follow the leader

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by purpleheadedyogurtslinger, Jul 9, 2012.

1. purpleheadedyogurtslinger

purpleheadedyogurtslinger Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    so I was at the beach yesterday and every 10 minutes or so I saw a ride-able wave come through. So, I grabbed the log and caught a few. Had the entire ocean to myself for a solid 10 minutes. But then, Man, did people come out of the woodwork to come sit next to me. It was like me catching a couple on the log was like a tornado warning to every benny within a mile radius. I saw everything from soft tops to "grovel boards" come on dudes you can't grovel in 0.7ft swell, hp short boards, you name it. The best was a guy on like a 6'10 pin tail with not a lick of wax on it. I actually laughed out loud at him and he looked at me all tough guy like. Oh lolz.

After a few minutes I said "f*ck this, you can have it" and went back to my cooler. So, if that was you, at 62nd street in vb yesterday, that was me on the log, and I hate you.

2. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    At least you didn't have to compete with the sponge tribe on 600 CB North this weekend. Bodyboarders were rolling deep all weekend.

3. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012

Haha, I feel your pain. Tis' the season in VB

4. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    C'mon you love it. Let me guess; the same bs waves were coming in all over town too? I love when its peaky beach break, you find your own peak, and get surrounded anyway. Then you paddle up/down to the next peak to be alone or not in a crowd, get some more good ones and then they follow you to that peak. At this point I TRY to laugh, paddle to another peak, and watch the sheep follow. It becomes a funny game where I confuse them and count how many times they'll paddle to and fro. ;]

5. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    NOBODY OWES YOU ANYTHING!!!! LOL. that sucks... trying to find a couple scraps to eat and it turns into a feeding frenzy over nothing.

6. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Ahh! One of many reasons I move away from VB every chance I get. That sucks... but it is a known surf spot with a decent bar. Surfed there with a friend 3 weeks ago, mid-day small walled up LB waves which was surprising seeing how high the tide was. A police boat pulled up. I thought "crap! a ticket for surfing". He just waved and pulled off. At least you can surf there now. When I was in high school, summer, between 9-5 it was 3 places to legally surf with out getting a ticket and harassed by police... 1st street, Pendelton, and Croatan... Thats it. Ohh and right about that time most all the free parking left, disappeared at the first two and at Croatan they reduced the number of parking spots by two thirds AND restricted remaining parking to 9-6 eliminating the early AM and a good chunk of the late sesh. At least things are improving some around there for surfers because it was looking pretty bleak there a few years ago.

7. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Never went back to that place (62nd and up) after I got my tires punctured (with sharpened hex keys) last spring.

But I hear what you're saying, happened to me many times up there, and continues to happen down here, where there's a couple of hundred yards of separation between guys in the line-up, then some kid with 2 of his best buds decide to invade my "inconsistent" peak. I was actually amazed at the patience of some of the old-timers at 1st St. This time of the year is the worst, when that spot is littered with tourists, and the locals still continue to flock there even on a knee high day.

8. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    ^^^^ Whaaaaaa? It's never that good or secret in VB to puncture someone's tires. That's ridiculous... Probably some of the young surf rats. I think most of the older crew know that its retarded to try to claim VB as anything but a free for all knee high wave with no semblance of organization. If they're rep'n VB that hard they need to get out and travel.