Five finger gloves

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by VBVA, Dec 25, 2010.

1. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    For the pass years i've always surfed with lobster claws, but this year I got a 5 finger glove and when paddling out my fingertips felt excruciating pain. I don't know if its the cold or the glove itself rubbing it raw, but are there ways to help this? Or should I just buy different gloves. Suggest a comfortable one. The gloves I was wearing O'niell Psycho 3mm

2. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    3mm could be your problem, i would also go 5mm for gloves.

Also, since it's your first time using 5 fingers you may not be used to them, but I definitely think its the thickness

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

3. Double Over-toe

Double Over-toe Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    my old excel gloves were a 5 finger and after they got "broken in" they loosened up and began to form to my hand. it sucks but its just one of those things you gotta deal with i guess with new gloves. i just bought another pair of 5mils and wore for the first time today and i had the same experience.

4. fulltilt720

fulltilt720 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2008
    xmas eve was my fourth or fifth time in my xcel 5mm drylocks. Little bit of discomfort after a while; a pinching sensation at the ends of my fingers. I'm hoping this will subside. At the same time though, I made sure to remember how much I hated the feeling of the lobster gloves and how dysfunctional they felt. My mitts definitely took in more water than my 5 fingers. The xcel drylocks have an amazing seam.

5. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I've been using Excel 5m Infiniti 5 finger gloves for the past three years. My hands are the warmest part of my body. Love them. A little bulky and hard to take off but worth it for the warmth. Plus I love the grip. They do form fit after awhile but no water ever gets in. The glove also seems to help with paddling easier because of the size. Yes it could be you need to switch to 5m and Excel. I put a little bit of vasiline or dermatone on my finger tips to overcome the rubbing problem and it helps get them off a little easier. Same for the toes. It adds another barrier from the cold.

6. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    How much are drylock gloves?

7. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Drylocks 5 mls are around $45 or $50 pending where you go.

8. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    damn. I love the drylock booties, but Im ****in brokee

9. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I have 5 finger 5 mil F-bombs. Never had any pain and they keep my hands warm enough. Most guys think their gloves need to fit tight - I find my hands are more comfortable and stay warmer if there is a little room. I had mittens last year - I believe they are a bit warmer but I prefer 5 fingers. I was out twice last week for about 2 hrs sessions and my hands stayed warm. It was fun last week but now I'm battling a kick a$$ sinus infection from hell.

10. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Yeah I went out Christmas day, and I was super warm. I was actually sweating bullets, but my finger tips were in so much pain. I took my gloves off and dipped them in warm water and the pain multiplied so much I almost shed a tear. I probably should of gotten out the moment I felt pain in stead of trying to get a good last wave.

11. Jeep_Builder

Jeep_Builder Member

Oct 29, 2010
    I picked up a set of 5 Mil F- bomb five fingers from the 17th Street in VB last night. They have a 20% off sale going up through end of day New Years eve. Picked up F-bomb booties 5 mil and a 3 Mil hoodie, plus a nice pair of Oneil board shorts for like $150 all said and done. If you get a chance to head in there today I suggest doing it.