficiently, esp. in New York.

8. littlerhody

Jan 16, 2009
    i emailed the news stations so hopefully they dig into it. I do not understand why they cant get a few bids to do the work land based. would be way cheaper and not impact the waters as much. problem is it is considered an emergency which is bs (I walked the cliffwalk last week). people are still walking it. there are a few areas that need repair but I am sure NJ and NY need the money way more than we need two jettys.

9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Do it. I did many pier projects in the Northeast and there are lots of Environmental hurdles anytime we needed to do anything in the water. The contractor should be aware if they are even able to obtain an environmental permit for what they are proposing (constructing jetties). I don't see it happening, but who knows, maybe the environmental folks are also on their payroll lol

10. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Contact your local Surfrider Chapter ASAP. This is part of what they do, help protect our beloved surfing resources.

11. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    its good to see some people know what theyr talking about.swellinfo nailed it on the head,contact surfrider.i dont live in ri,but i do know the cons of jetty systems.all we have here in the northeast are beachbreaks,sandbars.when they take out the sandbars,kiss your local waves goodbye.i see some kids think jettys make surf better,thats not true.sometimes the only wave u can surf here is near a jetty.thats because sands built up around it.but jettys also cause beach erosion.the ocean fixes itself.when u have long jettys blocking the natural currents,it destroys any sandbar that remains.i surf a spot with no jettys,and it seems like its the only spot with a sandbar.but after sandy rearanged the sea floor,sandbars are everywhere.but dont expect them to last.once they start digging out the shorebreak,all we are left with is a steep drop off and pounding shorebreak.i hope you guys in ri can stop this

12. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    take a deep breath and calm down. the beauty of bureaucratic systems is that you can use them to your benefit if you do your homework. for a project like this there has got to be a million regs and the obligatory public hearings. Get organized and then figure out ways to slow or stop this project from moving forward.

13. gorton33

gorton33 Member

Jan 21, 2010
    https://www.facebook.com/jcmcguirl/posts/10151827175391959
    Contact our local representatives, I got the information from this facebook post,
    Coastal Resources Management Council
    Grover Fugate
    gfugate@crmc.ri.gov
    Stedman Government Center - Suite 116
    4808 Tower Hill Road
    Wakefield, RI 02879-1900

City Council:
    mcamacho@cityofnewport.com
    kleonard@cityofnewport.com
    jmclaughlin@cityofnewport.com
    hwinthrop@cityofnewport.com
    jnapolitano@cityofnewport.com
    nneville@cityofnewport.com
    mfarley@cityofnewport.com
    43 Broadway Newport RI 02840

Department of Transportation
    Peter Healey (c/o)
    cstmartin@dot.ri.gov
    Department of Transportation
    2 Capitol Hill
    Providence, RI 02903

State Senators
    sen-dipalma@rilin.state.ri.us
    sen-paivaweed@rilin.state.ri.us
    Room 323
    State House
    Providence, RI 02903

State Representitives
    rep-abney@rilin.state.ri.us
    rep-martin@rilin.state.ri.us
    Room 317
    State House
    Providence, RI 02903

Rep David Ciciline
    DC Office Phone: 202-225-4911
    RI Office Phone: 401-729-5600
    https://cicilline.house.gov/contact-me/email-me

Sen Sheldon Whitehouse
    DC Office Phone: 202-224-2921
    RI Office Phone: 401-453-5294
    http://www.whitehouse.senate.gov/contact/

Rep Peter Martin [State Assembly]
    Phone: 401-924-2402
    http://www.stacyhouse.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/peter.martin.90260

Mayor Harry Winthrop
    Office401) 845-5436
    rsciola@cityofnewport.com

City Manager Jane Howington
    Office: (401) 845-5429
    citymanager@cityofnewport.com

Planning Department
    Office: (401) 845-5473
    mbarker@cityofnewport.com

14. wabah

wabah New Member

Apr 2, 2013
    We need everyone's help...I can't express in words how important this one spot is so vital to our entire surf culture here on Aquidneck Island.

15. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    '

keep contact local though. if the reps see most of the emails coming from outside the area they will chalk it up to 'out of state agitators' and ignore your issue. Look a that Beater fight last year in OCMD as a good example. The locals stood up and worked with the govt to craft a good compromise.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  16. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    seriously what micah said. contact your local surfrider chapter and get them informed and involved. They have been saving breaks for years.

17. bungalowparkbob

bungalowparkbob Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I certainly hope the proposed construction can be prevented. Quite ironic that the wave in question is "guarded" by some miserable locals that make a point to be unfriendly to any outsiders that pay a visit.

Let's see it boys! How bout focusing a bit of that energy into a show of solidarity/sense for a good cause?!

18. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Our complaining did not get us those two skateparks that had nothing to do with the banks. We do not know the state of the banks until they reopen. Never will another skatepark match up to the brooklyn banks.

19. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Weds 4/10 at 6:30 newport city council meeting...info on surfrider R.I. chapter facebook page.