Delaware is h e a v y

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by MFCondor, Nov 30, 2013.

1. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    SO, I had a relatively new (6 weeks) firewire spitfire. Broke it in half in Delaware last Wednesday. Big, thick, and overly crowded. I picked up a new firewire yesterday. thats a lot of money on surfboards in 6 weeks. either way, Delaware can and will hand a surfer their rear end on a platter stuffed with sand. uggh.

I see why everyone here lays down on the foam things. Just moved here from NC so it is way different.

2. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Hold up now, I don't lay down on those foam things, but that's how I started, so I guess you got a point.

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    If you think it's heavy down there- you should take a trip up to belmar,nj

4. Ootaa

Ootaa New Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Maybe you should stop buying popouts. Boom out of Dewey makes insane boards that rarely break... Plus he's local.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm originally from NJ live on Delvarva now and can say without a doubt Belmar is not heavy compared to Delaware or OCMD.

6. Koki Barrels

Aug 14, 2008
    Thank you, Zippy...

7. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I hear NJShredmachine wants to snap your neck for going on with this bs... good luck.

8. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    people often forget that any board can & will break in the right (or wrong) circumstances. it doesn't have to be a heaving, slab-like sandbar, DOH blacks, or some other cliche. i watched a guy snap an 2 3/4" thick eps board on a mellow shoulder high day simply b/c he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. as forest gump said, "it happens".

9. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Delaware's overly crowded? First Rhode Island and now Delaware?

North Carolina has heavy waves, too, bru. I'm not sure, but I think I've heard Dare County is, like, the heaviest thang going. That's what the media says.......

Surfboards are foam things, too. They're pieces of foam that's glassed. Long pieces of foam, that people stand on. Wow, now that's heavy.

Jersey, Dare County, OCMD, Delaware - they all get heavy. Belmar vs Delaware. The battles begins. One town against a whole state. Can Belmar withstand. I'd take Delaware, but I don't like North Jersey to begin with.......

10. Dyldo

Dyldo Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Honestly I hate Belmar with a passion but my mom lives right on ocean ave and i was visiting her a couple weeks ago and ever since Sandy and all the sand movement, if you get it at the right tide Belmar does get pretty heavy. I've never surfed Delaware but i have OCMD. The swell wasn't anything special so it didn't get heavy that day

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    It gets heavier than Belmar at a few other spots not too far away. Waaaay heavier....

12. Dyldo

Dyldo Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Yeah exactly. Monmouth county PUMPS. You just gotta know where to go. Belmar is terrible compared to surrounding areas 9 times out of 10

13. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    I can't stand reading your posts unless you use the word "aboot" at least once.... come on now Paddington!

14. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    I'm in no way saying that my board is faulty. Anyone who surfs in Delaware knows its heavy and close to the beach. I was surfing pretty close to the sand. I also didn't realize there was a local shaper in Dewey. knew there was one in Millville but saw no shapes that I particularly liked.

Jersey...I need to leave that one alone. I have seen some great pics of awesome waves there.

One good thing about Delaware is when your not breaking boards, you're getting shacked!!!!

15. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
  16. Koki Barrels

Aug 14, 2008

Hey, there are shapers in the area...check out

MGarbutt ----> https://www.facebook.com/liquidboardshop/posts/287705924612452

And Mike Hague -----> http://www.manta.com/c/mtml714/hague-surfboards

17. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey guy! Guys! I hate to say it... Maybe I shouldn't and just let this keep on going- ok ... I'm not going to say anything- I don't want to ruin it...

Anyways- Just for the record- belmar nj rocks - only place around that can hold a 23ft wave plus you can go do some bench offs across the street at DJs.

If you really want to know about the best spot around- just ask Seldom- he willtell you!

18. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    23' wave in Jersey? Thats a new one,

19. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    WTF Bro??? why would you name DJais???? that's my favorite spot to have bench offs before and after a few 23 footers!!!