Double Overhead?

Discussion in 'Central America' started by cfleming85, May 17, 2010.

1. cfleming85

cfleming85 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Hey Everyone,

I'm traveling to the Playa Hermosa on 5/23 for a week. The southern hemi looks ridiculous for that timeframe right now, some spots calling for double overhead surf. Me and my buddies are good surfers, but that size at 16 seconds is a bit much. Plus it doesn't help that the Northeast, which is where we're from, has not seen head high waves in almost 2 months.

I've heard of places like Manuel Antonio/Playitas (to the South) and Corralillo/Puerto Caldera (to the North) being a little smaller and working well with a S, SW swell. Any ideas on good spots that may be a bit tamer than the unruly beach breaks of Jaco y Playa Hermosa? Also curious about Quepos, wasn't working last time I saw the place and I know it works best on a W, NW swell, but with the long period figured pretty much every place would be breaking.

Thanks for your input all, pura vida.

2. gbranson

gbranson New Member

May 17, 2010
    Playa Hermosa is where its at

Playa Hermosa is where its at ....and if it is too big; you can check out other breaks within 20 minute drive......La Isla, Esterillos Oeste and Central.

I would stay on schedule; head to playa hermosa and check it before diverting your plan.

3. The Butcher

The Butcher Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Its gonna be macking in hermosa this fri-sun.... Looks like u get here on sun.... Prob will be good there as the swell dies a bit.... I surf there from time to time and its def gonna be too big there fri-sun... Stay on coarse like homey said and u should be ok... There are alot of waves in that area

4. dbiz135

dbiz135 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I would kill for some double o juice right now.... this wack ass spring has left me depressed!!! I need a good thrashing just to adjust my additude lately!

5. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Dude the last thing you want to surf is a double overhead beach break. The great thing about that area is the variety of waves. I personally would drive into jaco and surf boca baranca. Its a mushburger but with that type of size it is gonna way better than anything you will ever surf back home. Check out the reefs and points, stay away from the closed out beach breaks.

6. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Ps.
    The Quepos river mouth is the dirtiest break in costa from what ive heard from the locals. Dont surf without ear plugs and a bleach bath after haha.

7. dbiz135

dbiz135 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Thats all we get on the eastcoast when it goes off! It will be flat for like 2 months then all of a sudden, a hurricane will rip thru and it will pump for like 4 days. The key is to wait til high tide so the waves can open up a bit:D

8. GaryW

GaryW New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Its GaryW from San Diego. Thanks for the tips about CR yesterday. Hederra boat trip sounds like a good suggestion. Did you get my thank you reply (wasn't sure if it went through).
    Thanks again!!