Delaware Surfing Accidents this summer

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Swellinfo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. turtile

turtile Member

Aug 29, 2010
    It's a combination of the beach replenishment and the waves this year. We've had more big days than normal in June and the sand is a good 5-8ft higher. If we get an offshore hurricane, the hospital is going to have a flood of injuries coming in. All of the waves have been choppy so they've been breaking further out.

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006

3. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    That's funny..Has anyone every been to Acapulco? The shore pound in the bay is pretty heavy. I remember seeing some drunk chick get sucked out after being clobbered who almost drowned. no bueno

4. dreadhead

dreadhead Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Cowan suggests that people who believe the replenishment is the only factor make some true statements, but we have no argument as to why injuries aren't the same everyday. Its obviously because the swell is different everyday. Of course, if the water is warmer more people will get in, thats a no brainer. But when the water is warm, and the sun is shining, and tourists are at the beach, and there happens to be a wave, it will inevitably break on the shore causing injuries where replenishment has taken place. As for the days there aren't as many injuries, have you checked the weather, cowan?

And I'll take some of that fire reef. Slabs > shore break anyday

5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    It's pretty ironic that this thread was just posted. I was coming here to post a thread titled "Bethany Shorebreak Sucks" and to relate my experience from this past week. We did our family vacation in Bethany after having gone to the OBX for the previous 10 years. The waves were small all week, 1 to 2 feet with maybe, MAYBE a 3 foot "set wave" every so often. I think it was Wednesday, it was fairly clean in the morning, so I decided I had to get some water time regardless of the size and the quality of the breaking wave. I paddled out on my body board (no Hard Slick here. I've been doing this on and off for the better part of 25 years now) and the second wave I took slammed me hard, right on to my left shoulder. The rocky sand actually drew blood. I have never bled from a wave before. To get slammed onto the beach like that my a 2 foot wave was just incredulous to me. It's no wonder that inexperienced swimmers and boogie boarders are getting their necks broken. That wave just sucks. With no sand bar and that steep drop off, it's a miracle that there are more people maimed and killed every week.

After that second wave, I was just more careful and cognizant at the end of each wave (which came pretty quickly). I got a few little cover ups and hit a few tricks in 2.5 hours. Had fun, but having to pay attention to when the dry sand was coming was a real buzz kill. Here's to hoping a good hurricane swell comes along and rearranges things for the local guys.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Outside of us surfers and the safety concerns, I think the entertainment value of waves for tourists are pretty high, and I think that having waves that break off the coast a bit is more fun for everyone...

It would be really nice to see the engineers/towns really bring the variable of an offshore sandbar/reef in the equation.

I know some ocean engineers, I'll have to pose the question to them and see what they think.

7. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    they do way too much beach replenishment in jersey,and i have seen too many spots go to ****.i never really knew what replenishment meant,all i know is they pump more sand onto the beach and usually destroys any waves.i went out a few weeks ago when we had a little 3ft swell,and it was dumping in literally a foot of water,at high tide(couldv been the problem),so i just bodysurfed that day.point is,the waves need good outside sandbars to keep people from getting drilled into the sand.

8. OCLocal1219

OCLocal1219 Member

Aug 6, 2012
    You all have to take into consideration what he is gathering his information from. I live in Bethany Beach and Dr. Cowan is getting the lifeguards (or at Rehoboth, the 1st aid guys) to measure the slope of the beach at low tide, and the number of swimmers in the water. As he said in his article, it is like a light switch.....once minute we will have no calls, then all the sudden we have 5 traumatic injury at the same time.

As far as the beach replenishment goes....yes, it does suck that they screw the swell up when they do it, but if we didn't have a beach then some of us wouldn't have a job....which then I guess we could live off Obama Care or his 99 weeks of unemployement......

It has got to the point now where it's not even worth driving anywhere to find a swell because when you do, there is 1,000 people in the line up and there all being wave hogs.....kids now a days have got worse then when I grew up.....it use to be about enjoying the ocean and riding a wave, no matter how many people were on it....and you would pull back and let someone else get a wave.....and now, the "younger" generation wants to get into a paddle battle with you on every wave....only place I enjoy going anymore is Assateague with the log and riding like the old timers.....you actually get respect out there.

9. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    To many people watching the spongers drop in at the Wedge on Youtube. They just dont realize the power even a small shorebreak has.

10. parippa

parippa Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    1. Its hot as nuts this summer, the ocean water was unusually warm early and more people are going to their local beach instead of big vacations.
    2. Yes, the waves have been a bit more powerful than usual summertime surf.
    3. People these days are huge pansies looking for sympathy and free money.

11. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    screw obomney care!!!better look for a better job if ya voting for romney because the middle class tax hikes are coming!!obama/romney virtually the same thing,except one is black,and the other.........

12. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    the problem is that nowadays, people don't know how to think for themselves, so unless there's a "study" by doctors and scientists, there is no real explanation so it must be some sort of freak phenomenon!

anyone with half a brain and the ability to think logically can look and see that pushing the beach out deeper into the ocean is going to a create a dropoff, thus forcing the waves to break directly into the sand rather than onto a sandbar. instead, the people writing these articles just think "hurr durr people tell da stories but dere aren't any science to prove dem!". it really pisses me off that it's become so obvious as to why there are so many injuries (all of them being on replenished beaches) yet no one will do anything about it because there aren't any studies proving it!

the lifeguard officials where i am warned that replenishing brant beach would create a cluster**** of injuries, but nevertheless, at the start of the summer everyone walked up to the beach to find a giant desert of sand dropping off into 12 feet of water. LBTBP actually only has experienced lifeguards and those who are also trained EMTs stationed on the beaches there because they know it's the most dangerous place for tourists to swim.

i recently read in a local paper, that from the right vantage point you can see brant beach is now basically empty, while the beaches in ship bottom (which hasn't been replenished) are full because everyone's going there instead...

13. yourdirtymomma

yourdirtymomma Well-Known Member

May 2, 2012