First CR trip Late Jan/Early Feb

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by headrow, Nov 25, 2012.

1. headrow

headrow Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Hey Everyone-
    My wife and I will be going to CR for the first time and I was hoping to get some info/advice. I surf, my wife does not. I'm looking for lodging with a pool that's on the beach and has a decent break out in front. I'm thinking of the Tamarindo area. We want to be around good food but don't need the 'night life'. We're looking to book end of Jan/early feb. Having a surf guide would be great since I want to have the option take day trips to the best spots, if that type of thing is available. Also need stuff for my wife to do - yoga, ziplines, rainforest tours...that type stuff. My wife needs to feel safe on the beach while I'm out surfing. Does anyone know if a place like this exists? Well only be spending about a week or so down there.

Thanks

2. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Stay in Playa Grande...perfect spot, food is great, the break is good, pool...and Tamarindo i only 15 minutes away if you two decide you want to go out one night. When i went I stayed at the RipJack Inn, it's a great place and they have excellent food, but there a couple of other places you can stay, the surf shop down there Frijolos Locos offers suite rentals. You'll have to travel for the ziplines and rainforest tours, but wherever you stay they'll be able to help you make arrangements.

It is safe down there, when you've never been there you don't know what to expect, but the Ticos are very friendly people, but like anywhere else there's always going to be some bad apples. PM me if you want anymore info. There is a great seafood place in Tamarindo on the beach, you and your wife should definitely hit it up while your down. Robert August was leaving as we were pulling in. The ceviche is the bombkilla and a natural afrodisiac..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

3. Onelove87

Onelove87 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Check out Vista Guapa surf camp, it is located in Jaco, Costa Rica in the central part of the country. Perfect setup for what you are looking for, the camp offers airline pick up and return. You have three surf sessions everyday as long as the winds and tides agree with one of the surf guides they have. For food they offer home made breakfest, and for dinner they take you to some of the local restaurants. For your wife they offer a bunch of things to do such as yoga, zip lining, and many others. Great place for a couple

4. Randy Myer

Randy Myer Member

Jul 2, 2010
    The Playa Grande/Tamarindo, advice is pretty good--especially since the wife doesn't surf--comforts of pool, food, drink, air conditioning etc.---+ surf breaks from beach to reef (Aveones),and rivermouth.

Aloha, Randy

5. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011

Keep in mind that Jan is HOT... the sand will be nearly unwalkable noon till 3ish.

Ive been to Tamarindo twice this year; zero problems what so ever, great people, great food... all around good vibe.

Stayed at WRSC, a safe secure home base and can go on different breaks with intermediate or advance groups with guides/instructors; Avellanes, Playa Negra, Little Hawaii, and 50$ or less to go to Witchs Rock or Ollies if its breaking good.

Have a great time!

6. acg116

acg116 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    grande is a good call...

also think about playa hermosa, believe there's a few decent hotels right on the beach, and the break speaks for itself. also, manuel antonio has a break (decent, certainly not cr's finest, though) on the north end, but the place is probably one of the most beautiful on the planet, good restaurants, good hotels, etc. plus you could drive to decent breaks not too far away (dominical, for example, is a 45 minute drive).

7. David

David Well-Known Member

May 24, 2006
    I was going to suggest WRSC, then saw this.

Chad, were you there the week of Sept. 8?

8. njsurf159

njsurf159 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    check out www.surfcosta.com
    Some guys from NJ that own some property down there and are really friendly/ know the area. Visited them 2 years ago and had a great time.

9. fins369

fins369 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    go to playa negra, and stay in one of the bungalows there. hotel has a pool, and the beach is beautiful. price is more than reasonable, and the restaurant at the hotel is great. plus the 3-4 small restaurants in "town" are top notch as well. you'll have the 4-5 surf options just up the beach at avellenas, the obvious gem of a wave of negra right out front, plus the option to make the 1/2 hour drive to marbella if you want. all are easy to find, and people are very friendly there if you act respectful.

stay away from jaco, its dirty. tamarindo is the same.

even though its dry season, get a 4x4 SUV. the dirt roads are in horrible shape, and you can't go more than 5-10 mph on them if you're in a car, which makes the trip to and from the airport, plus the daily surf trips to avellenas or marbella nearly impossible.

10. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    O.O ... yup!

11. JLEVY13

JLEVY13 Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Stayed at Tamarindo Daria with my gf that does not surf in August. I surfed once in Tamarindo and spent the other time paying tour guides to take me to Playa Avellanas for $60-80 bucks. The hotel has good tours other than surfing which your gf may appreciate.

12. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have stayed at the Daria twice; great location in Tamarindo, but it is not a true Costa experience. My girlfriend is pretty picky but she did enjoy Hotel Playa Negra. Negra is one of my favorite waves. If you go, bring a mask and fins because that break has tons of lobsters.

13. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    so...what are you saying? bust out the snares and feed all the langosta to our picky picky girlfriends? aren't you the same conservation-minded, data-citing fellow who wants the obx closed to all orvs? but - somehow in your version of reality - it's ok if rich gringos go down to cr and catch and eat their lobsters? whadaya think would happen if a bunch of ticos showed up in Puerto Nuevo, Maine and started harvesting? :confused:

14. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Jaco is sketch. I wouldn't bother with that place. So many other areas to go that are much nicer. Playa Hermosa is pretty cool though.

15. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh and leave the girl behind. If the surf is cranking, you'll wish she wasn't there :) j/k

16. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Bring extra money to pay off the cops right? HAHA, or you may get a knife pulled on you, who knows....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  17. bodiezap

bodiezap New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I agree about jaco... so sketchy with all the trannies and drugs... it can ruin your trip along with the, sorta ok sometimes, waves. DEF dont take your lady there

18. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    cresto..How many people are actually going to A) travel to Negra B) bring the necessary dive gear and have the knowledge to use it?...Newsflash; Costa has been blown up for years. If you become acquainted with any local down there they are more than willing to share information...I didn't divulge any secret knowledge which couldn't be obtained on lonely planet or through common sense....Honestly, I would be happy to take out some travelers to lesser known areas which I am familiar with.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  19. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    +1 with surfcosta.com went to costa rica and stayed with them last winter for a week, best trip of my life

20. JLEVY13

JLEVY13 Member

Oct 1, 2012
    How is Hotel Playa Negra?