Debby???

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by inkdink, Jun 23, 2012.

1. inkdink

inkdink Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    OK, what is up with the storm track? it looks like its going west into texas but then the swell maps are totally different and showing it tracks its way up along the coast? the forecast is still calling for it to give us waves for NC, but the storm track says its going into texas.... whats going on? is something else going to be giving us waves? any info would help a lot! thanks guys!

2. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    debby is gonna stall in the gulf for a day or two and depends on what steering system has more clout. there is the high in texas that they are thinkin will suk it that way as opposed to pushing it eastward, still too early to tell, but i think it will jog over the panhandle of FL and scoot up east. We will see.

3. havanasand

havanasand Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Going to Myrtle Beach to see family (insert applause here) and looking at the Mon/Tues wave model, thinking the same thing. It looks to be a south windswell fetch from the broading area of low pressure in the gulf. Not intense but a big low.

4. GreenFlash35

GreenFlash35 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
  5. havanasand

havanasand Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Well, the current model still has the trough pushing LP east and into the SE swell window. I'll need to get the crystal ball out of the closet to figure this one out.

6. bmore surf

bmore surf Well-Known Member

May 20, 2006
    any pix of the gulf swell? I wish to grab a flight down and catch some tasty waves. if I only could

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  7. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Forecast models are very split on Debby right now... NHC is calling for it to head west.
    Looks like fun, if you are in the Gulf.

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Just checked. The computer models are split but the ensemble is showing a stronger tendency to turn and cross North Fl.

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah....models are split. One of the problems with weather maps that show 72, 96, or 120 hour storm locations is that they have to show it SOMEWHERE, even when the models are all over the place so the actual likelyhood of it being anywhere near that forecast location is low. Then the swell models build off of that (in this case relatively unreliable) forecast.

So it is going to be in the Atlantic 96 hours from now or inland near Louisiana, Texas? The models are all over the place.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. fishnotphish

fishnotphish Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    So you're saying that there is a good chance that this 7ft @ 7 sec swell in jax is probably not going to happen? shouldn't we have a better idea since it's less than 24 hrs away? I'm driving there for tomorrows swell looking to score. good news would be most excellent right about now. thanks to anyone who helps point me towards the swell. i guess my question is when is the earliest we will know what and when its doing?

11. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Naaaaah.....She's going NE!! I'm due for a sweet session! Even if I have to call in sick.........

12. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Not a very long drive to the West Coast from there....

13. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Hey the enhanced infrared animation wont work on swellinfo. Anyways, i think shes headed east. Look at this sat loop.

http://sipreal.com/sipreal/satellite-fr-8km.html

There is definitely west to east movement there. I think her best bet would be to head east anyways. Look at the ammount of wind shear directly to her west.

[​IMG]

30 mph on a weak storm would shear it to pieces

The only thing steering it to the west would be that giant High.

[​IMG]

14. surfbum

surfbum Member

Oct 1, 2011
    All I know is that we are getting killer swell over here right now. Waves started Friday morn and its been building since. I went out yesterday morning before work for bout 1.5 hrs an then again after work for a nice 2.5 hr sess. Already went out earlier today before work, went to work an we ended up closing for the day so Im headed back out now.

As long as she sits out there, we will have great waves here. Thank you Debby!!

15. SurfNole

SurfNole New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Anyone in PCB today? Heard it was going off. Who knows about surfing cape san blas?

16. fishnotphish

Oct 11, 2011
    Good to know thanks for the info. Looks like i might check st. augie tomorrow.

17. fishnotphish

Oct 11, 2011
    giant High.

thanks for the info...concerning the swell...the swell info. headed to the Florida after i finish this egg roll.
    woop!

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    now its next week?

Is it just me or lately has it seemed like theres frequently something like this out on 180-hour-out map, but it never seems to get any nearer?

[​IMG]

19. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
  20. mickey1982va

mickey1982va Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Looks like Frisco, NC is gonna be rockin tomorrow with waves !