Different name, more of the same..

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Caroline Campbell, Dec 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Caroline Campbell

Caroline Campbell Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2014
    "World Surf League" announces 2015 schedule

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/world-surf-league-announces-2015-schedule_120785/?slintcid=SL-SOCIAL&slcmpname=SURFLINE-SOCIAL

2015 Men’s WSL Championship Tour
    Event 1: Quiksilver Pro, Gold Coast, Australia, Feb 28 – Mar 11
    Event 2: Rip Curl Pro, Bells Beach, Australia, Apr 1-12
    Event 3: Drug Aware Pro, Margaret River, Australia, Apr 15-26
    Event 4: Rio Pro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 11-22
    Event 5: Fiji Pro, Tavarua / Nomotu, Fiji, Jun 7-19
    Event 6: J-Bay Open, Jeffrey’s Bay, South Africa, Jul 8-19
    Event 7: Billabong Pro, Teahupoo, Tahiti, Aug 14-25
    Event 8: Hurley Pro, Trestles, California, USA, Sept 9-20
    Event 9: Quiksilver Pro, Landes, France, Oct 6-17
    Event 10: Moche Rip Curl Pro, Peniche, Portugal, Oct 20-31
    Event 11: Billabong Pipe Masters, Oahu, Hawaii, Dec 8-20

2015 Women’s WSL Championship Tour
    Event 1: Roxy Pro, Gold Coast, Australia, Feb 28 – Mar 11
    Event 2: Rip Curl Pro, Bells Beach, Australia, Apr 1-12
    Event 3: Drug Aware Pro, Margaret River, Australia, Apr 15-26
    Event 4: Rio Pro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 11-22
    Event 5: Fiji Pro, Tavarua / Nomotu, Fiji, May 31 – Jun 5
    Event 6: Trestles Pro, Trestles, California, USA, Sept 9-20
    Event 7: Cascais Pro, Cascais, Portugal, Sep 29 – Oct 4
    Event 8: Roxy Pro, Landes, France, Oct 6-17
    Event 9: Maui Pro, Honolua Bay, Maui, Hawaii, Nov 22 – Dec 6

US Open for the Women's Tour got dropped but everything else is still the same...disappointed? Should they swap out some events for new spots?

2. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    The new name sounds kooky. They couldn't just stick with the ASP? I could do without the Rio event.

3. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i think the women should finish their season on the north shore, just like the men. no reason they can't be surfing pipe.

us open is no big loss...should be dropped from the men's schedule as well, but it's too much of a crowd draw/money maker for that to ever happen.

rio is pretty much ****, but won't be dropped for the same reason the us open stays...too big a market to walk away from.

edit: actually, come to think on it a bit more, the women's & men's tour should be identical. no reason not to be.

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    What abooot the Kasser's Belmar Pro?

5. Caroline Campbell

Sep 19, 2014
    Agreed^ I know that for the women's tour the Maui Pro has a history but this year to me personally was a bore to watch, especially as the final stop. Just felt like none of them really got to showcase their skill because of the waves except for that one ride Courtney Conlogue got. Maybe this year was a bit of a dud but Pipe would be incredible!

I wish they would put another event on the EC.. I went to the Quik Pro in NY a few years ago & talk about crowd draw/money maker! Every time I was in the store at the event some rich business man (who clearly had no idea what this event even was) would be buying the place out for his niece or nephews.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Classic, well done

7. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    I think the men's and women's schedule should be the same too. The problem is, who paddles out when it's firing? Women or men?

8. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    they could plug the november gap w/ an event here...i'd love to see these guys surf in properly cold water in a contest setting! i can practically hear the commentary...

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Men of course, that's a given

10. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Totally. Cold water surfing should be a big part of competition. Let's start agitating for it.

11. Caroline Campbell

Sep 19, 2014
    +1 for Njsurfer42 and Betty

Cold water surfing is a skill of it's own & I'd like to see the worlds best geared up surfing in our conditions !! :D

12. mlbdriver

mlbdriver New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    The new name is LAME!!!

13. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    That was an amazing event. The pro tour used to (were talking a while back) have an east coast (usually Jersey, Maryland, North Carolina and Florida) event every year and the problem was they always were in the summer and it was just so mushy and small most years. Watching guys the size of MR or Kong trying to do their thing in waist high inlet surf was pathetic and embarrassing.

NJ Surfer is right that with a two week waiting period in say November they could get some mid atlantic spot with different wind options to produce contestable surf most years. My guess is it wouldn't take long for it to become a solid laughing stock of the tour when they had to run in it 45 degree rain and chest high mis-shapen windswell.

14. OldSoul

OldSoul Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Lol imagine all the pros used to there warm water/air & perfect waves in 5/4's boots and gloves chasing peaks... deff would be refreshing... the crowds would still show. Although this could prompt more peeps to brave the winter and make the lineups worse. Hmm

15. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    US Open isn't on the Men's Schedule.. It's a QS event isn't it?

16. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Bring back the Allentown, PA wave pool, wtf, who is running this circus. :mad:

17. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    having an east coast event would require a 6 week waiting period to get a swell over head high

have it in certain point in Oregon, let them dodge methed up lumberjacks in perfect lefthanders

that is if you want a coldwater event

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  18. Special Whale Glue

Oct 8, 2011
    That's what they've done in the past, but is it fair for the women to get the scraps of a lack luster tide, or wind? I feel bad for the ladies when I see that.

A cold water event would be great, like 5 mil, boots, gloves, and hoods. The pros would have to embrace one of the extremes in surfing they tipically avoid. Less people would show up to watch in person though.

19. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    you feel bad for women getting paid to surf?

how do you feel about the working poor?

20. Caroline Campbell

Sep 19, 2014
    That's exactly what happened in Maui, they were all ready to surf but the waves were just inconsistent all day :(