Does anyone sometimes think New Jersey is overrated?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by RIsurfer, Apr 22, 2013.

1. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I do agree with you there. Most people don't realize that was what the civil war was really about.

2. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    My son can beat up your honor student

3. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    said there is truth behind em, but i dont live by em. i don't think youll find as many white supremacists in North Carolina as you would think, gotta go deeper for that. although my community does have a reeeeeall ****ed up history. only successful insurrection of a local government that ever happend in US history happened here. As far as having friends at pipe, nah i dont. But to think that i have friends a few hours north at obx is not farfetched. Its fine tho man, i don't need to prove **** to you or have an internet pissing contest. hopefully ill see you out in the water and we can let our surfing do the talking!

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Ha! Classic!

5. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    I was just having fun and pointing out things that you don't know anything about in other areas. Stereotyping is a dangerous thing. I'm sometimes guilty of it when I think all people from NY are like Snooki and the Jersey Shore just because they are from NY. They come and leave trash in my town but not all of them are like that.

People that live year round in the shore communities in my state are nothing like the stereotypes on National TV. We respect each other and give respect to others who show respect. You start getting angry when you see people from other areas trash your town every Summer. It causes stereotypes about the tourists because many of them show no respect but it's not true for all of them.

We are used to all the bashing about NJ now based on stereotypes. People believe what they see on MTV and when they drive one highway in the state. Just like how some people up north think people in the south have no teeth and can't read. It doesn't make it applies to everyone. That was the only point I was trying to make.

As you say, maybe I will see you in the water where no words are needed. We let our surfing do the talking. We can shoot the pier too!

6. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    hahah word. i ussually stop off in either delmarve, vb, or Barnegat light on my way up the coast to NE depending on whats breaking best. next time i do ill pm you

7. im way better than you

im way better than you Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Yes friend being a "local pro" makes your a loser. All of them suck, and if they lived in Socal ( and you should know this) they would be nobodys. Go to blacks on a good day and 90% of the guys out there are better than them, but they have real jobs and surf as a hobby. Those NJ guys a regular sized fish in the puddle that is NJ. the east coast sucks in general, and aside from Kelly everyone from here sucks too (in comparison)

8. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    all i know about westcoasters, is they have better waves. but when they come here, they don't even know how to paddle into ours. and ***** and moan about how the east coast is flat.

9. NJAZguy

NJAZguy Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Oh yeah I wasn't even trying to imply the towns only rely on the tourism dollars. I just meant that the money is part of the annual budgets and some politicians have made the argument that without beach fees the sky would fall. When its part of the budget it means you're counting on it. That's all I meant. I'm on the same page as you.

10. bennysgohome

Nov 13, 2009
    Sounds good.

11. rvb

rvb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
  12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Wow- whats up with the attitude??? ok bro... i guess you live there or something?

for the record I have surfed there plenty of times and caught perfect overhead waves at a certain cobble stone reef point in CT. Im not going to say where - to protect the locals, BUT the waves where better and they have more potental then your avarage jersey sandbar, or JENKS for that matter (if thats what your referring too). Anyone could find the spot if they researched and looked on a map.... plus when you meet the locals- they are actually cool! not know it alls....

maybe i do like to paddle board and fish... so what?

13. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I know how to read my local buoy. You are the one that wanted to compare buoy data for SE versus NJ. Seems silly, since buoys are in different locations and mean different things for different areas.

"You can also easily look at the forecast and see how the buoy data converts into wave height at your break right on this site."

What forecast? Swellinfo Forecast? Cause that is often inaccurate. The only way to make a real comparison is to track daily surf reports, as we do locally, and compare to buoy data. Even then, the buoy data won't line up some of the time.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  14. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Hatteras is the most consistent surf on the east coast.They have the best beachbreaks,some piers,jetties,inlets,southside,etc.. NJ is #2 in consistent quality/size surf,plus we have jetties,inlets,coves,piers,so,in any swell you can totally score,from The Cove,CM,OC,AC,LBI,IBSP,The Pier(RIP),Bay Head,Jenks,The Inlet, and all the jetties/inlet up to the cove at The Hook,plus all the beachbreaks,and no way does Hatteras have those options for every swell like us.it's more pumping than anywhere south except Hatteras,and much warmer/doable than farther north.so there.

15. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    pretty much sums it up

16. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    First of all, I'm sadden by the Jersey boys defense of their state. Not good t'all.

Secondly, to those who think RI is more consistent than NJ, I have an assignment for you. Go look at a map. Look at NJ and how exposed it is to the Atlantic. Then look at Rhode Island. Do you see the differences? Do y'all see that. Rhode Island shines on hurricane swells.

Listen people, Florida is warm and it has waves. Yeah New Symrna has a rideable mushburger practically daily. OK
    South Carolina is so-so. I'm not bagging on it. I'd go surf it, but.............Oh I'd love to catch a day on one of them uninhabited islands in Georgia.

SNC is a bit above so-so. Again I'm not bagging. It's just the way it is.

The Outer Banks is a spiritual place full of decent waves and psychoactive substances. It is the last bastion of the free spirit in the east coast. Yes, From Pea Island to Avon, you will typically find the most consistent and powerful east coast surf.

Virginia Beach........Notice how all VA Beach dudes list the OB as their surf spot. Enough said.

MD/Delaware........good. Cool unnoticed area, especially Dellyware. Dela who? Dela What ? Delaware !!

Jersey......THE SECOND most consistent spot in the east(especially LBI to Squan) Has the most variety. Can crunch you like any S-Turn bowl. Can mush you to tears. Angry people because we're all strung out.

NY....sure. That's all. RI - has points, needs swell. Mass, Big swell opens North and South shore Boston area beachies and points. Cape Cod, yeah sure. New Hammy - ALL HECKS YEAH. Maine.....hey get a boat and go explore Northern Maine.

17. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    ok.... i take back my last comment after reading the last 10 pages...

18. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    RI is exposed to SW swell that jersey isn't. That's the majority of swell in the summertime. It juts out into the Atlantic. Frontal systems with sw winds. Also, RI breaks face different direction so it can handle different winds, unless Jersey, which faces one direciton.

RI is more than just point breaks. Lots of beach breaks.

19. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Dude, RI doesn't "jut" out into the ocean. The ocean juts into Rhode Island.

Jersey gets SW wind swells, too. Most of South Jersey faces South/Southeast. Yeah, RI has beach breaks but it's known for it's points.

But anyways, are you stating that RI is more consistent than Jersey? Because it most certainly is not. Actually RI is the least consistent state in the mid-Atlantic and North East.

I'm not bagging on RI, dude. Let me just make that point. "The Dock" is an interesting spot. Sid Abruzzi's delusions of granduer are also interesting.