East Coast Surfing Championships - 2013

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by hawaiianson, Aug 8, 2013.

1. hawaiianson

hawaiianson Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Anyone on this site checking it out? Comments on the event, gripes, good, bad, ugly? Has this contest ever had a good swell during the event?

VA Beach
    August 19-25

2. Alectruelove

Alectruelove Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    In all of my years of going to ECSC there has been a lucky spell of waves. It will be flat for a month but then ECSC rolls through and so do the waves. It used to be way cooler when I was younger and fit it with the crowd. Its become an event for a bunch of 12 year olds it seems like. I for one can't stand a lot of people and traffic so I steer clear of the oceanfront during ECSC. I also was just at the US Open in Huntington so that pretty much **** on ECSC.

3. Bill Cosby's nephew

Bill Cosby's nephew Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    ECSC is a prime opportunity to surf the North End during off limits hours

4. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    2009 and 2010 had TS Danny and Danielle. 2011 was held literally a couple of days before Irene skirted the coast. So yes, there have been waves.

5. hawaiianson

hawaiianson Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Yea, it seems there hasn't been much going on swell wise in VA Beach, so hopefully something will stir up some waves.

6. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
  7. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    One year they cancelled because the waves were too big. but mostly no waves,. just a way to bring in revenue. but like Bills Nephew said, usually empty north end during the event.

8. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    When was that? Only time ive heard of that was at Chopes for the ASP.... And they postponed the women's world longboard championships back in 2010 at the OB pier because wave faces got upwards of 15 feet and these ladies were forced to charge. It was pretty funny. I was surfing right at the North End of the lineup before cage... I got out and watched as the swell built and they were straight pier scraping closeout monsters... felt bad for the ladies.

9. billabongmoney

billabongmoney Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I think the Sand Pumping this year has ruined the jetty and will have a negative impact on Ecsc

10. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    1st street has been completely awful as of late. ever since sandy its been really messed up. And yea somehow some way there is always something rideable during ECSC for the most part. its fun to watch the surfing when the surf is decent but the marketing aspect is what turns me off. unfortunately, thats how money is made nowadays in surfing... but it would be pretty cool to see it held down in Hatteras on a pumping hurricane swell.
    It would also be cool if they moved it up and down the East Coast everywhere. anybody have any good suggestions?

11. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    The best year was when Tom Curren won it back in the late nineties I think it was. For the most part you have the pros on the main peak. Amateurs on the second to really the thirdish peak. Warm up area is no mans land and totally sucks til you get to around 5th street. What the best thing to do that weekend is to go down south and surf Hatteras. All the pros and wannabes are up in VB and you'll have your pick of breaks with the least amount of aggroness in the water. Prime time of year to be down there as well. Last year was smoking in Rodanthe on Ecsc week and the week after.

12. chiliray

chiliray Member

Aug 6, 2013
    I try to support surfing, I like to run to stay fit so I usually show up down their and do the race and by an event t-shirt. I tell you last year we did a 8k and they didn't even have any cold water for us when we were done I tell you just lame stuff + 35 bucks just to do a out and back race. Not this year though those people are all about the money. They can keep it. I will support the steel peer classic that is a cool event.

13. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    ECSC is prime time to shot the pier...

life jackets are now mandatory for fisherman

14. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Its fun to go down and watch a bit. Always gives me some focused stoke when i get out in the water. Surfing can be considered a contest in and of itself. Always trying to get the best wave. its me and the mother ocean in harmony