experience with STRETCH?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by super fish, Aug 15, 2012.

1. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Has anyone had a board made by stretch? i was thinking about getting one and was looking for some input

2. cackedinri

cackedinri Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    rat boy rides em so you should too. never had one but friends say the epoxys are good boards.

3. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    stretch is an amazing shaper, and an amazing influence in the surfboard world.

4. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    don't know if they're popouts or not, but on realwatersports they're stupid cheap. actually a few of them are 800+ while there are others that are below 400 (and have been on sale forever)

5. PhiloSurfer

PhiloSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I have a little bit of experience in that I've owned two Stretch's.

#1 was a 6'5" Fletcher Quad... I'm very back-foot oriented and at a heavy 200lbs, I would lose hold in the tail when powering through a bottom turn or making full-speed cutbacks. This is when I learned they have good resale value. I sold the thing to a friend for the same price I bought it for!

#2 I currently own a 7'2" semi-gun that I picked up in Santa Cruz. Admittedly, I only use this thing on one or two Pacific trips per year and occasionally just for fun when the Outer Banks get into the 10' range. This board really shines in big, fast deep-water (think island reefs) surf. It gets you into the wave quickly and draws a long straight lines....

However, I get the feeling that you weren't really asking about big wave boards. My general advice is to DISREGARD the name on the board and make sure that the outline/foil/shape/fins fit your style of surfing. I note that you're from VB (me too). Since you probably surf mainly here or in the Banks, you might really dig the same kind of boards I've been into lately. Check out the Merrick Dumpster Diver, anything by Roberts, the new short & curvy Sharp Eyes (like DISCO), or the JS REVOLUTION (Dave at FREEDOM is selling these and they look pretty sick). If you're stuck on Stretch, I think that REAL Boarding in Rodanthe is carrying a healthy stock.

My $0.02 anyway, good luck!

6. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I have heard good things about them and always wanted to try one out, but I have also heard his poly boards are too thinly glassed--really light but not durable. Can't figure out why the customs are $800 but there are tons on sale for $400.

I do really like his Quad fins, though.

7. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    thanks for the info guys!