Don't believe in God? How bout S-C-I-E-N-C-E?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, May 17, 2021.

1. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
  2. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I believe snake oil salesmen really do exist. Given how infinitesimal the odds are of being attacked by a shark either with or without a shark repellant we will never know if they really work. If it makes you feel better though to wear one go ahead and knock yourself out.

World B Free and headhigh like this.

3. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Pretty sure some dude in Australia got bit while wearing Shark Banz a few years back, during that year when it seemed like everyone was getting bit. Think there's even a post or 3 on one of the shark threads here IIRC.

So, that particular science needs to up its game.

Seems like sharks are the only deterrent left for people that are on the fence about learning how to surf. Hopefully the science will continue to lag.

Kyle likes this.
  4. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Technology works best on the species that are a low threat to attacks on humans.

World B Free likes this.
  5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    A few strategically located shark scares or god forbid attacks might help to offset the covid crowds.

6. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I used to do a lot of shark fishing. One of the boats I used to fish carried a device on board called a Mako Magnet. It was supposed to attract sharks using electrical and sound pulses. Never seemed to make a difference. Always reminded me of something the owner of the tackle store I worked in years ago told me......."We're in the business of catching fishermen". Same goes for shark repellants. They are in the business of catching people who have a fear of sharks.

World B Free, Manik and headhigh like this.
  7. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This captures my opinion pretty well.

To make myself feel better about sealife coming to check me out, I don't have any "yum yum yellow", basically neon yellow, gear, boards, etc. I mean, this is literally the color of fishing gear.

I remember one summer when there were a handful of shark attacks in NC I painted one of my boards with black and white stripes like a lionfish. I didn't get bit so it must have worked, right?

antoine, World B Free, Manik and 2 others like this.
  8. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Great recent vid on the national news of how close sharks are to people that have no clue, footage was from drones showing some big guys in the grey suit right next to swimmers in the shallows, all the footage was from California. Obviously the southeast gets its share of encounters. My kid loves a youtube channel called dude perfect, basically all trick shots. They were surf casting at night in Florida, and getting shark after shark.
    Reminded me of when my brother in law visited me out on Nantucket many years ago. He was from the Midwest an a avid fresh water fisherman, never did saltwater. Big, tough mofo, I'll never forget how he was scared to put an eel on a hook. Kept asking me to do it,lol. He caught so many sharks in 3 days, all around swimmers, ect… Biggest was about 7 ft., it thrashed coming in and he freaked and cut the line.. he always thanked me after that, the fishing stories he got to tell his buds back in Illinois, much better than that Sturgean or Salmon that got away.

antoine and headhigh like this.
  9. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    You guys remember the footage where Mick Fanning got bumped by that shark at J-bay? I know it was on the other side of the globe, at a notoriously sharky spot, but that s*** freaked me out. For weeks afterwards I was seeing way more shapes the water than normal.

I think it was seeing a surfer just sitting there like I do and out of nowhere your worst f***ing fear plays out in real time. I must have watched it 100 times. I normally can put the shark fear out of my mind, but seeing that video really shook me up.

Even Mick admitted that his Yum Yum Yellow board may have had something to do with it. All his gear and boards are blue now.

antoine and UnfurleD like this.
  10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Last fall I got shots of two large sharks (pretty sure they were whites) eating what appears to be a dead dolphin outside the lineup at 5th street in Ocean City. Saw the thrashing and snapped a few frames and then forgot about it until I was going through the shots on my computer. You see the two shark fins and what looks like an upside down dolphin.

Capture.JPG

antoine likes this.
  11. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    I drink tap water. A nice tall glass before surfing. All that mixture of metals including lead throws sharks' senses off. Thanks, Science

12. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Make sure to drink plenty of the water in CB. Lot's of science coming down the Cape Fear River from the Teflon plant

UnfurleD likes this.
  13. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Looking at that fin I agree - high probability that is a great white.
    I've seen them off MD.

14. Lefty

Lefty Well-Known Member

May 8, 2020
  15. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  16. 666Face

666Face Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2020
  17. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member